Author Topic: Glen Beck is an Idiot...  (Read 18569 times)

Offline Gaston

• Graduate
  • Darwins +2/-0
Re: Glen Beck is an Idiot...
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2010, 02:26:49 PM »
You know who else gets too much hate put on him, Gaston?  Fred Phelps.  Doncha think?
Yes.
Agnostics are not fence sitters, as true believers on either side think, loyal to no one. We just don't believe in fences. ~ fivegalaxies, imdb

Offline SherB

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Doubt everything. Find your own light.
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2010, 12:23:17 AM »
You know who else gets too much hate put on him, Gaston?  Fred Phelps.  Doncha think?
Yes.

Really? Please elaborate for the rest of us how Phelps is maligned and misunderstood. I think it would be fascinating. You do know who he is, right? The God hates fags guy who pickets soldiers' funerals. I've never heard anybody stand up for him yet. I'd love a really thoughtful piece on how he's just expressing himself and we just don't understnd.
SherB
A dictionary definition of fascism: The control of government by large corporations with right-wing ideologies, driven by bellicose nationalism.

Offline Ananukia

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • I wear no mask.
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2010, 12:43:43 AM »
I heard he makes 32 million a year. What would you do for 32 million a year?

-nam

I would skin Glenn Beck and masquerade as him.

Does that make me a whore?
        Songs that the Hyades shall sing,
    Where flap the tatters of the King,
    Must die unheard in

Dim Carcosa.

Offline Gaston

• Graduate
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2010, 07:50:42 AM »
Really? Please elaborate for the rest of us how Phelps is maligned and misunderstood. I think it would be fascinating. You do know who he is, right? The God hates fags guy who pickets soldiers' funerals. I've never heard anybody stand up for him yet. I'd love a really thoughtful piece on how he's just expressing himself and we just don't understnd.
SherB

- I have never claimed Fred Phelps to be either maligned nor misunderstood.
- I have never claimed, nor given the impression that I am standing up for him.

So disregarding your inane extrapolations to a simple one word statement by me, I'll comment though that he gets too much hate IMO. I think the general principle is something akin to "fighting fire with fire". I look forward to what I havent stated that you will be able to extradict from my post next!
Agnostics are not fence sitters, as true believers on either side think, loyal to no one. We just don't believe in fences. ~ fivegalaxies, imdb

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +299/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2010, 12:23:43 PM »

Not a whore. A very demented and sick human being, sure -- which makes your endeavor more plausible.

;)

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline SherB

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2010, 03:16:09 PM »
I heard he makes 32 million a year. What would you do for 32 million a year?

-nam

I would skin Glenn Beck and masquerade as him.

But not a cheap whore!  ;D
SherB
A dictionary definition of fascism: The control of government by large corporations with right-wing ideologies, driven by bellicose nationalism.

Offline jedweber

• Fellow
  • Darwins +19/-0
  • Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2010, 12:22:26 PM »
Beck has lost about a quarter of his ratings since January:

What's going down with Glenn Beck's ratings?
http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2010/4/23/859998/-Whats-going-down-with-Glenn-Becks-ratings

He still has a large following (unprecedented for a 5 PM cable news show), but I'm hoping this is a sign that he's a fad which has peaked.

Offline Whateverman

• Reader
  • Darwins +6/-5
    • Skeptical Minds & Rational Thinkers
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2010, 12:42:19 PM »
He still has a large following (unprecedented for a 5 PM cable news show), but I'm hoping this is a sign that he's a fad which has peaked.

