Author Topic: Glen Beck is an Idiot...  (Read 19640 times)

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
Re: Glen Beck is an Idiot...
« Reply #116 on: August 27, 2010, 02:46:26 PM »
That Beck had to implore his followers NOT to bring signs (infringing on their speech rights?!) is very telling. He knows EXACTLY the sorts of signs that would show up.
Hmmm, didn't know about that.  As you say, how telling. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Max Kodan

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #117 on: August 27, 2010, 02:58:30 PM »
That Beck had to implore his followers NOT to bring signs (infringing on their speech rights?!) is very telling. He knows EXACTLY the sorts of signs that would show up.
Hmmm, didn't know about that.  As you say, how telling. 

By the by, anyone know what time this is supposed to happen?  (East Coast, same time zone as D.C)
If you consider speed to be a 3D vector it doesn't really matter whether you call it momentum or speed.

Offline Gimpy

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #118 on: August 27, 2010, 03:12:13 PM »
According to The Christian Science Monitor (in an article discussing whether this is a political rally or not), it states, "Information packets provided to those who have registered to attend say flatly not to publicly display embarrassing statements. . ." (though wonder how they determine that since most of the teabaggers I know think it's a-okay to show Obama with a bone in his nose)

They are also told to leave their firearms at home. . . wonder how well this went over with them.
Not all those who wander are lost; some are buried in my backyard. . .

Offline Max Kodan

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #119 on: August 27, 2010, 03:18:57 PM »
According to The Christian Science Monitor (in an article discussing whether this is a political rally or not), it states, "Information packets provided to those who have registered to attend say flatly not to publicly display embarrassing statements. . ." (though wonder how they determine that since most of the teabaggers I know think it's a-okay to show Obama with a bone in his nose)

They are also told to leave their firearms at home. . . wonder how well this went over with them.

They don't want any embarrassing statements, but...they're letting...Glenn Beck...THE Glenn Beck...speak.  On a microphone.  On national television.  Anyone sense an epic fail in the future?
If you consider speed to be a 3D vector it doesn't really matter whether you call it momentum or speed.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #120 on: August 27, 2010, 03:36:02 PM »
By the by, anyone know what time this is supposed to happen?  (East Coast, same time zone as D.C)

from Beck's website: 10 a.m. – 1 p.m. on Saturday, August 28, 2010.

"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline jedweber

• Fellow
  • Darwins +19/-0
  • Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch
« Reply #121 on: August 27, 2010, 04:10:07 PM »
In case there's any change, just turn on Fox News, I'm sure they're running constant up-to-the-minute promos. I'm sure they'll have live coverage all day tomorrow, too. It's the Teabaggers' Woodstock!

Watch for the inflated crowd counts, sure to be five or ten times whatever the authorities estimate.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +183/-8
« Reply #122 on: August 27, 2010, 09:49:30 PM »
This event would be a perfect time for the 2nd comming or the rapture.  They are all in one place and Beck is their new Moses..."Let my people go". :D
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline pingnak

« Reply #123 on: August 28, 2010, 12:16:02 AM »
Remember that 'to serve man' Twilight Zone episode?  The aliens could've just come down wearing wings and projected halos, and the Jesus freaks would rush right into the cattle hold.

Offline jedweber

• Fellow
  • Darwins +19/-0
« Reply #124 on: August 28, 2010, 08:29:24 AM »
Apparently, the more Glenn talks about God, instead of just hunting for Communists and bashing Obama, the more it makes some of his fundie followers uneasy:

Some evangelicals on defensive over partnering with Glenn Beck, a Mormon
http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2010/08/27/some-evangelicals-on-defensive-over-partnering-with-glenn-beck-a-mormon/

Anti-Beck quotes:

"The Apostle Paul warns Christians against uniting with unbelievers in spiritual endeavors," Howse wrote. "While I applaud and agree with many of Glenn Beck's conservative and constitutional views, that does not give me or any other Bible-believing Christian justification to compromise Biblical truth by spiritually joining Beck."
 "Beck asks Christian leaders to 'put differences aside,' but Beck himself daily peppers his broadcasts with Mormon distinctives because he cannot keep his beliefs to himself."

The pro-Beck side:

"Glenn Beck is being used by God - mightily," ... wrote Jim Garlow, an influential California pastor..."Glenn is not perfect... But his expose on America's sins is stellar."

