Author Topic: Glen Beck is an Idiot...  (Read 20362 times)

Offline DVZ3

• Reader
  • Darwins +41/-8
Glen Beck is an Idiot...
« on: March 12, 2010, 02:56:43 PM »

How can someone like this seriously have his own tv show let alone millions of followers who watch him religiously!? He's at it again with his stupidity but at least there's one church that reconizes this.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/03/12/beck.boycott/index.html?hpt=C1
Hguols: "Its easier for me to believe that a God created everything...."

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
Re: Glen Beck is an Idiot...
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 03:06:44 PM »
Yes, he is an idiot and taking all of his money to the bank.  He is also a Mormon so he may need this money for when he is a god with his own planet.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 03:06:44 PM »
a theist is a moron? that's not news
now a REALLY, REALLY smart[1] theist would be news
 1. how much you know=/=how smart you are
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 03:09:01 PM by Blaziken_rjcf »
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline jedweber

• Fellow
  • Darwins +19/-0
  • Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 03:58:54 PM »
He was basically trying to foment a schism among Christians:

"I beg you, look for the words ’social justice’ or ‘economic justice’ on your church Web site. If you find it, run as fast as you can. Social justice and economic justice, they are code words.

Now, am I advising people to leave their church? ….. YES!”

In Beck's mind, "social justice" is some kind of Marxist code, and churches shouldn't talk about standing up for the poor, hungry, sick, etc.

Christian Leaders Call For Boycott Of Glenn Beck
http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2010/3/11/845379/-Christian-Leaders-Call-For-Boycott-Of-Glenn-BeckJoin-Here

He probably thought he was aiming his attack only at ultra-liberal churches, but he'd better be careful, because the Catholics and other mainstream churches use the term "social justice" all the time.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 06:52:51 PM »
MOst times people like Beck will destroy themselves if you give them enough rope.

Offline jedweber

• Fellow
  • Darwins +19/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 07:57:17 PM »
Remember this guy?

[Hotlink FAIL. It was a pic of Morton Downey, Jr.]

Hopefully Beck's career will follow a similar path.  
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 11:20:32 AM by jedweber »

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 10:22:37 AM »
If there had been fox news channel in Mort's day, he'd still be employed.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 11:19:47 AM »
Think what Joseph McCarthy might have been like if he had had a FOX News to work with?

Offline jedweber

• Fellow
  • Darwins +19/-0
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 11:22:45 AM »
Work with? He'd probably have his own show!

Offline SherB

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Doubt everything. Find your own light.
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 03:51:10 PM »
"Sit here, while I go yonder and pray. [...] Are you still sleeping and taking your rest? Behold, the hour is at hand, and the Son of Rupert is betrayed into the hands of sinners. Rise, let us be going; see, My betrayer is at hand."

A quote from the Daily Kos article about Beck. (Link a few posts up.) The Son of Rupert?!? I'm actually rendered speechless... There's also a great picture in the article portraying Beck as he sees himself---the next coming. Check it out.
SherB
A dictionary definition of fascism: The control of government by large corporations with right-wing ideologies, driven by bellicose nationalism.

Offline Pale Rider

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Agnostic
    • Bible Police
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 04:24:59 PM »
Go easy on him. He's just trying to be the 21st Centuries Thomas Paine................... :D :D :D :D

Offline Ananukia

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • I wear no mask.
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 04:32:37 PM »
Go easy on him. He's just trying to be the 21st Centuries Thomas Paine................... :D :D :D :D

HaHaHa, I see what you did there.

Comparing a crazed, rich, morman with Thomas Paine, an atheist that died penniless.

HaHaHaHa
        Songs that the Hyades shall sing,
    Where flap the tatters of the King,
    Must die unheard in

Dim Carcosa.

Offline Al Stefanelli

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Professionally Charming Curmudgeon
    • Al Stefanelli - The Rantings of a Professionally Charming Curmudgeon
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 04:35:13 PM »

How can someone like this seriously have his own tv show let alone millions of followers who watch him religiously!? He's at it again with his stupidity but at least there's one church that reconizes this.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/03/12/beck.boycott/index.html?hpt=C1

Whenever I want to laugh my ass off, I turn on Glenn Beck.
Organized Religion is like Organized Crime; it preys on peoples' weakness,
generates huge profits for its operators, and is almost impossible to eradicate.

Offline jedweber

• Fellow
  • Darwins +19/-0
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2010, 11:52:45 AM »
Beck is reportedly set to go to war against liberal clergy who dare challenge him:

Beck to Wallis: "In my time, I will respond. ... Just know the hammer's coming"
http://mediamatters.org/mmtv/201003150017

FOX News Funds Research and Smear Campaign Against American Pastor
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/burns-strider/fox-news-funds-research-a_b_504433.html

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2010, 01:40:11 PM »
McCarthyism!!!      Someone will have to take him down or let him burn himself out.  You can't be that much of a nut and trying to outdo yourself each day and week without it catching up to you.

