Author Topic: 10 questions challenge  (Read 12225 times)

Offline Grendel

• Student
  • Darwins +2/-0
Re: 10 questions challenge
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2010, 05:15:59 PM »
So now we give props to people who make up their own mealy-mouthed religion and attempt to debate it?
This 'free will' nonsense didn't seem to bother your god when it set up the sting operation in the Garden of Eden with two magic trees and a Talking Snake™

Offline Woland

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2010, 05:26:15 PM »
So now we give props to people who make up their own mealy-mouthed religion and attempt to debate it?

Not me.

I'm not holding my breath anymore in the hopes that an intellectually honest theist will show up here.

You never know...

Woland

Offline yoran91

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2010, 02:54:30 PM »
Question #4: Why does the Bible contain so much anti-scientific nonsense?

I agree that there are things in the bible as it is now that are total nonsense.  For example, the whole God creating the world in 6 days is nonsense.  It's also a translation error. The word for day can also mean era. 

Just felt the need to point this out: the actual 'creating' (bara) turns out to be a translation error , among many, according to a Dutch professor who studied the OT. What is actually written down is God separating the heavens from the earth, which makes much more sense than creatio ex nihilo
Scientia non habet inimicum nisp ignorantem. Quaere verum.

Offline daywalker1966

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2010, 01:33:30 PM »
If you are a non Christian person obviously the cration issue is nonsense pure and simple.  If you are a Christian, obviously you are dealing with the supernatural and a six day creation would be a miraculous event.  Trying to figure it out from a purely non belief scientific standpoint is like trying to bend a board in half and expecting it not to break, it wont work.

Offline Asmoday

• Reader
  • Darwins +29/-0
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2010, 02:31:17 PM »
If you are a non Christian person obviously the cration issue is nonsense pure and simple.  If you are a Christian, obviously you are dealing with the supernatural and a six day creation would be a miraculous event.  Trying to figure it out from a purely non belief scientific standpoint is like trying to bend a board in half and expecting it not to break, it wont work.
This is nonsense.

Reality and scientific evidence of events do not change depending on what a person does or does not believe in. If there was a god and this god created everything in six days, the evidence would show just that. The age of a fossil does not suddenly jump from 6000 years up to several million years just because an atheist is doing the testing. Supernatural event or not, a creation done in six days would leave it's mark on the world and the rest of the universe, even if the act of creation itself was a supernatural event, and it show quite clearly even if the evidence is gathered by non-christians.

Absilio Mundus!

I can do no wrong. For I do not know what it is.

Offline Positiveaob

• Reader
  • Darwins +5/-0
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2010, 02:36:06 PM »

Change the words "purely non belief scientific standpoint" to "purely non-delusional scientific standpoint" and I agree with your post.
If you desire peace of soul and happiness, then believe; if you would be a disciple of truth, then inquire. - Neitzsche

Support the Military Religious Freedom Foundation!

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +64/-0
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2010, 02:45:37 PM »
Trying to figure it out from a purely non belief scientific standpoint is like trying to bend a board in half and expecting it not to break, it wont work.

...What's the breaking point of wood in a steam box?!? Anyone know?
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +346/-19
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2010, 03:09:04 PM »
well, it can be pretty amazing even without steam
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QspGC1_bhHw&feature=related[/youtube]
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline voodoo child

• Reader
  • Darwins +10/-0
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2010, 03:19:47 PM »
Trying to figure it out from a purely non belief scientific standpoint is like trying to bend a board in half and expecting it not to break, it wont work.

...What's the breaking point of wood in a steam box?!? Anyone know?

if its done quickly enough there is no breaking point. you can make a pretzel if you like.
(former shipyard worker on classic wooden boats. now marine engineer.)
The classical man is just a bundle of routine, ideas and tradition. If you follow the classical pattern, you are understanding the routine, the tradition, the shadow, you are not understanding yourself. Truth has no path. Truth is living and therefore changing. Bruce lee

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +485/-5
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2010, 07:14:34 AM »
This is nonsense.

