Author Topic: Hello [#428]  (Read 418 times)

Offline DL

• Fellow
  • Darwins +0/-0
Hello [#428]
« on: September 17, 2008, 05:37:58 PM »
Your video, very nice, I never have beleived in any religion.

What I want to say is, shouldn't you be making similar videos related to the supernatural, any intellect can configure their mind to easily push out the concept of ghosts. You seem to be a strong beleiver in science, I can't say I am but I certainly beleive that science is a clever way of explaining things therefore the better option, science has repeatedly defied te existence of ghosts and explained every reasoning for them, yet people beleive in them as much as their religion, i've even seen athiests like myself beleive in them, I wonder if you see eye to eye with me being that you have all these explainations for why god doesn't exist, surely ghosts do not exist either, just a thought i think you should be thinking about making a similar video to the ones you have already posted related to the supernatural.

It would be nice to hear from you.
[name]
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 05:41:42 PM by DL »

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
Re: Hello [#428]
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 08:22:45 PM »
Your video, very nice, I never have beleived in any religion.

I didn't make the videos, but I agree.  They are well done.

What I want to say is, shouldn't you be making similar videos related to the supernatural, any intellect can configure their mind to easily push out the concept of ghosts.

That would be a good goal, and it clearly has to be done by someone.  Personally, my main concern with religion is when it leans heavily on supernatural claims to justify horrible acts that end in a decrease in knowledge or an increase in bigotry, pain, suffering, and death.  Any religion that does not support supernaturalism usually doesn't have these other negative effects, and thust I don't have a concern about those religions.

You seem to be a strong beleiver in science, I can't say I am but I certainly beleive that science is a clever way of explaining things therefore the better option, science has repeatedly defied te existence of ghosts and explained every reasoning for them, yet people beleive in them as much as their religion, i've even seen athiests like myself beleive in them, I wonder if you see eye to eye with me being that you have all these explainations for why god doesn't exist, surely ghosts do not exist either, just a thought i think you should be thinking about making a similar video to the ones you have already posted related to the supernatural.

I agree it would be nice for more people to do this sort of thing.  James Randi and other skeptics do an amazing job.  If you'd like to get a list of skeptic resources, just ask me.  I'd be happy to oblige.

One attempt to bring skepticism to a broader audience is a TV show called The Skeptologists.  It may never make it, but they did complete a pilot program to see if they can get a contract for an ongoing series;

http://www.skeptologists.com

On a personal note, I have a sister who is also an atheist but she doesn't know why some of her ideas are good and why others are bogus.  She's currently getting suckered into some new-age health products.  Thankfully, she knows that I will research these issues and she takes my word on if it is OK or not to buy these products and use them.  Unfortunately, she has not developed a critical mind about these things herself ... though I am slowly showing her how she can figure out what is *probably* valid and what is probably not and why.

It would be nice to hear from you.

If you want to come by the forums, please do so.  The focus is very narrow, though, and won't change.  Unfortunately, the amount of credulity out there is quite astounding -- making it necessary to specialize.
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer