Author Topic: Hello  (Read 1082 times)

Offline christianos

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
Hello
« on: May 12, 2010, 01:54:59 AM »
Just wanted to introduce myself to the forum, and this seemed the appropriate place to do so :)

I look forward to browsing through the various threads, and I'm sure I will contribute as I have time to do so.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +264/-33
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 02:00:08 AM »
Welcome to the forum. Just one thing:
Mind telling us if you're an atheist/theist (and if you're a theist mind telling us your religion?)
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline christianos

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 02:07:58 AM »
Mind telling us if you're an atheist/theist (and if you're a theist mind telling us your religion?)

Sure, I don't mind at all.  I am a theist, and more specifically, a follower of Christ. 

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +264/-33
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 02:09:45 AM »

Sure, I don't mind at all.  I am a theist, and more specifically, a follower of Christ. 

Which of the ~38000 denominations do you belong to?
Just saying "christian" doesn't really help =/
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

Offline Tealeaf

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 02:14:45 AM »
Which 'christ' by the way? You mean the supposed Jesus man/god hybrid of Israel?

Offline christianos

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 02:17:22 AM »

I don't really belong to a denomination per se.  I've attended several churches, some denominational, some non-denominational.  But, all were "Christian" in that they professed Christ and His teaching.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +264/-33
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 02:18:41 AM »

I don't really belong to a denomination per se.  I've attended several churches, some denominational, some non-denominational.  But, all were "Christian" in that they professed Christ and His teaching.

OK then, which of the 50+ versions of the bible do you read from?
We choose our own gods.

Offline christianos

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 02:19:53 AM »
Which 'christ' by the way? You mean the supposed Jesus man/god hybrid of Israel?

Yes, Jesus Christ.  These days, that is generally the man/God that most people refer to when using the term Christ.

Offline christianos

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 02:22:28 AM »

I don't really belong to a denomination per se.  I've attended several churches, some denominational, some non-denominational.  But, all were "Christian" in that they professed Christ and His teaching.

OK then, which of the 50+ versions of the bible do you read from?

I read from many versions, but I really enjoy the NRSV.  I used to read the NIV almost exclusively mainly because it was the first bible I ever had, and it was a little easier to read and understand then some other versions.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 11:39:56 AM by christianos »

Offline God of War

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
    • The God Critic
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 06:30:15 AM »
Welcome to the forums!

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 06:32:23 AM »
Welcome.  You sound like a "true" Christian and you even understand the bible. ;)
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Operator_011

• Fellow
  • Darwins +17/-1
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 08:11:54 AM »
Hi christianos. Welcome to WWGHA.

Enjoy!

Eleven.
Former Moderator Account

Offline christianos

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 11:03:19 AM »
Hi christianos. Welcome to WWGHA.

Enjoy!

Eleven.

Thank you Eleven!

Offline christianos

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 11:04:18 AM »
Welcome to the forums!

Thanks for welcoming me.

Offline Agga

• Fellow
  • Darwins +27/-42
  • The Forum is made of its members.
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2010, 11:12:21 AM »
Sup, christianos.

Welcome to the fold.  May you learn as you go.

Agga :)
I've left WWGHA now, so do everyone else a favour and don't bother replying to my old posts and necromancing my threads.

Offline christianos

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2010, 11:42:00 AM »
Sup, christianos.

Welcome to the fold.  May you learn as you go.

Agga :)

Thanks Agga.

Offline thatguy

• Graduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2010, 11:58:55 AM »
Well. I have a few questions about you.

How old are you? Were you raised Christian?
Do you believe the Bible to be 100% true?
If not, mostly true?
Do you accept the biblical creation story?
What brought you to this forum?
FORCING children to fear your imaginary terrors is child abuse.

Offline christianos

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2010, 12:15:49 PM »
Well. I have a few questions about you.

How old are you? Were you raised Christian?

34, and yes, I was raised in a Christian tradition.

Do you believe the Bible to be 100% true?
If not, mostly true?

I believe the bible is God-inspired.  I believe some of it is allegorical, a large amount is narrative, and in keeping with this perspective, then yes, I believe it is "true".

Do you accept the biblical creation story?
Yes, I do think God is responsible for creation of our universe.

What brought you to this forum?
Many things, but mainly the WWGHA site invited me to :)

Offline thatguy

• Graduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2010, 12:22:29 PM »
Well, when you see a contradiction:
"And the Lord spake to Moses face to face, as a man speaketh to his friend." (EXO 33:11)
"No man hath seen God at any time." (JOH 1:18)

Are you one to admit that one verse is wrong or make up an excuse?

And by the creation story, I'm refering to the six day creation in Genesis, about 6000 years ago.

Or have you found some middle ground (Old earth creationism), and if so, do you accept evolution? (I would assume if you did, you would believe in theistic evolution.)

Also, what do you think of these verses?

Numbers 31. 17 Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, 18 but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

Offline christianos

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2010, 12:56:35 PM »
Well, when you see a contradiction:
"And the Lord spake to Moses face to face, as a man speaketh to his friend." (EXO 33:11)
"No man hath seen God at any time." (JOH 1:18)

Are you one to admit that one verse is wrong or make up an excuse?

I don't really see a true contradiction here.  I believe John was more than well aware of Moses and the Pentateuch  (as were all Jews), and even references the law of Moses in the verse prior.  Given what we know about John, I think it can be concluded that John was likely speaking in general to the audience reading his account, in full knowledge that no one in existence at that point had ever seen God, and we know that because we know from other accounts that no one can see God and live, except by the grace of God himself.