Reality and scientific evidence of events do not change depending on what a person does or does not believe in. If there was a god and this god created everything in six days, the evidence would show just that. The age of a fossil does not suddenly jump from 6000 years up to several million years just because an atheist is doing the testing. Supernatural event or not, a creation done in six days would leave it's mark on the world and the rest of the universe, even if the act of creation itself was a supernatural event, and it show quite clearly even if the evidence is gathered by non-christians.

I agree and disagree at the same time.  I agree that any test done would yield the same results, whoever does the test (assuming they did it honestly).  But I disagree that an ultra-powerful god would be unable to create a universe in 6 days, but not at the same time be able to create it "old" (I forget the name of the argument, but I know its a fairly famous aplogetic).  Sort of like a master computer hacker creating a file today, but then altering the document properties so that it displays a creation date of last month.

The question then becomes WHY a god would want to cover up the truth of his creating in such a manner that it would appear, to all tests, quite at odds to the way his holy book describes it.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline Asmoday

• Reader
  • Darwins +29/-0
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2010, 03:55:20 PM »
I agree and disagree at the same time.  I agree that any test done would yield the same results, whoever does the test (assuming they did it honestly).  But I disagree that an ultra-powerful god would be unable to create a universe in 6 days, but not at the same time be able to create it "old"
And I completely agree with this.

I actually did not want to say, that a creator god could not create a universe in 6 days but make it look older. I simply did not include this possibility in my previous post because most Christians don't go down that route.

But of course you are completely right, an omnipotent god could create an older looking universe. Just as you said, that would beg the question why a god would want to do that, cause it would be quite a sneaky thing to do.
Absilio Mundus!

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +346/-19
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2010, 08:17:15 AM »
But of course you are completely right, an omnipotent god could create an older looking universe. Just as you said, that would beg the question why a god would want to do that, cause it would be quite a sneaky thing to do.
I'd call it intentionally deceptive and considering people can be supposedly tortured for eternity for believing this god's lie, I would say the only answer to that question is that this god is pretty much all the things Christian claim their evil entity is.
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline UnReal

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
Slavery
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2010, 03:13:13 PM »
The issue of slavery in the bible is oft misunderstood.  This is what I know; slavery as depicted in the bible and other cultures is not the kind of servitude that we relate to, it was more of an endentured servant routine, such as owing someone a debt that you could not pay, so as a result you went to work to work the debt off.  As pointed out in the bible there were times when these "slaves" were known to like their masters enough to stay with them. 

What we relate to is chattell slavery where people are taken against their will and forced to work with no pay, often to the point of death and punished brutally for disobedience.  Slaves like in our own history were treated worse than cattle.  That is the difference.  The bible did not preach that kind of inhumanity, and taking it out of context was how people justified using black people among others as "beasts of burden."

Ginnae

Offline Jessie

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Sweet mother of Abraham Lincoln!
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2010, 03:47:25 PM »
The issue of slavery in the bible is oft misunderstood.  This is what I know; slavery as depicted in the bible and other cultures is not the kind of servitude that we relate to, it was more of an endentured servant routine, such as owing someone a debt that you could not pay, so as a result you went to work to work the debt off.  As pointed out in the bible there were times when these "slaves" were known to like their masters enough to stay with them.

Slaves were bought and sold like cheap furniture. Do you think it's moral for a father to sell his daughter into slavery?

Slaves like in our own history were treated worse than cattle.  That is the difference.  The bible did not preach that kind of inhumanity, and taking it out of context was how people justified using black people among others as "beasts of burden."

"When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished.  If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property." (Exodus 21:20-21)

That doesn't sound like humane treatment to me.
"Two hands working can do more than a
thousand clasped in prayer." – Anonymous
-----
"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent
force for atheism ever conceived." – Isaac Asimov
-----
"The government of the United States is not,
in any sense, founded on the Christian religion." - John Adams

Offline OnePerson

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
Re: Slavery
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2010, 04:26:44 PM »
The issue of slavery in the bible is oft misunderstood. 

No, we understand, we just don't tolerate it.  I know it's shocking, but there are people in this world who are against killing babies and treating other humans as property.

Offline Asmoday

• Reader
  • Darwins +29/-0
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2010, 04:43:02 PM »
No, it is understood as it is. But today most Christians rightfully abhor slavery (as any modern human should) and they have to redefine what slavery means in the bible, because otherwise they'd have to pray to a god which condones slavery.