"I have interviewed persons who have talked specifically with Glenn about his personal salvation - persons extremely well known in Christianity - and they have affirmed (using language evangelicals understand), 'Glenn is saved,' "
"Christians concerned about Glenn's faith should judge the tree by its fruits, not its labels,"...wrote David Barton, an influential evangelical activist who is joining Beck's rally...

I bet the pro-Beck side will carry the day, since Beck has the money, TV ratings and influence going for him...

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +183/-8
« Reply #125 on: August 28, 2010, 08:39:02 AM »
I wonder if the process has started to make him a saint.  I think you need two or 3 miracles in his name or as a result of something he did.  I think he already has one.  The fact that so many people cannot see him as the fraud that he is is a miracle in itself. ;)

Offline jedweber

• Fellow
  • Darwins +19/-0
« Reply #126 on: August 28, 2010, 08:49:21 AM »
^ Mormons and fundies don't have saints, do they? (And the Catholics are not desperate enough to start canonizing Mormon TV hosts, at least not yet.)

But I bet it's just a matter of time before somebody calls him a prophet, or claims they were healed by him through the TV...

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +313/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #127 on: August 28, 2010, 09:56:55 AM »
Watch for the inflated crowd counts, sure to be five or ten times whatever the authorities estimate.

I remember when FOX did that the last time.  They stated there were thousands of people at a rally when there were actually only a few hundred, they used footage from another rally that actually had thousands of people and stated it was for the rally in question[1].

-Nam
 1. at the time
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #128 on: August 28, 2010, 10:00:35 AM »

I remember when FOX did that the last time.  They stated there were thousands of people at a rally when there were actually only a few hundred, they used footage from another rally that actually had thousands of people and stated it was for the rally in question[1].

-Nam

1. at the time

Funny, my Dad specifically pointed out reference photos of crowds gathered in the Mall in the past, so that I would not be "fooled" by any mainstream media lies about the true attendance.  Yes, he's a Becker...

Offline Max Kodan

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #129 on: August 28, 2010, 10:04:38 AM »

-Nam

1. at the time

Oh, I remember that, good times...Jon Stewart pointed that out, didn't he?

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +313/-84
« Reply #130 on: August 28, 2010, 10:13:48 AM »
Oh, I remember that, good times...Jon Stewart pointed that out, didn't he?

I think everyone but FOX pointed that out.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline jedweber

• Fellow
  • Darwins +19/-0
« Reply #131 on: August 28, 2010, 11:25:12 AM »
I remember Beck claiming that the big tea party rally last year had 1 to 2 million marchers, something like TEN OR TWENTY TIMES everybody else's estimates, and then he blamed the mainstream media for deliberately under-counting the crowd...

Offline jedweber

• Fellow
  • Darwins +19/-0
« Reply #132 on: August 28, 2010, 11:30:04 AM »
At the moment, Fox is only reporting "thousands" at the rally, I'm sure that will upgraded to gazillions by the time of Beck's show on Monday.

Fox also just reported that Beck has asked attendees NOT to hold signs, because "this is not a political rally." LOL, he's obviously afraid of being embarrassed by his loony supporters...

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +313/-84
« Reply #133 on: August 28, 2010, 11:31:22 AM »
I remember Beck claiming that the big tea party rally last year had 1 to 2 million marchers, something like TEN OR TWENTY TIMES everybody else's estimates, and then he blamed the mainstream media for deliberately under-counting the crowd...

I just saw at Washington Post's website, that, in the artice it says, "There are thousands of people at the rally..." and then it shows a picture of just a few people on the lawn, and what looks like a couple of hundred at the memorial.

-Nam

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +313/-84
« Reply #134 on: August 28, 2010, 11:33:16 AM »
Fox also just reported that Beck has asked attendees NOT to hold signs, because "this is not a political rally." LOL, he's obviously afraid of being embarrassed by his loony supporters...

I forget what article I read it from (either the one I just mentioned, or another one) but I read that a person at the rally stated that she loves Beck because he teaches her the "real" history of America etc., and it's not what she learned in school when she was a kid.  Apparently what she learned were all lies, and what Beck says is all truth.  Idiots.

-Nam

Offline DVZ3

• Reader
  • Darwins +40/-8
« Reply #135 on: August 28, 2010, 11:51:36 AM »

You know, I didn't want to believe the 2012 "End of the World" conspiracy theory but.....  I guess the real question is...would it be Palin/Beck 2012 or Beck/Palin 2012....