Offline Gaston

• Graduate
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2010, 02:25:18 PM »
Pffft, people are too obsessed with Fox news prime-time hosts. I think this video reflects the willingless to hate people like Glenn Beck over other people:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-faCh8BUEts[/youtube]
Agnostics are not fence sitters, as true believers on either side think, loyal to no one. We just don't believe in fences. ~ fivegalaxies, imdb

Offline jedweber

• Fellow
  • Darwins +19/-0
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2010, 09:30:00 AM »
That video's funny. Ok, maybe some people take the hate too far, but I think there's good reason to take these people very seriously. They have very big soap boxes and spread misinformation to millions of people, many of whom take it as gospel.

Targets of their smear campaigns have lost jobs, had their reputations ruined, been subject to harassment and death threats, etc.,

Offline Gaston

• Graduate
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2010, 10:12:58 AM »
That video's funny. Ok, maybe some people take the hate too far, but I think there's good reason to take these people very seriously. They have very big soap boxes and spread misinformation to millions of people, many of whom take it as gospel.

Targets of their smear campaigns have lost jobs, had their reputations ruined, been subject to harassment and death threats, etc.,

Taking them and their claims seriously yes. That's a good thing. But there quite a bit of people spreading misinformation and doing smear campaigns against for example Glenn Beck. It really just magnifies the problem rather than attempt to solve it. Fighting fire with fire is kind of futile.
Agnostics are not fence sitters, as true believers on either side think, loyal to no one. We just don't believe in fences. ~ fivegalaxies, imdb

Offline jedweber

• Fellow
  • Darwins +19/-0
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2010, 10:39:02 AM »
But there quite a bit of people spreading misinformation and doing smear campaigns against for example Glenn Beck.

Really? Aside from the rape-and-murder thing, which is obviously an Internet satire, I usually just see people running clips of Beck's own show and holding them up for mockery. There's really no counterweight that equals the vast right-wing echo chamber of Fox News and talk radio. Keith Olbermann's "worst persons" + occasional jabs by the likes of Jon Stewart or Bill Maher don't compare to the hours of sustained insanity that Fox presents on a daily basis.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2010, 11:30:57 AM »
But there quite a bit of people spreading misinformation and doing smear campaigns against for example Glenn Beck.

Really? Aside from the rape-and-murder thing, which is obviously an Internet satire, I usually just see people running clips of Beck's own show and holding them up for mockery. There's really no counterweight that equals the vast right-wing echo chamber of Fox News and talk radio. Keith Olbermann's "worst persons" + occasional jabs by the likes of Jon Stewart or Bill Maher don't compare to the hours of sustained insanity that Fox presents on a daily basis.
A big +1

Offline Max Kodan

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2010, 11:44:01 AM »
Taking them and their claims seriously yes. That's a good thing. But there quite a bit of people spreading misinformation and doing smear campaigns against for example Glenn Beck. It really just magnifies the problem rather than attempt to solve it. Fighting fire with fire is kind of futile.

Wanna know the difference?  With Glenn Beck, any of these smear campaigns do nothing but good for him.  And yet, it's still hilarious to see Jon Stewart run around to a bunch of blackboards proving, with Glenn Beck's logic, that if you are of any religious faith whatsoever then you are obviously an insane, theocracy worshiping loon.  Also, Bert is Hitler.  And even still, that's not a smear campaign.  Glenn Beck is a crazy person.  It's actually quite hilarious watching him, if you can make yourself think that it's satire.  But when you get other news anchors on there nodding like he's some kind of genius, it shocks you back to reality, where yes, he's serious.
If you consider speed to be a 3D vector it doesn't really matter whether you call it momentum or speed.

Offline Gaston

• Graduate
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2010, 12:28:38 PM »

There's no left-wing equal of Fox News no, but the constant showing of clips of Glenn beck along with some figure laughing at them (and thus indirectly instructing the audience to laugh at them), is more than enough of a smear campaign. It may sound quite innocent, but all it contributes towards is polarizing audiences (just like Beck himself with his show does), and alienate the ones who do not agree.

I may have been a bit quick to say "misinformation" by the way. That's a vague term, and I'm sorry about that. But what I mean, is that people mocking Glenn Beck along with his fans, usually do so in a cheap uninformative way. It's not really anything but a cheap laugh really. There are some good Critical pieces on the subject, that really gives some understanding into the situation and a perspective on the whole thing, but mainly, the critisism I see against Glenn Beck, is not any more classy than the critisism Beck himself fires in his own show.

Offline Gaston

• Graduate
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2010, 12:37:18 PM »
Wanna know the difference?  With Glenn Beck, any of these smear campaigns do nothing but good for him.  And yet, it's still hilarious to see Jon Stewart run around to a bunch of blackboards proving, with Glenn Beck's logic, that if you are of any religious faith whatsoever then you are obviously an insane, theocracy worshiping loon.  Also, Bert is Hitler.  And even still, that's not a smear campaign.  Glenn Beck is a crazy person.  It's actually quite hilarious watching him, if you can make yourself think that it's satire.  But when you get other news anchors on there nodding like he's some kind of genius, it shocks you back to reality, where yes, he's serious.