It is also entirely possible that Moses never actually saw God's "face" as by his own account, God kept His back to Him.  Even though they spoke in proximity to one another as a man would "speak to a friend" who is indeed present

And by the creation story, I'm refering to the six day creation in Genesis, about 6000 years ago.

Or have you found some middle ground (Old earth creationism), and if so, do you accept evolution? (I would assume if you did, you would believe in theistic evolution.)
Well, this question is much to large for this introductory thread, but I will give you my positions:

Literal 6 day creation: possible (as all things are, however unlikely), but it is also entirely possible that this is an allegorical account.  I tend to agree more with #2.

Evolution: Do I believe that things "change", yes.

Also, what do you think of these verses?

Numbers 31. 17 Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, 18 but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.
I think being unclean in the eyes of Moses/Israel would not be an enviable position after what happened at peor.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 01:11:11 PM by christianos »

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +264/-33
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2010, 12:58:57 PM »
So you're a cherry picker.

Does it make sense and is it good? Claim it's 100% literal
It doesn't make sense or isn't good? Claim it's metaphorical/allegorical/whatever

You either follow the book to the letter or you say it's all metaphorical/allegorical. You can't have it both ways. By that logic we could all be worshiping Harry Potter
We choose our own gods.

Offline christianos

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2010, 01:06:05 PM »
So you're a cherry picker.

Does it make sense and is it good? Claim it's 100% literal
It doesn't make sense or isn't good? Claim it's metaphorical/allegorical/whatever

You either follow the book to the letter or you say it's all metaphorical/allegorical. You can't have it both ways. By that logic we could all be worshiping Harry Potter

I think you're in error in your assessment of the bible.  It is a vast collection of many different sources, with many different literary styles.  To treat them all the same would be erroneous from the start.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +264/-33
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2010, 01:09:20 PM »
I think you're in error in your assessment of the bible.  It is a vast collection of many different sources, with many different literary styles.  To treat them all the same would be erroneous from the start.

Ignoring the fact that if your god were truly benevolent and omnipotent he would've chosen people with the same literary styles so the book didn't need a decoder ring, you have the TRUE magic decoder ring to tell you which parts are literal and which are not and to tell you what they mean exactly when they aren't literal
This is "OneTrueChristian" stuff. It is a wrong line of thinking for obvious reasons like:

How can you be sure the parts you consider literal are literal and vice-versa?
How can you be sure YOUR interpretation of the book is the correct one?
How can you be sure your version of the book is the correct one?
We choose our own gods.

Offline christianos

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2010, 01:19:25 PM »
I think you're in error in your assessment of the bible.  It is a vast collection of many different sources, with many different literary styles.  To treat them all the same would be erroneous from the start.

Ignoring the fact that if your god were truly benevolent and omnipotent he would've chosen people with the same literary styles so the book didn't need a decoder ring, you have the TRUE magic decoder ring to tell you which parts are literal and which are not and to tell you what they mean exactly when they aren't literal
This is "OneTrueChristian" stuff. It is a wrong line of thinking for obvious reasons like:

How can you be sure the parts you consider literal are literal and vice-versa?
How can you be sure YOUR interpretation of the book is the correct one?
How can you be sure your version of the book is the correct one?

Well, again, a much bigger question probably requiring it's own thread, but I will give you the short answer.  I don't personally claim the "onetruechristian" philosophy.  I think the majority of the bible is indeed literal.  It's fairly well accepted which parts are narrative vs. literal.  I think you're probably referring more to Christians who alternate back and forth over "difficult" passages of scripture.  To those few "up in the air" parts, we have to use observation and common sense if we really feel it is important to determine whether the earth is 6000 years old or 60 million.  But, accepting that all things are possible with an all powerful God, we could be erroneous yet.  

In general, I believe the vast amount of the Old Testament is narrative and/or prophetic, and that the New Testatment is also mainly narrative, and specifically written to individual churches (most of the Pauline literature/letters), and is generally accepted to of course be literal.

I've run out of time for now, but thanks for the engaging questions.  I will check back later to see if any new threads have spawned that would be of interest, or if there are additional questions to look at.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 01:22:07 PM by christianos »

Offline Operator_A25

• Reader
  • Darwins +7/-0
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2010, 01:34:44 PM »
Welcome christianos.

No debating in the Introduce Yourself discussion area.

-A25
Former Global Moderator Account

Offline christianos

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2010, 02:28:44 PM »
Welcome christianos.

No debating in the Introduce Yourself discussion area.

-A25

Thanks for welcoming me.  I was simply responding to some questions, but I indeed suggested that we could also spawn some threads to discuss some of these items in more detail knowing this is more the introductory thread.  Any questions addressed to me in the general forum I would be more than willing to discuss in more detail.

Also, any other general "get to know you" questions are more than welcome in this thread.

Thanks again for welcoming me.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 06:04:13 PM by christianos »

Offline thatguy

• Graduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2010, 12:33:47 AM »
Sorry. I didn't mean to start a debate. I guess it's kind of a compulsion. Haha.

Seriously though, welcome to the forum. Maybe we'll learn something from eachother. However unlikely.   ;D

Offline christianos

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2010, 12:51:39 AM »
Sorry. I didn't mean to start a debate. I guess it's kind of a compulsion. Haha.

Seriously though, welcome to the forum. Maybe we'll learn something from eachother. However unlikely.   ;D

Why would that be unlikely?  Rare does a day go by that I don't learn SOMETHING new.  I think it is quite likely, at least on my side, that I will learn something from our interactions. :)

Offline thatguy

• Graduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2010, 12:53:57 AM »
I was kidding.