This is what I know; slavery as depicted in the bible and other cultures is not the kind of servitude that we relate to, it was more of an endentured servant routine, such as owing someone a debt that you could not pay, so as a result you went to work to work the debt off.
Sorry, but you should read the bible again. Slavery with the Israelites was just the same slavery as with any other culture of that time and to this day.

The Israelites made a distinction between their own people and "heathens" from other tribes around them. They also made a distinction between Israelite men and females.

If a master bought(!) (He did not subscribe himself as a servant) a Hebrew man as a slave, he had to let him go after 6 years (Exodus 21:2). But If a master bought a Hebrew woman, she was not to be set free after six years but his forever (Exodus 21:7); and it was completely his decision to set her free, give her to a male Hebrew slave as wife, take her as wife himself (just a fancy word for legal rape in this case) or let one of his sons take her as wife or sell her off to someone else.
No slavery here. No sir, none at all. Go along, nothing to see here, keep moving.

If a male Hebrew slave would be given a female slave as a wife, then after the six years the woman and her children would not be set free. Only the man could go. The woman remained the property of the master and all children born by her were automatically the property of the master; they are born as slaves and property of the master. (Exodus 21:4)
If the man wanted to stay with his wife and kids he had no other choice but to become a slave for the remainder of his life (Exodus 21:5-6).
Sounds fair and just, wouldn't you say?

It was a very different thing with the "heathens" though. The bible encourages the Israelites to buy (Notice how the bible says "buy them" instead of "letting them sign up as servant"?) their slaves from the heathen tribes around them. Those guys and girls became property for life with no chance to get out. Even if their master died, they did not become free, they are inherited to his children. (All of the above: Leviticus 25:44-46)
Right, ladies and gentlemen. This is not slavery at all. They probably enjoyed it...those filthy heathens.

As pointed out in the bible there were times when these "slaves" were known to like their masters enough to stay with them.
Right, because they had no other choice at all.

What we relate to is chattell slavery where people are taken against their will and forced to work with no pay,
Oh, you mean like those people from the towns the Israelites conquered and who were counted like cattle as part of the spoils of war and then distributed among the leaders, priests and soldiers (Oh and some were sacrificed to your god). (Example: Numbers 31)

Nice going. Though I guess you're going to tell me, these girls joined willingly. I mean, come to think of it, they had nowhere to go after the Israelites slaughtered all their fathers, mothers, husbands, brothers...they slew everyone who was either male or had already slept with a man. One can only wonder, what they did with those 32000 virgins (minus 32, because God demanded those to be sacrificed to him as his share of the booty)

often to the point of death and punished brutally for disobedience.  Slaves like in our own history were treated worse than cattle.
Oh, you mean like when the Israelites are allowed by God to beat their slaves black and blue, and it's all fine as long as they don't die instantly? (Exodus 21:20-21)

Little fun fact: They were not even considered humans, because when a man or a woman would be gored by an ox, the owner of the ox and the ox would be put to death. If the ox would gore a slave, only the ox would be killed and the owner of the ox would just have to pay the master of the slaves for the loss of his property. (Exodus 21:28 and 21:32)

That is the difference.
Right, I can really see the difference now.  &)

The bible did not preach that kind of inhumanity, and taking it out of context was how people justified using black people among others as "beasts of burden."
Yep, in the bible it's all flowers and rainbows. Completely taken out of context all that nonsense about slavery actually meaning slavery. Preposterous!  &)

EDIT: I have heard Christians make the point, that there would be a second way out for the Hebrew man married to a female slave during the six years other than becoming a slave for live; instead they say the man could pay money to the master for his wife's contract to end to take his wife and kids with him. But it should be kept in mind, that if the man was not able to buy himself out of his own "contract" in the first place, then where was the money supposed to come from to buy out his wife and maybe several children?
Does anybody really want to try and make the argument, that if someone had the money to buy themselves out of six years of forced labour, they'd rather keep the money and see if their master introduces them to a nice female slave during that time? (Keep in mind the masters are allowed to beat their slaves to death, as long as they don't die instantly.)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 05:50:52 PM by Asmoday »
Absilio Mundus!

