Author Topic: Glen Beck is an Idiot...  (Read 19294 times)

Offline jedweber

• Fellow
  • Darwins +19/-0
  • Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch
Re: Glen Beck is an Idiot...
« Reply #87 on: August 20, 2010, 10:45:01 AM »
^ That's a good point. They're almost like Christians are to Jews. The Book of Mormon (and other scriptures) are not simply extra books tacked on to the Bible. Mormons actually go back and interpret the Bible in light of Joseph Smith's newer scriptures, which leads them to different (and unique) doctrinal views.

Offline jedweber

• Fellow
  • Darwins +19/-0
« Reply #88 on: August 20, 2010, 10:54:18 AM »
By the way, I saw a few minutes of Glenn's show on the American Indians and their alleged possible connections to ancient Egyptians and Phoenicians. He never mentioned Mormonism, but I wonder if he was subtly trying to advance Mormon pseudo-archeology which teaches that a Lost Tribe of Israel settled in America?

As usual, he wasn't very clear about where he was going with this, he just babbled about a "hidden" history that has been "erased" and suppressed (by "mainstream" scholars) and admitted several times that he didn't know what it all meant...

Maybe he explained more later in the show, I couldn't sit through the whole thing...

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +658/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #89 on: August 20, 2010, 11:00:06 AM »
He never mentioned Mormonism, but I wonder if he was subtly trying to advance Mormon pseudo-archeology which teaches that a Lost Tribe of Israel settled in America?

I'd put money on it that he was.  I am surprised the real xians, who are accutely sensitive to that sort of subtle brainwashing by heretics, have not had a shit hemorrhage over it yet.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline jedweber

• Fellow
  • Darwins +19/-0
« Reply #90 on: August 20, 2010, 11:13:47 AM »
Well, to be fair, if it was there it was very well camouflaged. He never mentioned Mormons or their beliefs about Lost Israelites, it probably wouldn't have occurred to me if I didn't already know he was a Mormon. And he quickly brought out a Christian scholar who went off on a tangent about the "divine Providence" of the Pilgrims meeting an English-speaking Indian who helped them out (that's when I quit watching)...it was all slightly bizarre.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +658/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #91 on: August 20, 2010, 11:44:41 AM »
But that suits his purpose, doesn't it?  He's planting subtle seeds that native americans are related to middle easterns - a lost tribe of jews - which is absolutely false.  But if enough people hear it enough times and forget by whom it was planted, then find the idea plausible, thus the book of mormon plausible. He is a devious mother fucker.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline SherB

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Doubt everything. Find your own light.
« Reply #92 on: August 21, 2010, 03:57:51 AM »
He never mentioned Mormonism, but I wonder if he was subtly trying to advance Mormon pseudo-archeology which teaches that a Lost Tribe of Israel settled in America?

I'd put money on it that he was.  I am surprised the real xians, who are accutely sensitive to that sort of subtle brainwashing by heretics, have not had a shit hemorrhage over it yet.

I don't think that the christians who watch beck are that subtle. And a lot of them---IMO---are so entranced by the beckster that if he says it, it must be A-OK. I definitely think that from the tiny bit of him I've been able to tolerate, he's a true-blue mormon. I lived in a heavily mormon area for a while and while there are good things to say about them, like they're always polite and such, one of their tenets seems to be to not be upfront about who they are when talking to outsiders. Kind of like amway, they sell you on what great ideas they have and at the last minute wham! you get hit with the real truth. Even their commercials refer to the book of mormon as 'another story of the life of christ.'
A dictionary definition of fascism: The control of government by large corporations with right-wing ideologies, driven by bellicose nationalism.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #93 on: August 21, 2010, 01:51:13 PM »
(There are some exceptions, like the fundies who think the Catholic church is Satanic, but they're pretty much on the fringes.)

