Author Topic: 10 question you must ask if your a christian [#418]  (Read 478 times)

Offline DL

10 question you must ask if your a christian [#418]
« on: September 16, 2008, 11:21:26 AM »

First I just wanted to tell you that I loved your video. I am an atheist and I am always arguing with ignorant religious people. I just want to tell you that your video said that there never was a flood that covered the top of mt. Everest. Well my friend we dont know that. Have you ever heard of the ancient Sumerian people. Well they are the first known species of man who have there own form of writing, agriculture, schools, and many other things. It is pretty strange because before them all we have records of is primitive stone age people bashing rocks together and then poof out of no where man starts building huge megalithic structures and writing books and things.

Oh but to get back to my point. The sumerians have a few scrolls with the creation of earth and how humans were made on this planet. In the story of mans creation there is a story called the illiad. Who ever made the bible stole this story from the Sumerians and called it Noa's arch. The only reason I believe that this flood could have happened is because in some of the Sumerians scrolls they have our entire solar system mapped out with every planet in its correct alignment with the sun.

They even have the size, proportion, and color of the planets correct, Including a tenth planet that we didn't discover until recently. They called it Nibiru. We had no idea about this tenth planet until recently. The Sumerians say that our ancestors live on this tenth Nibiru. If you dont know much about the Sumerians Plz check them out they are one of the most fascinating subjects I have ever delved into. I am sure it will help you get a better Idea of humans as a species and the universe itself. thx 4 your time and video post.

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
Re: 10 question you must ask if your a christian [#418]
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 11:55:21 AM »
Thanks for the notes on the Sumerians.  Didn't know about Nibiru; I'll have to take a look at it.  I'm always interested in mythology.

As for any flood, we have ice cores, sediment layers, and genetic information that go much further back than any local records.  There is no world wide flood in human history, and none before that that I am aware of.  Every flood I know of was regional.

The Biblical flood story, like much of the Bible, came from other cultures or from the pre-Jewish and Jewish areas of the region.  The flood came from the epic of Gilgamesh (Sumerians), just as the '10 Commandments' came from the Egyptian book of the dead.

Here are two links;

Epic of Gilgamesh
http://www.ancienttexts.org/library/mesopotamian/gilgamesh/

Egyptian Book of the Dead (section with 10 commandments precursor)
http://www.wsu.edu/~dee/EGYPT/BOD125.HTM
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • Moraxella catarrhalis on BA
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 12:16:00 PM »
I too have never even heard of the Sumerians... (rubs chin scholarly like) I'll have to look in to this matter.

But just like any story of a great flood, regardless of who wrote it or when, it's just a story. We don't have any evidence as listed by Hermes that any great and worldwide flood happened.  I do wonder about these Sumerians though.  If they were truly correct in their placement and descriptions of the planets then they were either brilliant astronomists and mathematicians or really lucky guessers.
La scienze non ha nemici ma gli ignoranti.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 12:58:38 PM »

First I just wanted to tell you that I loved your video. I am an atheist and I am always arguing with ignorant religious people. I just want to tell you that your video said that there never was a flood that covered the top of mt. Everest. Well my friend we dont know that. Have you ever heard of the ancient Sumerian people. Well they are the first known species of man who have there own form of writing, agriculture, schools, and many other things. It is pretty strange because before them all we have records of is primitive stone age people bashing rocks together and then poof out of no where man starts building huge megalithic structures and writing books and things.

Oh but to get back to my point. The sumerians have a few scrolls with the creation of earth and how humans were made on this planet. In the story of mans creation there is a story called the illiad. Who ever made the bible stole this story from the Sumerians and called it Noa's arch. The only reason I believe that this flood could have happened is because in some of the Sumerians scrolls they have our entire solar system mapped out with every planet in its correct alignment with the sun.

They even have the size, proportion, and color of the planets correct, Including a tenth planet that we didn't discover until recently. They called it Nibiru. We had no idea about this tenth planet until recently. The Sumerians say that our ancestors live on this tenth Nibiru. If you dont know much about the Sumerians Plz check them out they are one of the most fascinating subjects I have ever delved into. I am sure it will help you get a better Idea of humans as a species and the universe itself. thx 4 your time and video post.

oh my.  So, the sumerian myths are real but the Christian ones aren't.  No, there was no flood on Everest.  Never, ever.  Everest was once the bottom of a sea.  It was uplifted by the collision of the Indian sub-continent with Asia. 

as for the planets and the Sumerians, well, this does a better job than me: http://www.michaelsheiser.com/nibirupage.htm

"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline sparhawk

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 01:15:52 PM »
I have to admit, the Sumerian ruins here in Iraq are impressive. The one family that lives in Ur today descends from one of the original excavators. http://iraq-travel.suite101.com/article.cfm/city_of_ur_abrahams_home

In the story of mans creation there is a story called the illiad.

Umm... mix mythology much?
Why am I atheist?
"Here I stand; I can do no other" Martin Luther
"Thou shalt not follow a multitude to do evil;" Exodus 23:2