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Laureate
  • Darwins +1149/-39
  • We stand on the shoulders of giants
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2010, 05:07:29 PM »
Good points Asmoday and Dracori.  You covered the bases well.  I just wanted add a little.

1. then why did the translators of the bible use the word "slave"?  If "indentured servant" was a better representation, why did they not use that?  They were at liberty to use any word in the english language, yet, they chose "slave".  Perhaps that is because they meant "slave"?

2.  why were there no commandments against slavery?  yhwh saw fit to make rules against murder, theft, worshipping other gods, wearing poly-blend clothes, cooking a goat in milk, eating shellfish, and where a menstruating woman can sleep. But yhwh never made rules against keeping people as property.  It just made rules about how to treat them.

I think it is pretty clear, slaves are the same in the bible/ ancient middle east as anywhere else.

I know this is a difficult thing for xians to come to grips with.  You are confronted with a glaring problem - an obviously unethical and immoral teaching in your alleged holy book.  Rather than deal with it honestly you try to redefine the words.  Slave does not really mean slave.  It means "voluntary helper".  Glory does not really mean glory.  Faith does not mean faith.  Jealous does not mean jealous. 

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Ambassador Pony

• You keep what you kill.
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +72/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2010, 06:51:11 PM »
bm
You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +485/-5
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2010, 04:08:28 AM »
No, it is understood as it is. But today most Christians rightfully abhor slavery (as any modern human should) and they have to redefine what slavery means in the bible, because otherwise they'd have to pray to a god which condones slavery.

Asmoday, thank you for an extremely well researched response.

It's just sad that UnReal will, I'm sure, not be responding to it.  It far too specifically rebuts his bleat that "slavery in the bible is misunderstood" for him to be able to counter it.  After all, he'd have to be saying that the Bible itself was wrong in what it said.  So UnReal will NOT be responding to your post.

Prove me wrong, UnReal.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline Operator_011

• Fellow
  • Darwins +17/-1
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2010, 05:44:23 AM »
The 'topic' of johngrissom's cause has been split-off to its own thread which you can find here.
Former Moderator Account

Offline ILoveJesus

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2010, 07:31:58 AM »
Q: Why won't God heal amputees?
A: He does. The wounds of an amputee heal, don't they? Watch a wound heal. It really does look incredible. But why won't their limbs regrow? Well let's look at a starfish. If you cut a arm off, does it regrow? Yes. Are we related to a starfish in any way? NO. Do our nails grow back? Yes! That's pretty amazing :D

Q: Why are there so many starving children?
A: God no longer interferes with humans directly, ever since the flood of Noah's day. The way your life is is the way you chose it to be, or what your parents/ancestors helped it to become.

Q: Why does God demand the death of so many innocent people in the Bible?
A: Think realistically here. God loves everyone single one of his creations. If he didn't, why would he create it? If you're allergic to Peanuts, do you eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for breakfast? No. Many Christians work on the Sabbath day, and many of them still love God with all their hearts. It is also natural for teens to rebel against parents. I was just the way they were made. Who made them? God.

Q: Why does the Bible contain so much anti-scientific nonsense?
A: It doesn't. Why did you even consider this as one of the questions? This question is utter bullshaz. Firstly, answer this. How do you know that God didn't create the world in 6 days? Sure you might reply: "THE LAYERS OF ROCK IN THE ROCK FORMATIONS.", but now you imagine if God was real. He could have EASILY created rock layers for decoration of this beautiful world that he spoke into motion.

Q: Why is God such a huge proponent of slavery in the Bible?
A: God created all humans for equality. Slaves in the Bible could have meant animal slaves. You might never know ;)

Q: Why do bad things happen to good people?
A: Not everyone in the world is 100% perfectly good. Everyone sins, and for that, they must be punished.