Hatred and bigotry have a remarkable ability to self-resurrect...
- SMRT Admin

Compared to this thread, retarded midget wrestling for food stamps is the pinnacle of human morality.
-- Ambassador Pony

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2010, 01:48:01 PM »
Beck has lost about a quarter of his ratings since January:

What's going down with Glenn Beck's ratings?
http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2010/4/23/859998/-Whats-going-down-with-Glenn-Becks-ratings

If it is trus then you can bet he will do something crazy (crazier) to get ratings back.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline jedweber

• Fellow
  • Darwins +19/-0
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2010, 08:16:51 AM »
Beck does seem to be stepping up the crazy this week:

Full Mental Beck
http://www.dailykos.com/tv/w/002087/

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +299/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2010, 08:54:02 AM »

I heard his "flock" has been dwindling for awhile. Even FOX seems to be distancing themselves from him in promotions etc.,

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2010, 03:26:15 PM »
How can you keep that kind of stupid fresh and believable day after day?

Offline Whateverman

• Reader
  • Darwins +6/-5
    • Skeptical Minds & Rational Thinkers
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2010, 03:56:30 PM »

Neither is required.  All it needs to be is entertaining...
- SMRT Admin

Compared to this thread, retarded midget wrestling for food stamps is the pinnacle of human morality.
-- Ambassador Pony

Offline SherB

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2010, 05:27:32 AM »

I heard his "flock" has been dwindling for awhile. Even FOX seems to be distancing themselves from him in promotions etc.,

-Nam

I hear faux took out a full-page newspaper ad with a photo of everybody at fauxnoise promoting their network. The only big absence from the shot was Mr. Beck. Some do say faux is trying to disance themselves from him, or at least not present his show as 'news' like they try to do with the rest of the gang. I don't know if it's that I've been around different people lately or what, but I sure haven't heard as much of their trash. Maybe it really is that the tighty whiteys can keep that fake outrage going for so long---it would be nice.
SherB

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2010, 09:41:12 AM »

All you need are gullible people who think that every word he say's is infallible.  Beck for Pope!

Offline jedweber

• Fellow
  • Darwins +19/-0
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2010, 12:48:50 PM »
Lewis Black took apart Glenn Beck on the Daily Show, and it's hilarious:

Glenn Beck's Nazi Tourette's
http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-may-12-2010/back-in-black---glenn-beck-s-nazi-tourette-s

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2010, 01:02:21 PM »
Lewis Black took apart Glenn Beck on the Daily Show, and it's hilarious:

Glenn Beck's Nazi Tourette's
http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-may-12-2010/back-in-black---glenn-beck-s-nazi-tourette-s

Thanks!  That was awesome!

Offline Positiveaob

« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2010, 01:14:19 PM »
I saw it last night.  That was Lewis Black at his best.  Glenn Beck just
makes it too easy for people like him, Stewart and Colbert.
If you desire peace of soul and happiness, then believe; if you would be a disciple of truth, then inquire. - Neitzsche

Support the Military Religious Freedom Foundation!

Offline Tealeaf

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2010, 02:50:14 PM »
Glen Beck is an Idiot...

[/end thread]

Offline SherB

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2010, 08:21:08 PM »
I saw it last night.  That was Lewis Black at his best.  Glenn Beck just
makes it too easy for people like him, Stewart and Colbert.

That was great! I love Jon Stewart, Lewis Black and Stephen Cobert. I just read on a site that his show is running in the UK with no commercials as the boycott against his sponsors has been so successful that he now has zero sponsors. http://foxnewsboycott.com/glenn-beck/glenn-becks-uk-show-without-sponsors-for-almost-a-week/

Would make me proud if I was British, but sigh, I'm an American and Beck will never, ever lose his sponsors here. He could start biting the heads off live kittens on the air and people would still tune in. It would be really entertaining if it wasn't so scary and sad.

My brother's listened to him for so long that he thinks Beck's a "strict Constitutionalist." Huh? The right-wingers, starting with George Bush and including Beck and the entire fauxnoise pack of jackals, have been wiping their respective asses with the Constitution and flushing the Nill of Rights down the shitter for years. Just my opinion, of course...