Southern Baptist is the largest (or at least in the top 2) Protestant sect in North America, and they teach that the Catholic church isn't really "Christian", and that all who are Catholic are going to Hell for worshipping Satan. (the more conservative Churches don't exactly mention "Satan" but they do elude)

Mormons are quite different, because they alone among the major sects have added a whole new set of scriptures which they place on an equal footing (or actually a superior footing) to the Bible. I would still consider them Christian, since that's how they see themselves, but their new scriptures and elevation of Joseph Smith to the status of prophet - and source of divine revelation - does set them apart in the eyes of most other Christians.

They say this about Jehovah Witness' too; of course, they could be right, on that ground but then again....

;)

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
« Reply #94 on: August 21, 2010, 01:52:26 PM »
Well, to be fair, if it was there it was very well camouflaged. He never mentioned Mormons or their beliefs about Lost Israelites, it probably wouldn't have occurred to me if I didn't already know he was a Mormon. And he quickly brought out a Christian scholar who went off on a tangent about the "divine Providence" of the Pilgrims meeting an English-speaking Indian who helped them out (that's when I quit watching)...it was all slightly bizarre.

I wonder if all these people who follow Beck, if they realize he's a Mormon, and do they recognize the guy they're following as even being a Christian?  Or are all his followers Mormon's?

;)

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +658/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #95 on: August 21, 2010, 06:46:28 PM »
I don't think that the christians who watch beck are that subtle.

I did not say they were subtle.  I said they were aware of subtle heresy.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline SherB

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #96 on: August 21, 2010, 07:59:08 PM »
I don't think that the christians who watch beck are that subtle.

I did not say they were subtle.  I said they were aware of subtle heresy.

Subtle wasn't really the word I meant to use but it didn't seem quite what I meant to say 'not that bright' but that's probably closer to correct. As far as whether many of his followers being mormon, that's actually a good question. Mormons are told straight up what they are to believe, think, and vote by their religious leaders, kind of like muslims. When I lived there a woman came out in favor of the Equal Rights Amendement that was being debated at the time, and she was publicly excommunicated because the church was against it, also because she defied her husband on the matter, which is again much like islam. And when you figure that their leaders are always white men over 80 and that homophobia is a basic tenet of their religion, you can guess which way they're expected to vote.

That doesn't answer the question about the becKKKster, but the few mormons I do still stay in contact with think he's the second coming, so they probably mostly love him. Since mormons and other christians don't really like one another for the most part---except on gays and abortion---I would expect some friction between the two groups. Of course, when your whole reason for being is to be AGAINST someone else, like Obama, unless you win that fight it doesn't matter. If they do, and as a group get some political power, then I'd expect some serious shredding to be done as to who was in charge and who was the devil-spawn. Much of this is JMO, but I can provide a link to the excommunicated lady if necessary and maybe some to mormon doctrine. Mormon doctrine isn't really public except on gay issues, but they also don't really hide it, so it's out there.
A dictionary definition of fascism: The control of government by large corporations with right-wing ideologies, driven by bellicose nationalism.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +658/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #97 on: August 22, 2010, 08:21:32 AM »
Beck's injection of mormon did not escape the Rude Pundit  As per his name, rude language ahead...

Last night, on Glenn Beck Licks His Own Taint  on Fox "news," our pudgy host with the tin foil-colored hair was on the verge of going the full Mormon. In the course of another of his incoherent rambles, the kinds of streams of consciousness that'd make James Joyce say, "Whoa, that shit doesn't makes sense," stately, plump Glenn Beck promised that he was a-gonna rock our worlds about the history of the United States. Why? Because "Divine Providence happened here. This is what was happening in America between 1730 and 1840." Which is damn convenient, since Joseph Smith wrote and published the Book of Mormon in that time.

Beck mixed in something about how Indians were thought of as savages, Manifest Destiny, Enlightenment thought, and a bunch of names. One might think of it as a yummy gumbo of information if the stock wasn't made of crazy juice spiked with bullshit. Eventually, he got around to defending Indians by saying that he's going to show us "the history that has been erased by science and the Smithsonian." Aw, sweet Brigham Young's testicle hair, finally a conspiracy theory to pin this shit on.