Q: Why didn't any of Jesus' miracles in the Bible leave behind any evidence?
A: This is probably one of the dumbest question you've come up with. What happened with the evidence that Jesus healed a blind man? THE BLIND MAN DIED OF OLD AGE. What happened to the evidence of Jesus reviving the dead girl? THE GIRL DIED LATER OF OLD AGE. Where's the evidence of Jesus turning water to wine? Oh right. IT WAS DIGESTED IN THE STOMACHS OF THOSE WHO DRANK THE WINE. Though the Bible itself is a good piece of evidence :)

Q: How do we explain the fact that Jesus has never appeared to you?
A: Jesus will appear when the time is right.

Q: Why would Jesus want you to eat his body and drink his blood?
A: By "body" he meant BREAD, and by "blood" he meant WINE.

Q: Why do Christians get divorced at the same rate as non-Christians?
A: Once again, God does not interfere with your life directly. What you do is up to you.

Answered all 10 of your questions. Beat the challenge, and still believe in God :]

Offline Ambassador Pony

• You keep what you kill.
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +72/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2010, 07:45:39 AM »
You wrote things after each question. One can train a pigeon to do that. But you answered very little intelligently, or with very much knowledge of the bible.

Can you try again after you've actually read your entire holy book?
You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +109/-17
« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2010, 07:49:29 AM »
A: Once again, God does not interfere with your life directly. What you do is up to you.

So god doesn't answer prayer then. I see.
Seriously, you guys are the meanest people I have ever met.  I hope you are happy and feel really good about yourself. 

Offline ILoveJesus

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2010, 08:01:32 AM »

Why, yes he does.

However, if I prayed: "Dear Lord please give me a billion dollars."

That would not happen. He wouldn't just create a billion dollars and just put them in my pocket. No, I would have to earn that billion dollars. God might give me the opportunity to earn a billion dollars, or the motivation to do so, yet he will NOT give me the money straight up.

You wrote things after each question. One can train a pigeon to do that. But you answered very little intelligently, or with very much knowledge of the bible.

Can you try again after you've actually read your entire holy book?

There is only one thing to say at this time.

Nou.

Offline plethora

• Fellow
  • Darwins +60/-1
  • Metalhead, Family Man, IT Admin & Anti-Theist \m/
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2010, 08:02:58 AM »
Q: Why won't God heal amputees?
A: He does. The wounds of an amputee heal, don't they? Watch a wound heal. It really does look incredible. But why won't their limbs regrow? Well let's look at a starfish. If you cut a arm off, does it regrow? Yes. Are we related to a starfish in any way? NO. Do our nails grow back? Yes! That's pretty amazing :D

That is completely missing the point of the question. Christians claim that god performes miracle healings. They claim he cures people of cancer all the time by answering people's prayers. However, no matter how much an amputee sincerely prays to god, his limbs will never, ever, ever grow back.

This example merely illustrates that, in fact, there is no god answering prayers.

Q: Why are there so many starving children?
A: God no longer interferes with humans directly, ever since the flood of Noah's day. The way your life is is the way you chose it to be, or what your parents/ancestors helped it to become.

Since the flood? ... and what about Jesus?

... and this is supposed to be an all-loving omnibenevolent god? Think about what you've said here for a second.

You know why you don't see a god intervening? Because there isn't a god at all.

Q: Why does God demand the death of so many innocent people in the Bible?
A: Think realistically here. God loves everyone single one of his creations. If he didn't, why would he create it? If you're allergic to Peanuts, do you eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for breakfast? No. Many Christians work on the Sabbath day, and many of them still love God with all their hearts. It is also natural for teens to rebel against parents. I was just the way they were made. Who made them? God.

God loves us so much he let's the priests who represent him rape children and doesn't do anything about it. Nice.

You didn't answer the question. Why does god order and demand the slaughter of other nations in the bible. In some cases, killing all the men, women and children except for the young virgin teens. Answer the question.

Q: Why does the Bible contain so much anti-scientific nonsense?
A: It doesn't. Why did you even consider this as one of the questions? This question is utter bullshaz. Firstly, answer this. How do you know that God didn't create the world in 6 days? Sure you might reply: "THE LAYERS OF ROCK IN THE ROCK FORMATIONS.", but now you imagine if God was real. He could have EASILY created rock layers for decoration of this beautiful world that he spoke into motion.