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2010, 08:30:18 PM »

My brother's listened to him for so long that he thinks Beck's a "strict Constitutionalist." Huh? The right-wingers, starting with George Bush and including Beck and the entire fauxnoise pack of jackals, have been wiping their respective asses with the Constitution and flushing the Nill of Rights down the shitter for years. Just my opinion, of course...

My dad has been practically begging me to watch recent episodes where GB has exposed yet another massive scandal involving Obama, that no one else in the mainstream media has reported.  Sigh.  He knows what I think of GB, and he asked me to put all of that aside for this one sensational story.  It was so scandalous I can't even remember what it was about (although it involved some group in Chicago who will control a 10 trillion dollar market once clean air legislation becomes reality.)

Anyway, I just can't even stand to look at him anymore, much less try to pay attention to the drivel and idiocy spewing from his pie hole.  Although, you gotta give him some credit for finding a spot in the entertainment industry that is ripe for the milking!  He's become quite wealthy recently...

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +646/-27
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2010, 08:06:52 AM »
Would make me proud if I was British, but sigh, I'm an American and Beck will never, ever lose his sponsors here. He could start biting the heads off live kittens on the air and people would still tune in. It would be really entertaining if it wasn't so scary and sad.

As if we didn't have enough America bashers on this site.  "O Woe!  We Americans are too stupid!"  Yeah, we have a significant population of assholes.  But, who doesn't?  Show a little pride, SherB. 

Beck has been losing sponsors in the US for about a year. And that is without a boycott.
From 8/09 http://www.marketwatch.com/story/advertisers-deserting-fox-news-glenn-beck-2009-08-14
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline SherB

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2010, 09:55:10 AM »
Sorry, I think I'd had a recent conversation by a Beck and faux fan too recently and my brain needed to be taken out and washed!  :shrug I mean, Rupert Murdoch isn't even American, so everybody has a part in the nasty piece of business that calls itself "fox news-fair and balanced." On the other hand, we also have Bill Maher and Jon Stewart, and the rest of the lamestream media (if I hear that phrase one more time from someone I'm actually physically standing next to I won't be responsible for my actions.)

I did read a column recently from someone who made the claim that at every juncture when a large change was happening, civil rights movement, suffragette movement, etc., that the pushback from those who benefitted from the status quo was just like what it going on now.

The one thing that I think does make it different this time is fauxnoise. Hmmm, what would have happened to the civil rights movement if there had been an entire television network---I almost said 'news' then remembered who I was talking about---that spent hour after hour spewing nonsense and blatant lies about how bad and dangerous Negros (the label of choice at the time) were and how the country was never going to recover from letting those people eat at the same lunch counters or vote.

O'Reilly would have had Strom Thurman on explaining how 'they' couldn't go to the same schools as white children because they weren't smart enough to learn and it would only be a waste of time. Beck would have put things on his blackboard saying that Negros would poison the water if allowed to swim in white peoples' schools. Sarah Palin would explain how they weren't really Christians and that our founding fathers had founded this country on the biblical belief that Negros should remain slaves.

Of course, she'd be closest to being at least technically correct, considering that the bible extolled slavery. It doesn't specifially talk about black people and slavery, but it has some other pretty choice things to say about them, too, if you decide to take certain passages literally. And our fundie friends would have been quoting those passages day after day, hour after hour, ad nauseum. 

Every time a civil rights worker was gunned down, the narrative would have been that they started it, were only trying to make the segregationists look mean, and it was all the Negros fault they got shot. And Beck would ponder the good points of maybe shooting all of them, not that he was trying to extol violence or anything...

Face it, if fauxnoise had existed during the civil rights era, black people not only would have never got the vote or equal rights, they probably would have either been re-enslaved or shipped back to Africa. Had they existed during the suffragette movement, women would not now have the vote or be allowed out of the home without a keeper.