[continued...]

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
« Reply #98 on: August 22, 2010, 10:40:58 AM »
I wonder how many people will show up to this event of his on 8-28-10?  Is FOX pumping people to this event or Teabaggers? Maybe both?  Does he expect to rival MLKs numbers or the numbers Obama got when sworn in?  How is all this going to spin.  You know it will have to have some kind of spin otherwise it would not have played out.

Also, on a side note...Is Beck related to Joseph McCarthy?
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline jedweber

• Fellow
  • Darwins +19/-0
« Reply #99 on: August 22, 2010, 07:17:55 PM »
Southern Baptist is the largest (or at least in the top 2) Protestant sect in North America, and they teach that the Catholic church isn't really "Christian", and that all who are Catholic are going to Hell for worshipping Satan. (the more conservative Churches don't exactly mention "Satan" but they do elude)

Some of them may think that way, but they don't say that much officially. On their official mission website, they list Roman Catholicism as a denomination of Christianity, and acknowledge many shared core doctrines. (They object to certain Catholic teachings, such as the nature of sin, the role of Mary, the use of church tradition alongside the bible, etc.)

http://www.4truth.net/site/c.hiKXLbPNLrF/b.2951385/k.965A/Roman_Catholicism_Overview.htm

Mormons, on the other hand, are listed under "New Religions and Cults" that "disagree with the traditional Christian understanding of God and Jesus Christ."

So while Catholics are seen as Christians with some erroneous beliefs (which might be serious enough to send them to hell), they don't even acknowledge Mormons to be Christian at all.

Offline jedweber

• Fellow
  • Darwins +19/-0
« Reply #100 on: August 22, 2010, 07:31:23 PM »
Beck's injection of mormon did not escape the Rude Pundit  As per his name, rude language ahead...

Somebody at Gawker.com picked up on it, too:

Glenn Beck Lets the Mormon Out While Talking About Native Americans

So I guess we're not crazy.

Offline jedweber

• Fellow
  • Darwins +19/-0
« Reply #101 on: August 23, 2010, 12:15:07 PM »
Alan Keyes thinks that Glenn Beck is not conservative or Christian enough, mainly because he's not obsessed with stopping the gays. (Also, he's not a birther.)

Glenn Beck's hollow piety
http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=193445

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +658/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #102 on: August 23, 2010, 12:27:48 PM »
I think Keyes is clinically insane.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +658/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #103 on: August 24, 2010, 10:49:33 AM »
the folks at Rapture Ready are funny.

http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?145332-Glenn-Beck-pushing-his-Mormon-agenda&p=1903502#post1903502
Glen is intelligent..
But under a strong delusion with regards to who God is.. Satan has blinded him to the beliefs of Mormonism. You know its supernatural when you have someone so intelligent to believe the nonsense of this cult.

edit:
post #13 is a keeper too:
I'm pretty much done with Glenn Beck. He isn't an Christian, he's a Mormon. Big difference. His Messiah is the brother of Lucifer. Ridiculous. That counterfeit Christ person couldn't save himself, let alone anyone else.

And I've grown tired of hearing him talking about how we need to turn back to God, then continually refuse to stand for moral issues, particularly gay marriage. If that doesn't matter to him, then I think it's pretty clear he's either disingenuous in his beliefs, has not a clue about the True and Living God, or he just says things he thinks his radio and TV audiences want to hear for ratings.

Actually, it's getting a little offensive to me, particularly now when he's broadcasting a "morning prayer" for Insiders at his website. He's not even praying to the True God, but praying to a figment of Joseph Smith's demented imagination! Elohim the God-Man. And shame on the other so-called Christians participating with him! That's no better than praying with muslims, hindus, or buddhists to their "god(s)".