I'm not really talking about Jon Stewart, though it may fit the profile somewhat, but it's supposed to be satire, so I don't really give it much blame. What I'm talking about is people stooping to Glenn Becks own level (though not necessarily applying the same means), and thinking that it'd actually contribute something good towards the situation. Glenn Beck is obviously a disturbed person, but that is just all the more reason to not keep going at him the way things are now. I think that situation is similar to the movie Network as mentioned in this article which gives some perspective on the situation.

Offline SherB

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Doubt everything. Find your own light.
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2010, 01:20:34 PM »
The problem with viewers of faux in general and Beck in particular, is that after watching hours of that a day, they, even those who should know better, are completely brainwashed. TV, and faux especially, reduces any topic down to a ten-second sound byte. No serious political issue can be presented in a factual, honest manner in a ten-second sound byte. Screaming 'drill baby drill' excites the sheeple (my word for anyone who believes either religious or faux bullshit) in a way that a thoughtful, factual discussion of global climate change does not.

And since the huge corporations do everything in their power to discredit climate change (just an example as a topic) they spend truckloads of money using focus groups and marketing strategists to figure out the best way to get and keep people's attention to take their side. The reason the corps are doing it is because if we don't believe in climate change they can improve their bottom line by continuing to poison the planet, and that's all they care about. The sheeple, having had their attention span and IQ reduced by watching faux or any republican congressman or senator inanely promote their agenda, vote and take action in favor of things that are provably against their benefit.

Sorry for wandering, but the point I'm making about Beck and his minions is that A, they have absolutely no agenda other than their own profit and power and enriching the corporations that back them, and B, idiots like Beck help keep the folks so dumbed down that they literally do not have the attention span to watch even a 15-minute news piece. If it can't be expressed in a screaming 10-seconds they can't handle it. So that audience is basically incapable of comprehending any news from TV that anyone with any sense would present. And since all other media, for the most part, like most internet and print publications, are now beyond their intelligence, they simply won't watch it or read it. So there's no reaching the Glenn Beck audience by now.

I don't know what the solution is for this brainwashing. I'm a huge believer in free speech, but I despair of what's happening to our country by the combination of corporate money, 'news' organizations with absolutely no scruples, and an audience conditioned by TV from childhood to believe that all issues can be explained and decided in less than thirty seconds. And then they vote however the Beck's of the world tell them to. It really makes me sad, because I don't think there's a way out of this mess before our nation totally implodes. And the fauxers aren't interested in governing anyway, only in firing up the masses.

SherB
A dictionary definition of fascism: The control of government by large corporations with right-wing ideologies, driven by bellicose nationalism.

Offline jedweber

• Fellow
  • Darwins +19/-0
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2010, 08:27:09 PM »
Angry Jews are tweeting Glenn Beck with haikus. The group "Jewish Funds for Justice" launched a "Twitterstorm" against the pundit's account to protest his recent comments denouncing religions which advocate "social justice":

Jews Twitterbomb Glenn Beck With Haikus
http://www.theatlanticwire.com/features/view/feature/Jews-Twitterbomb-Glenn-Beck-With-Haikus-1024

Here are some examples from the group's web page: (http://www.haikuglennbeck.com/index.php?toprated )

Give me your fearful
Your easily influenced
Oh - and a chalkboard

Glenn Beck knows that when
Jesus preached social justice
it was sarcasm.

Does the Bible say
anything about the poor?
It’s in there somewhere.

And Jesus said to
All his hungry disciples
"Hands off my fish, chumps"

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +275/-31
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2010, 08:41:27 PM »
You know who else gets too much hate put on him, Gaston?  Fred Phelps.  Doncha think?
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline jedweber

• Fellow
  • Darwins +19/-0
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2010, 07:32:38 AM »
Forbes does a cover story on Beck this month, revealing that he took in $32 million dollars last year. He says he's primarily an "entertainer" and doesn't really "give a flying crap about the political process."

He was also quoted as saying “If you take what I say as gospel, you’re an idiot.”

Somebody tell the teabaggers, they seem to think he's the new Thomas Jefferson.

http://thinkprogress.org/2010/04/08/beck-on-politics/

Offline subtleinspiration

• Fellow
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2010, 08:49:16 AM »
That's really the ultimate truth about these people. They don't really care about politics, and probably don't even personally agree with some of what they spout. They've just found their personal "money train" and well ride that sucker all the way to the station.
"As a God fearing Christian,  you should never ever date an Atheist. One night alone with an atheist is enough for you to lose your faith and to be converted into one of the spiritually dead."

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2010, 10:49:58 AM »
I heard he makes 32 million a year. What would you do for 32 million a year?

-nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.