Author Topic: If you have a question about Jesus  (Read 18665 times)

Offline voodoo child

• Reader
  • Darwins +10/-0
Re: If you have a question about Jesus
« Reply #261 on: March 20, 2010, 02:59:22 PM »
What were they thinking when they cast her?

nice curves?  ;D
The classical man is just a bundle of routine, ideas and tradition. If you follow the classical pattern, you are understanding the routine, the tradition, the shadow, you are not understanding yourself. Truth has no path. Truth is living and therefore changing. Bruce lee

Offline bertatberts

• Reader
  • Darwins +48/-8
  • Humanists. Not perfect. Not forgiven. Responsible.
« Reply #262 on: March 20, 2010, 03:32:38 PM »
What were they thinking when they cast her?

nice curves?  ;D
Yes Fool did have quite a few, but I wouldn't say they were nice, more like irritatingly ignorant.
We theists have no evidence for our beliefs. So no amount of rational evidence will dissuade us from those beliefs. - JCisall

It would be pretty piss poor brainwashing, if the victims knew they were brainwashed, wouldn't it? - Screwtape. 04/12/12

Offline Jim

• Reader
  • Darwins +11/-1
  • Born Again Atheist
« Reply #263 on: March 20, 2010, 03:37:00 PM »
Heh.
Survey results coming soon!

Offline ReasonIsOutToLunch

« Reply #264 on: March 20, 2010, 06:38:36 PM »

Ok, I can understand this arguement works from the perspective of someone who is attracted to women. But, it does nothing for me. She is pretty, big whoop. Seriously, the movie would have been much better if they cast someone not as pretty, but who could actually sing. Or they could have done some magic with lip syncing. That voice should have never been committed to a recording.
God, doesn't know pi.

Offline Gimpy

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #265 on: March 20, 2010, 06:41:22 PM »

Ok, I can understand this arguement works from the perspective of someone who is attracted to women. But, it does nothing for me. She is pretty, big whoop. Seriously, the movie would have been much better if they cast someone not as pretty, but who could actually sing. Or they could have done some magic with lip syncing. That voice should have never been committed to a recording.

I don't know how old you are or what gender, or what gender preference, but Ann-Margaret was a woman's woman, too. Women wanted to be like her. She exuded sexuality, even with her singing, which, if I recall, was actually considered "sultry"??? whatever, she was a hugely loved and admired sex symbol and, well, sex symbols sell.

Plus she probably gave some time on the casting couch, which was pretty durn common back then. Probably still is, for all I know!
Not all those who wander are lost; some are buried in my backyard. . .

« Reply #266 on: March 20, 2010, 07:02:40 PM »
^^^Ok, now I get it. I am a tomboyish female, but I like well big burly guys. I never tried to be um sultry. And she is a bit before my time. My friends wanted to be like Farrah Fawcett. I thought they were nuts. I wanted to be like Grizzly Adams, minus the beard.
God, doesn't know pi.

Offline Bad Pear

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +16/-0
  • Observations from one bad fruit to the bunch.
« Reply #267 on: March 20, 2010, 07:08:16 PM »
I wanted to be like Grizzly Adams, minus the beard.

What's wrong with beards?  :shrug
Atheism is not a mission to convert the world. It only seems that way because when other religions implode, atheism is what is left behind

« Reply #268 on: March 20, 2010, 07:11:51 PM »
I wanted to be like Grizzly Adams, minus the beard.

What's wrong with beards?  :shrug

They are lovely on men. Even on some women, if you are into that kind of thing  ;D
God, doesn't know pi.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +268/-31
« Reply #269 on: March 20, 2010, 07:37:25 PM »
Perhaps this thread should be moved to Chatter?
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline SherB

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Doubt everything. Find your own light.
« Reply #270 on: March 20, 2010, 08:29:19 PM »
It's a good question. You might be surprised at the answer.

The Bible says that the cross was a demonstration(of God's righteousness). He was revealing the situation as it truly was since long before the crucifixion. God had been forgiving peoples sins and treating them graciously for all time, and had created the world well aware of the suffering that would be caused by his creatures acting disobediently. Since God knows all things, He is intimately aware of the suffering of every man woman and child who ever came into existence. So when Jesus went to the cross, it was to SHOW people the character of God. It was to REVEAL that God was humble and lowly in heart, and that He cared for us and has always cared for us. It was to PROVE that God had not abandoned His people, or failed in His promise.

Total crock, although I realize it is the accepted answer among christians, even though it makes absolutely zero sense. If god wanted to forgive people, he didn't have to invent some bizarre ritual involving 'his son,' another inane concept, since god is supposed to be beyond people and probably doesn't even have any genitals, so the concept of 'his son' could only be metaphorical anyway. Even accepting that, the ritual of having him allow himself to be crucified, a form of execution reserved for the worst of the worst criminals, to take on everyone's sins, still makes no sense. It's god that decided people were sinners and needed forgiveness in the first place. If he decided they should be forgiven, all he had to do was give a little speech about it and--zap--done.