2Cr 6:14 -- Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

God bless.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 10:52:42 AM by screwtape »
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
« Reply #104 on: August 24, 2010, 04:41:48 PM »
Some of them may think that way, but they don't say that much officially. On their official mission website, they list Roman Catholicism as a denomination of Christianity, and acknowledge many shared core doctrines. (They object to certain Catholic teachings, such as the nature of sin, the role of Mary, the use of church tradition alongside the bible, etc.)

http://www.4truth.net/site/c.hiKXLbPNLrF/b.2951385/k.965A/Roman_Catholicism_Overview.htm

What I know is from being a Southern Baptist, and an Aunt of mine who actually works for them.  What they say 'officially' is hogwash to what they actually say 'unofficially'.

So while Catholics are seen as Christians with some erroneous beliefs (which might be serious enough to send them to hell), they don't even acknowledge Mormons to be Christian at all.

Mormon's weren't actually mentioned at all when I was a Southern Baptist; perhaps 'cause they don't see them as a threat, or something; which they should.

-Nam

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
« Reply #105 on: August 24, 2010, 04:43:19 PM »
the folks at Rapture Ready are funny.

I love Rapture Ready -- they are a fun lot.

-Nam

Offline SherB

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #106 on: August 24, 2010, 08:38:07 PM »

Last night, on Glenn Beck Licks His Own Taint  on Fox "news," our pudgy host with the tin foil-colored hair was on the verge of going the full Mormon. In the course of another of his incoherent rambles, the kinds of streams of consciousness that'd make James Joyce say, "Whoa, that shit doesn't makes sense," stately, plump Glenn Beck promised that he was a-gonna rock our worlds about the history of the United States. Why? Because "Divine Providence happened here. This is what was happening in America between 1730 and 1840." Which is damn convenient, since Joseph Smith wrote and published the Book of Mormon in that time.

Beck mixed in something about how Indians were thought of as savages, Manifest Destiny, Enlightenment thought, and a bunch of names. One might think of it as a yummy gumbo of information if the stock wasn't made of crazy juice spiked with bullshit. Eventually, he got around to defending Indians by saying that he's going to show us "the history that has been erased by science and the Smithsonian." Aw, sweet Brigham Young's testicle hair, finally a conspiracy theory to pin this shit on.

[continued...]

I absolutely ADORE the Rude Pundit! He's my hero, well, after Jon Stewart anyway!

Regarding the beckkkster's event in DC,his people have issued a guide to keep his followers safe when they get to the evil city...The article's actually pretty funny.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/features/view/feature/Tea-Partiers-Warning-Filled-Guide-to-DC-1892

This text is on the map that shows them what part of DC is safe for them. It ain't much! And I really feel left out that they didn't include atheists in their list of dangerous denizens of DC. Their text, my bolding:

SAFE
Last Updated by Laura yesterday
You can travel safely in this area without encountering immigrants, Africans, homosexuals, automatic weapons, or homosexuals with automatic weapons. If you avoid the Green and Yellow Metro lines. And buses. And coffee shops. And restaurants. And taxis.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
« Reply #107 on: August 24, 2010, 09:45:54 PM »
Didn't they do DNA sampling on the Indians some time back and conclude that they were not related to any missing tribe of Israel?  That is when the Mormons kind of backed off.  I guess they have had time to work around that now or call it some kind of conspiracy.

Offline jedweber

• Fellow
  • Darwins +19/-0
« Reply #108 on: August 26, 2010, 12:36:46 PM »
Uh oh...a few of Glenn's Christian supporters are starting to catch on...This one takes him to task for pushing Mormon "pseudo-history" about the Indians:

http://www.emailbrigade.com/98.html

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
« Reply #109 on: August 26, 2010, 01:23:03 PM »
I should start a poll.  How many think Glenn will wear his magic Mormon underwear when he gives his speech on Sat. in DC?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 08:00:12 AM by Nick »

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #110 on: August 26, 2010, 03:30:23 PM »
I'm sure he will wear the magic underwear.  God talks through them to him, you know. Those silly mormons with their talking clothes ;D

It's so sad that anyone would believe this horrible person about *anything*.  He lies and lies, claiming to be the "inheritor of civil rights" and then turns around and tries to claim he just didn't realize what date he had chosen to be at the Lincoln Memorial.  I guess once you start with claimign myths are real, outright lies aren't too far behind.  