Maybe 2012 really will be the beginning of the end.
Hguols: "Its easier for me to believe that a God created everything...."

Offline jedweber

• Fellow
  • Darwins +19/-0
« Reply #136 on: August 28, 2010, 12:46:53 PM »
...would it be Palin/Beck 2012 or Beck/Palin 2012....

Either way, it would be a Dream Ticket...for Democrats, and anyone who likes the absurd. Oh, please let them do it!

Offline jedweber

• Fellow
  • Darwins +19/-0
« Reply #137 on: August 28, 2010, 02:17:19 PM »
I couldn't bear to watch the thing live, but you can read the Rude Pundit's twitter coverage here:

http://twitter.com/rudepundit

Apparently Glenn repeated crap from his show, invoked God and Jesus a lot, cried like a baby, and talked about raising money. Sounds like he was indistinguishable from any low-rent televangelist.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +183/-8
« Reply #138 on: August 28, 2010, 05:29:19 PM »
Well, all I can say is that in the morning when we all get up the world will be a different place.  Thank you Glenn for changing the world.

Offline jedweber

• Fellow
  • Darwins +19/-0
« Reply #139 on: August 28, 2010, 07:24:19 PM »
CBS News came up with this figure based on aerial photographs:

Glenn Beck Rally Attracts Estimated 87,000
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20014993-503544.html

I wonder what Beck's estimate will be.

Offline monkeymind

• Fellow
  • Darwins +44/-4
  • I don't understand what I know about it!
    • How To Know If You Are A Real Christian
« Reply #140 on: August 28, 2010, 07:30:06 PM »
ABC NBC national and local news said 'hundreds of thousands.'

Geesh! I can't get it right!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619/#38895358
I listened to it again. OK what was said was tens perhaps hundreds of thousands.
The local affiliate did say hundreds of thousands.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 07:47:13 PM by monkeymind »
Truthfinder:the birds adapt and change through million of years in order to survive ,is that science, then cats should evolve also wings to better catch the birds
Mailbag:On a side note, back in college before my conversion, I actually saw a demon sitting next to me in critical thinking class.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +757/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #141 on: August 28, 2010, 09:46:47 PM »

Geesh! I can't get it right!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619/#38895358
I listened to it again. OK what was said was tens perhaps hundreds of thousands.
The local affiliate did say hundreds of thousands.

They raised $600,000 bucks. Six bucks or so per participant. Man they really love the vets the money is supposedly going to. (After expenses, of course.)

At other tea bag rallies those folks spend more than that just on crayons.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline pingnak

« Reply #142 on: August 29, 2010, 02:23:06 AM »
...would it be Palin/Beck 2012 or Beck/Palin 2012....

Either way, it would be a Dream Ticket...for Democrats, and anyone who likes the absurd. Oh, please let them do it!

It's possible these are the most sane and intelligent people left in the Republican Party.

The Talibush chased all the sane people away.

Fortunately for the Republican Party, they continue to work for the 'lowest common denominator' of American society.  Fear and crassness seem to work well for them and their constituency of the brainless.

Offline jedweber

• Fellow
  • Darwins +19/-0
« Reply #143 on: August 29, 2010, 08:05:09 AM »

Beck has reportedly claimed that 500,000 people were there.
Michele Bachmann put it at one million.

Conservative websites like the Drudge Report plaster these estimates on their front page. Then, to be "fair," news organizations like ABC and NBC have to report that there are estimates in the "hundreds of thousands."

Poor CBS, which actually paid an outside company to have experts study the aerial photographs, then looks like the odd man out and can be accused of "liberal bias." 

I don't know why these people even have to lie. Even if the turnout was only 80-100,000, that's still an impressive achievement for a rally that was basically the brainchild of one crackpot talk show host.

Offline monkeymind

• Fellow
  • Darwins +44/-4
  • I don't understand what I know about it!
    • How To Know If You Are A Real Christian
« Reply #144 on: August 29, 2010, 08:26:05 AM »

They raised $600,000 bucks. Six bucks or so per participant. Man they really love the vets the money is supposedly going to. (After expenses, of course.)

At other tea bag rallies those folks spend more than that just on crayons.

Awesome, maybe now we can get an open air MRI at our clinic. Or a stethescope or something...
Truthfinder:the birds adapt and change through million of years in order to survive ,is that science, then cats should evolve also wings to better catch the birds
Mailbag:On a side note, back in college before my conversion, I actually saw a demon sitting next to me in critical thinking class.