The one thing about it that makes any sense at all is the resurrection. That shows, at least according to religious leaders, that christians don't stay dead. So the sheeple would be happy to A, go willingly to death in support of the church, and B, since defeating death was up to the will of jesus, at least as channeled by religious leaders, keep the followers in line and doing as told. Stray from the path and be doomed---obey without question and be saved. Shit, it's still used exactly in that way, even though it's 2000 years later and we're supposed to know way more about the universe than we did back then.

The reason it had to be a human sacrifice is because that's what the primitive tribes of the day understood. Blood sacrifice goes back to cave days. If you wanted to appease the gods you killed something and gave it to them. Some gods seemed to prefer virgins tossed into volcanoes, other liked theirs tied to an altar and their hearts cut out and eaten. The god of the jews, at least according to what we have written down from the time, dug animals, mostly sheep and goats, as his sacrifices, for whatever reason. The important part was that if you wanted some big juju with your local deity, you killed something or someone for him.

Whoever wanted to be in charge of this particular population figured this out, and so the idea of the human sacrifice that would be bigger and better than any sacrifice before was born. I say the leaders because, while christians still believe the instructions were coming from god, since I don't believe in jesus or god, but am pretty sure that then, as now, there were the sheeple-herders and the sheeple. To be in the know and gain power over the great unwashed, they had to figure out what would impress them most. A super-duper sacrifice that combined both human and deity was the ticket. And that's what they got. A ringside seat to the sacrifice to end all sacrifices.

This is all assuming that the crucifixion ever happened, which it may or may not have. I'm inclined to accept that at least part of the new testament story involves things that really happened, but that it was the leaders posturing to impress the dummies. If true, it seems to have worked. Not only do millions of people believe that the crucifixion and resurrection actually happened, but they have built an entire mythology based on those events with it's own back story, and the myth survives today, when science really should have taught people better. Actually, it really gives credit to the manipulation and control a bunch of dumb desert sheepherders came up with. Kudos, bible patriarchs---excellent story!

That's my take on the crucifixion, for whatever it's worth.   ---SherB
A dictionary definition of fascism: The control of government by large corporations with right-wing ideologies, driven by bellicose nationalism.

Offline Agga

• Fellow
  • Darwins +27/-42
  • The Forum is made of its members.
« Reply #271 on: March 21, 2010, 01:07:05 PM »
Perhaps this thread should be moved to Chatter?
This thread should just be locked.  No, trashed.  Yeah trashed would be better so that the mug doesn't keep his proselytising thread on the site.
I've left WWGHA now, so do everyone else a favour and don't bother replying to my old posts and necromancing my threads.

Offline Al Stefanelli

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Professionally Charming Curmudgeon
    • Al Stefanelli - The Rantings of a Professionally Charming Curmudgeon
« Reply #272 on: March 21, 2010, 01:10:58 PM »
Organized Religion is like Organized Crime; it preys on peoples' weakness,
generates huge profits for its operators, and is almost impossible to eradicate.

Offline Operator_011

• Fellow
  • Darwins +17/-1
« Reply #273 on: March 21, 2010, 01:54:37 PM »
This thread's now in the bottomless pit to die its final death.
Former Moderator Account

Offline Ambassador Pony

• You keep what you kill.
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #274 on: March 21, 2010, 04:17:57 PM »
*rolls boulder over the tomb*

That should do it.
You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #275 on: March 22, 2010, 11:10:37 AM »
Ann Margaret couldn't carry a tune in a bucket. What were they thinking when they cast her?

I don't know, I liked her version of "Bye Bye Birdie" (the song), and I enjoyed her in "Newsies". Of course she was old at that point, and had more experience.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #276 on: March 22, 2010, 11:13:29 AM »

Actually, I found most of the singing in the film to be bland.  As if they were going for something more plain than over-the-top.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +64/-0
  • I'll bleed for my own 'sins' thank you very much
« Reply #277 on: March 27, 2010, 06:36:53 AM »

That should do it.

*jumps on boulder to make sure it's secure*
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Offline Gimpy

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #278 on: March 27, 2010, 11:04:35 PM »

That should do it.

*jumps on boulder to make sure it's secure*

**grabs a bucket of red paint and paints the following on the boulder:

Not all those who wander are lost; some are buried in my backyard. . .

Offline rlyte

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #279 on: May 04, 2010, 07:31:27 PM »
Please ask, I love Jesus and I love talking about Him.

Jesus is the way the truth and the life, may jesus bless you my brother!!