EDIT: an interesting op-ed by MLK's son: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/08/24/AR2010082405003.html
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 03:37:07 PM by velkyn »
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
« Reply #111 on: August 26, 2010, 04:37:29 PM »
Man, I was listening on the news yesterday about how the Left is disappointed in the Right on their views of the Community Center/Mosque near ground zero, yet find it disheartening that Glenn Beck wishes to hold his rally where Martin Luther King, Jr. held his most (or one of his most) famous speech, and how that's hallow ground, and all.

Oh, I smell hypocrisy!

-Nam

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #112 on: August 27, 2010, 08:18:27 AM »
although I can see your point, I do think that there is some difference between *at* a special place and 2 blocks away from a special place. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline jedweber

• Fellow
  • Darwins +19/-0
« Reply #113 on: August 27, 2010, 08:25:45 AM »
Also, I don't know if anyone's really trying to ban Beck's rally, they're just making fun of it...

Offline Max Kodan

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #114 on: August 27, 2010, 10:45:55 AM »
Man, I was listening on the news yesterday about how the Left is disappointed in the Right on their views of the Community Center/Mosque near ground zero, yet find it disheartening that Glenn Beck wishes to hold his rally where Martin Luther King, Jr. held his most (or one of his most) famous speech, and how that's hallow ground, and all.

Oh, I smell hypocrisy!

-Nam

Hmm, that's not really comparing apples to oranges, but maybe comparing Granny Smiths to Red Delicious..es?  Anyway, nobody is saying that people can't be uncomfortable or disappointed that an Islamic community center there.  That's freedom of religion, just like Beck's speech is freedom of...well...speech.  The difference is Beck's attitude through this whole thing.  The people trying to build a community center just want a place to have a community center, while Glenn Beck is actively striving to be the next Martin Luther King Jr.  Hell, he's been talking about how he's going to take back the civil rights movement, and how "we" are the ones that started it.  He didn't mention, when he first announced this speech, that it had anything to do with MLK.  In fact, he came out later and said "Someone told me that that exact day and that exact place is where Martin Luther King Jr. held his "I Have a Dream" speech.  I was flabbergasted, I had no idea!  What a surprise!  But you know, I AM a lot like Martin Luther King.  I have a dream too." 

You can't help but facepalm at the absurdity of this man.  I mean, have you watched him recently?  He's saying that if he's killed, we'll know who did it.  And by that he meant, apparently, that he blames EVERYONE who is progressive or liberal for his "assassination".  In fact, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he faked his own death at this thing.  Hell, I'd only be half surprised if he hired someone to kill him, just to incite his followers to violence against the 'progressives'.  The man is insane, and his hubris in comparing himself to MLK Jr. is what people dislike.
If you consider speed to be a 3D vector it doesn't really matter whether you call it momentum or speed.

Offline Gimpy

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #115 on: August 27, 2010, 02:04:43 PM »
There is a significant difference in building a community center that has the legitimate goal of improving a community, working towards interfaith communion, and providing nothing more or less than a Jewish Community Center or YMCA/YWCA for an area on private property that one owns and trying to gin up false patriotism and claiming that somehow HIS group of people (mostly white?) need to RECLAIM the civil rights movement . . . and staging the "event" on public land on the very day of the most significant speech (a legitimate turning point in the REAL civil rights movement) in front of a public representation of civil rights, Abraham Lincoln's statue.

So it's most certainly NOT even Granny Smiths to Red Delicious, it truly is apples to oranges.

That Beck had to implore his followers NOT to bring signs (infringing on their speech rights?!) is very telling. He knows EXACTLY the sorts of signs that would show up.

In fact, I would not be surprised if many of the bigots that are protesting the Manhattan community center show up to Beck's gathering to "reclaim THEIR civil rights," with absolutely no sense of cognitive dissonance whatsoever.
Not all those who wander are lost; some are buried in my backyard. . .