Author Topic: Absurd Moments in Christian Worship  (Read 2598 times)

Offline Matt__

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
Re: Absurd Moments in Christian Worship
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2010, 07:49:11 PM »

Seriously....No! Seriously. I'm an Australian, and i've been to church, i've met all kinds of "xtians", but c'mon. While watching those videos I spewed a little bit in my mouth. I wholey didn't understand the magnitude of stupidity you poor american atheists have to deal with. I can't even express what i'm feeling. I'm not sure if it's anger or disbelief, but i've just lost my appetite.

This kind of stuff is so far outside of "everyone is entitled to their own beliefs". These people need serious psychiatric help. I may be reading into the replies a little bit, but it seems as though most of you jokingly brush these kinds videos off. I mean does it make any of you as sick as I, or have you just come to see futility in any attempts at helping people like these?

Offline none

• Fellow
  • Darwins +30/-11
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2010, 07:51:18 PM »
he who laughs last...

Offline alihaymeg

• Reader
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2010, 09:47:10 PM »
This kind of stuff is so far outside of "everyone is entitled to their own beliefs". These people need serious psychiatric help. I may be reading into the replies a little bit, but it seems as though most of you jokingly brush these kinds videos off. I mean does it make any of you as sick as I, or have you just come to see futility in any attempts at helping people like these?

I can't speak for everyone who is American, but I actually grew up being dragged into this kind of situation on a regular basis. My father was a "traveling evangelist" and I have seen almost every form of this kind of emotional display. Although I never engaged in this kind of thing myself, I can tell you that it is mostly the product of conditioning and observational learning. I equate it to the phenomenon of "slam dancing". You look at the idiots beating each other's brains out and realize that they are actually getting something out of it. It's a frenzy of emotions that are inappropriate to release in most settings. That environment gives a person the latitude to do almost anything that they feel like doing and calling it "Holy Ghost" inspired. There was a movement that encouraged this kind of behavior, but it is much rarer now than it used to be. Thanks a lot though, I’m gunna’ have nightmares about watching my Uncle run around the church building yelling and shaking like he’s having a seizure!
1 Jebus:19:4 Nobody makes me bleed my own blood...nobody!

Offline Noman Peopled

• Reader
  • Darwins +24/-1
  • [insert wittycism]
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2010, 04:18:12 AM »
Can't speak for US American, but yeah it makes me literally sick.
"Deferinate" itself appears to be a new word... though I'm perfectly carmotic with it.
-xphobe

Offline jedweber

• Fellow
  • Darwins +19/-0
  • Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2010, 08:35:19 AM »
Some of these Pentecostals also believe that God magically drops gems on their church services. There's loads of videos like this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjMnCwJPI7I&feature=related[/youtube]

I bet if you looked into it you'd find one of them bought cheap fake jewels at a dollar store and put them on the floor.

Offline Noman Peopled

• Reader
  • Darwins +24/-1
  • [insert wittycism]
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2010, 10:18:58 AM »
Try pawning those ..
"Deferinate" itself appears to be a new word... though I'm perfectly carmotic with it.
-xphobe

Offline jedweber

• Fellow
  • Darwins +19/-0
  • Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2010, 10:42:35 AM »
The Indian holy man Sai Baba does the gemstone trick too, which skeptics revealed were cheap fakes his aides bought in a market. I'd bet my bank account that something similar is going on in these Pentecostal churches. These Christians don't even bother to do the simple magician's trick of pretending to conjure them out of the air. They just leave them around and pretend to find them later. Lazy gits.

Offline Noman Peopled

• Reader
  • Darwins +24/-1
  • [insert wittycism]
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2010, 02:27:36 PM »
The Indian holy man Sai Baba does the gemstone trick too, which skeptics revealed were cheap fakes his aides bought in a market. I'd bet my bank account that something similar is going on in these Pentecostal churches. These Christians don't even bother to do the simple magician's trick of pretending to conjure them out of the air. They just leave them around and pretend to find them later. Lazy gits.
That reminds me of a somewhat offensive joke about Alzheimer patients being able to hide their own easter eggs ...
-xphobe

Offline Xero-Kill

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +10/-0
  • Wait... what?
Re: Holy Ghost Hokey Pokey
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2010, 09:37:15 AM »
Watch the whole thing. Seriously.

I like how there's just one kid sitting there like "Wtf" the entire time. Crazy people man, crazy...

That is the behavior I got to witness in church, and I was exactly like that kid. In fact, he was the first person I noticed in the video and I instantly identified with him. I suppose he could be just like the rest of them and perhaps he wasn't feeling well... but I would think if that were the case then surely they would have put him in the middle of it all... you know, for his benefit.  &)
"Our fathers were our models for God. If our fathers bailed, what does that tell you about God? You have to consider the possibility that God does not like you. He never wanted you. In all probability, he hates you. This is not the worst thing that can happen."

~Tyler Durden

Offline desmodia

• Graduate
  • Darwins +3/-0
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2010, 11:14:39 AM »
Another way to see this is to think of the level of repression and boredom necessary to make this kind of behavior into a desired release. These people apparently don't do alcohol or drugs, take physical sports risks, or engage in serious meditation or any other activity that would lift (or lower) their lives out of the humdrum...I've always thought that the terrible, hardscrabble quality of life in the Appalachian mountains was what gave snake-handling its ecstatic thrill (I'm from that area, never seen an actual snakehandling although I've known plenty of people who engaged in it, and am very aware of the stark quality of life for most mountain people and for many Southerners in general.

Ever driven through a rural area in Georgia or the like? Imagine living there -- a holy laughter or hokey pokey session would look thrilling.
"Ak..Ak..AK AK!" from the Martian emperor's speech to Congress, Mars Attacks