Offline Grogan

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
    • I Deny God
« Reply #280 on: May 04, 2010, 08:15:11 PM »

Remember when Jesus sacrificed himself to himself to save all of us from himself? That was really swell.
Quote from: kenn
You want to understand God and the world around you through science and logic alone and, because you cannot come up with a "reasonable" explanation for what they ate when leaving the ark, you dismiss it.

Offline ally16

« Reply #281 on: May 12, 2010, 10:14:35 PM »
Show me a verse from the bible where Jesus himself claims to be God.  Not "Son Of God" or "Messiah" ... God.  Not once does Jesus make the claim for himself.  
The question posed regarded whether Jesus claimed to be divine. Jesus made many claims about His divinity.

You are asking me to show Jesus making the claim to be God.

What is God?
The trinity consists of the Holy spirit,God, and Jesus. The are all one.

Offline SherB

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #282 on: May 13, 2010, 12:35:24 AM »

Remember when Jesus sacrificed himself to himself to save all of us from himself? That was really swell.

;D
A dictionary definition of fascism: The control of government by large corporations with right-wing ideologies, driven by bellicose nationalism.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #283 on: May 13, 2010, 11:14:39 AM »
The trinity consists of the Holy spirit,God, and Jesus. The are all one.

“Christ, according to the faith, is the second person in the Trinity, the Father being the first and the Holy Ghost the third. Each of these persons is God. Christ is his own father and his own son. The Holy Ghost is neither father nor son, but both. The son was begotten by the father, but existed before he was begotten--just the same before as after. . . .

“So, it is declared that the Father is God, and the Son God, and the Holy Ghost God, and that these three Gods make one God.

“According to the celestial multiplication table, once one is three, and three times one is one, and according to heavenly subtraction, if we take two from three, three are left. The addition is equally peculiar, if we add two to one, we have but one. . . .

“Nothing ever was, nothing ever can be more perfectly idiotic and absurd than the dogma of the Trinity.”
— Robert G. Ingersoll (1833-1899), "The Trinity" (from "The Foundations of Faith," The Works of Ingersoll). The Trinity" has been set to music by Dan Barker ("Friendly Neighborhood Atheist" CD).
thanks to today's FFRF daily email. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Jim

• Reader
  • Darwins +11/-1
  • Born Again Atheist
« Reply #284 on: May 13, 2010, 11:35:42 AM »
I wonder what the Holy Sprit's job is supposed to be?  God is the insane "kill 'em all!" head of house, Jesus is the hippie do-good idiot child who got killed.  The Holy Spirit... flies around like a bird?

Long ago in Sunday school, that was never properly answered for me.
Survey results coming soon!

Offline Agga

• Fellow
  • Darwins +27/-42
« Reply #285 on: May 13, 2010, 12:17:32 PM »
I wonder what the Holy Sprit's job is supposed to be? 
The convictor, the messenger, the... the... um...  I'm out. :shrug
I've left WWGHA now, so do everyone else a favour and don't bother replying to my old posts and necromancing my threads.

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
« Reply #286 on: May 13, 2010, 07:38:46 PM »
I wonder what the Holy Sprit's job is supposed to be? 
The convictor, the messenger, the... the... um...  I'm out. :shrug

jesus the carpenter's spirit level

very handy when building a religion
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Offline Agga

• Fellow
  • Darwins +27/-42
« Reply #287 on: May 13, 2010, 07:40:03 PM »
^^ He he.. on form again, I see. ;)

Offline Timtheskeptic

• Reader
  • Darwins +20/-1
  • atheist and loving it
    • atheist blogspot
« Reply #288 on: May 22, 2010, 10:43:10 AM »
Fool: A person who hears claims from people has written the bible.

Me: So if i heard about some claim that there is a pink cat who speaks all languages, does that make it any less true than your Bible?

Fool: I would kill my wife and kids if God commands me to.

Me: That line right there is precisely why i don't want to marry any theists like yourselves. Please go to the psychiatric ward and stay there.

Me:What are you looking at Eminem?
Brother: Nothing, Harry Potter.

I love to read books, just not your Bible. i support gay rights and women's rights. Why? Because i'm tired of the hate, stupidity, and your desire to control us all and make up lies.

Offline SherB

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #289 on: May 22, 2010, 08:57:54 PM »
I wonder what the Holy Sprit's job is supposed to be?  God is the insane "kill 'em all!" head of house, Jesus is the hippie do-good idiot child who got killed.  The Holy Spirit... flies around like a bird?

Long ago in Sunday school, that was never properly answered for me.

I learned from watching Mr. Diety videos. Not only are they entertaining, now I even know what everyone in the Trinity looks like, and it's just as I imagined. Seriously, watch the videos, they're killer. And the Holy Spirit is Larry, who I think tries to be god's conscience.  As in the bible, though, god ain't listening...