I realize I tend to go on and on, but those of you who don't live in an almost completely republican, fundamentalist christian or catholic, red state with faux viewers outnumbering every one else 10-1 can't imagine what it's like. The dentists' offices all have TV's tuned to faux, the banks all have TV's in the lobby tuned to faux. Glenn Beck is considered the second coming and Bill O'Reilly the smartest and best infomed "newsman" whose ever existed. I work at a fucking newspaper and you'd think at least there peole would be better educated. Nope--god it gets old!  :P

There are a number of anti-faux websites and facebook pages, and even here the network is carrying Beck because he's losing his sponsors here as well. Murdoch is in it for the money as much as the notoriety, though, and eventually even a star like Beck will have to begin carrying his own weight again.

I just read some interesting news on why Hannity isn't a rising star over there any more. I guess he was using his position to very openly not only get personally involved in politics, but was enriching himself behind faux's back doing so. So when the ethics violations hit, Murdoch and company realized that they were looking bad and facing charges from the FCC, and that they hadn't got a dime in the process. There are some things they just won't tolerate, and being cut out of the profits is one of them!

So there's hope for us yet, at least as long as Jon Stewart has viewers, and even though they do it in secret, I've discovered that there are nests of obama sympathizers even here...

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +646/-27
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2010, 10:36:04 AM »
I mean, Rupert Murdoch isn't even American,

He's a naturalized citizen of the United States.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rupert_Murdoch#Acquiring_American_Citizenship
In 1985 Murdoch became a United States citizen to satisfy legislation that only United States citizens could own American television stations. This also resulted in Murdoch losing his Australian citizenship

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline SherB

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2010, 03:56:20 PM »
I mean, Rupert Murdoch isn't even American,

He's a naturalized citizen of the United States.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rupert_Murdoch#Acquiring_American_Citizenship
In 1985 Murdoch became a United States citizen to satisfy legislation that only United States citizens could own American television stations. This also resulted in Murdoch losing his Australian citizenship

Then there's no hope---we're doomed!  :shrug

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2010, 03:59:59 PM »

Ignoring GB is easy if you cancel your Cable!

Offline SherB

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2010, 12:16:18 PM »

Ignoring GB is easy if you cancel your Cable!

Actually I did, so now I don't have to watch him at home, at least. And I've actually started, if I'm at a business and they have faux blaring from a TV into the lobby or waiting room or wherever, I either ask them to change the channel or turn it off, or if it's someplace where I can take my money elsewhere, like the bank, I can just no longer do business with them and tell them why. Unfortunately, it is hard to get a dentist I can stand, so I may be stuck there.  ;)

Now if I could only get my  friends and relatives who do watch him to stop talking about him! Fortunately I watch Jon Stewart, so I at least know Beck's latest bit of insanity without having to actually watch him. Plus I already have his views pre-satirized by an expert, so I don't have to work at making fun of him.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2010, 01:30:41 PM »
I thought he was an idiot but now I hear he talks to God so I guess he is the real thing.  Glenn is a prophet.  It would do us all good to pay attention to his words.

Offline jedweber

• Fellow
  • Darwins +19/-0
« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2010, 12:07:03 PM »
Interesting article about Beck's ongoing war against liberal Christianity (i.e. Marxism in disguise):

Glenn Beck's Gospel
Helping Beck Bash Social Justice

Activists responded again to Glenn Beck's criticism of social justice. This time, however, Beck had help from some evangelicals. Jerry Falwell, Jr., chancellor of Liberty University, and Peter Lillback, president of Westminster Theological Seminary, joined Beck's television program on Tuesday.

In March, Beck received national attention for his attacks on churches that promote social justice and on Sojourners president Jim Wallis.
http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2010/mayweb-only/30.53.0.html

Glenn has been bringing on his own theological "experts" to tell viewers that Jesus is in fact a conservative Republican who loves businessmen: 

...Falwell said that pastors need to be reminded that Jesus taught personal charity. He cited the parable of the talents as evidence that Jesus valued the free market and capitalism.
"Bottom line," said Fischer, "Jesus...had capitalism in his DNA."