I see. So he's just fucking around with us? You think this is nice of him? He creates the world in 6 days, he says so in the bible... but he makes the earth and cosmos seem billions of years old. He planted dinosaur bones in the earth just to fuck with us? or are you one of those batshit nutters who thinks humans and dinosaurs actually walked the earth together?

Q: Why is God such a huge proponent of slavery in the Bible?
A: God created all humans for equality. Slaves in the Bible could have meant animal slaves. You might never know ;)

You're either a troll, pretending to be a fundie or you are just plain stupid and need to check in the closest medical facility as soon as possible.

Slave, by definition, is a person who is owned by another person. When have you ever heard anyone refer to a animal as a slave?

Have you ever even read the bible?

Q: Why do bad things happen to good people?
A: Not everyone in the world is 100% perfectly good. Everyone sins, and for that, they must be punished.

This does not answer the question. If a person is good, why do bad things happen to that person?

Q: Why didn't any of Jesus' miracles in the Bible leave behind any evidence?
A: This is probably one of the dumbest question you've come up with. What happened with the evidence that Jesus healed a blind man? THE BLIND MAN DIED OF OLD AGE. What happened to the evidence of Jesus reviving the dead girl? THE GIRL DIED LATER OF OLD AGE. Where's the evidence of Jesus turning water to wine? Oh right. IT WAS DIGESTED IN THE STOMACHS OF THOSE WHO DRANK THE WINE. Though the Bible itself is a good piece of evidence :)

You are definitely a troll.

The bible claims these events happened. It can't prove itself. These events need to be proven the same we can prove the earth's real age.

Q: How do we explain the fact that Jesus has never appeared to you?
A: Jesus will appear when the time is right.

Preaching ...

Q: Why would Jesus want you to eat his body and drink his blood?
A: By "body" he meant BREAD, and by "blood" he meant WINE.

Why use "body and blood" as metaphors? It sounds disgusting.

Q: Why do Christians get divorced at the same rate as non-Christians?

So christians are doing no better than non-christians.

Answered all 10 of your questions. Beat the challenge, and still believe in God :]

You haven't even touched the sole of the feet of this challenge. All you've done is troll, preach and make baseless claims.

The bible proves the bible... durf-di-durf.
The truth doesn't give a shit about our feelings.

Offline plethora

• Fellow
  • Darwins +60/-1
  • Metalhead, Family Man, IT Admin & Anti-Theist \m/
« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2010, 08:05:31 AM »

Why, yes he does.

However, if I prayed: "Dear Lord please give me a billion dollars."

That would not happen.

How about praying for him to stop allowing tsunamis, earthquakes, hurricanes, tornados, volcanos, etc ... from killing thousands of inoocent people.

How about a global cure for AIDS, cancer, cholera, etc ...

You just said he doesn't intervene ... but he does answer prayers. You've contradicted yourself because answering prayers is intervening.
The truth doesn't give a shit about our feelings.

Offline monkeymind

• Fellow
  • Darwins +44/-4
  • I don't understand what I know about it!
    • How To Know If You Are A Real Christian
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2010, 08:07:35 AM »
My personal favorite is the one about those pretty little decorative sedimentary layers. Thanx for the laugh!
Truthfinder:the birds adapt and change through million of years in order to survive ,is that science, then cats should evolve also wings to better catch the birds
Mailbag:On a side note, back in college before my conversion, I actually saw a demon sitting next to me in critical thinking class.

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +109/-17
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2010, 08:11:25 AM »

Why, yes he does.

Then your claim that "God does not interfere with your life directly" is false.

Have a nice day young 14 year old.
Seriously, you guys are the meanest people I have ever met.  I hope you are happy and feel really good about yourself. 

Offline ILoveJesus

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2010, 08:12:42 AM »
Woah guys hold it!!! I can't answer all these questions at once... Please wait until AFTER I answered one question...

Soooo about the 10 answer reply, I'll get back to you tomorrow when I have more time than right now

"You just said he doesn't intervene ... but he does answer prayers. You've contradicted yourself because answering prayers is  intervening."

Firstly, I believe I said "Does not intervene directly". However, giving one the motivation to achieve a goal he has been praying upon is intervening indirectly :P