Author Topic: Something I saw [#2349]  (Read 4187 times)

Offline DL

Something I saw [#2349]
« on: March 10, 2010, 06:46:22 PM »
I don't expect that you'll believe this, but I feel compelled to tell you.  I was
about 18 yrs old.  A man at our church who was about 20 was attending a revival at
another church of the same denomination.  He asked several of us at our church to go
one night & we did.  There had been some talk going around about this minister
having the "gift of healing" & I'm sorry, I don't recall his name.  It was a long
time ago. Toward the end of the service, the minister asked for people in need of
healing to come forward & stand near the front & several came.  Then he asked those
willing to come & pray with/for them to stand behind them. I came forward with
almost every one else. I was standing to the right of & just a half step behind a
woman a little older than me & about 4-5 inches taller than me. People all around me
were praying out loud & raising their hands. I could not help but notice that the
woman next to me had very crooked teeth & it almost looked as if they were crowded
in her mouth, like she just did not have room for them.  Also, her lower jow
protruded forward, creating not the most attractive face I had ever seen. The
minister came down the line of people, praying for each one as he came to them. I
had my eyes closed & was praying, when I heard this cracking-popping kind of sound
at my left ear.  It surprised me & I opened my eyes & looked around, trying to
figure out what it was. I looked toward the woman next to me & could not believe my
eyes.  She was praying out loud & I saw her teeth move into line & become as stright
as the straightest teeth I had ever seen. Then I saw her lower jaw move back into
place. Tears were streaming down her face & the people around her got very excited &
were praying loudly & praising God.  I was so completely shaken & taken aback,
having heard of things like this, but never having seen anything like it, I was way
beyond amazed.  It was and it remains the most amazing thing I have ever seen. I am
60 years old now, so that was over 4 decades ago.  It was a gift from God for me &,
I suspect, others. It is something that I know that I know.  No one can take it,
change it, deminish it or prove to me that it did not happen.  There is a God.  He
may not answer all prayers & I don't have an answer regarding that. But this I saw
and this I know.

You won't believe me, as I said, but I have told you.  That's enough for me.

Offline Grogan

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
    • I Deny God
Re: Something I saw [#2349]
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 06:47:10 PM »
Correct, we don't believe you.
Quote from: kenn
You want to understand God and the world around you through science and logic alone and, because you cannot come up with a "reasonable" explanation for what they ate when leaving the ark, you dismiss it.

Offline desmodia

• Graduate
  • Darwins +3/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 06:54:35 PM »
Belief and memory are both slippery qualities.

Sorry -- anecdotal evidence doesn't cut it for me. I understand that you had an experience that was profound for you, but that profundity doesn't translate over into my life or experience.
"Ak..Ak..AK AK!" from the Martian emperor's speech to Congress, Mars Attacks

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 06:57:43 PM »
So you believe in God as a dentist.  Great. Did not do much good for 230,000 people in Haiti. Or kids starving in Africa.  But some lady has straight teeth.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +846/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 07:01:21 PM »
God did not straighten my teeth. I had to pay 80 bucks a month and wear braces for three years. Wassup with that? :shrug
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +49/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 07:02:55 PM »
You won't believe me, as I said, but I have told you.  That's enough for me.

So you want to fall short of giving us proof, and not what you saw.

A story about when I was playing with a paper boat.
The paper boat was flowing down the street in a stream of water, and went into the sewer. I get on my knees to try to grab the boat and I see a scary clown. You know what that clown told me. WE ALL FLOAT DOWN HERE!, then a red balloon floated up and went POP! Scary stuff.

I think my story is more believable since I saw it happen in a movie.  &)
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline Gimpy

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 08:23:31 PM »
. . . and you can't even remember the guy's name?

pfffft.
Not all those who wander are lost; some are buried in my backyard. . .

Offline Ashe

• Reader
  • Darwins +10/-1
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 08:38:58 PM »
You know we won't believe you and you've stated you don't care, so what's the point here?  :shrug
2 miles!
"All men(humans )were demon possed and were planning to attack God. Just like if you talk back to your parents." - Failbag quote

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 09:20:00 PM »
If you saw what you remember seeing, I have no doubt it was a part of the con. Please realize that most, if not all, of those healing tent situations are intentional frauds with shills in the audience to create "healings" so that people believe. They passed a hat, yes? That was the point. To get your money. Con men with charisma and several people who, with sleight of hand, make it appear that they've been healed. Seriously. It's been done to death.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Grogan

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
    • I Deny God
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 09:35:38 PM »
Quote from: kenn
You want to understand God and the world around you through science and logic alone and, because you cannot come up with a "reasonable" explanation for what they ate when leaving the ark, you dismiss it.

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +31/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 09:49:20 PM »
Bullshit.
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • Moraxella catarrhalis on BA
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 12:47:22 AM »
You won't believe me

You were absolutely correct in that judgement because I don't believe a word you said.  And why should I?  From a standpoint firmly seated in reality the magical and instantaneous realignment of teeth in someones skull is not only improbable but absolutely impossible.
La scienze non ha nemici ma gli ignoranti.

Offline William

• Fellow
  • Darwins +92/-2
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 02:03:11 AM »
I could not help but notice that the woman next to me had very crooked teeth & it almost looked as if they were crowded
protruded forward, creating not the most attractive face I had ever seen.

I saw the same thing one time, except I was only 14 1/2 years old, and she was 3 3/4 inches shorter than me. 
In the case I witnessed God left the teeth exactly as they were and healed the person behind them.

Fortunately I got a pic.

Git mit uns

Offline DL

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 07:42:54 AM »
Received approximately 100 emails from OP:

I AM  NOT HERE TO ENTERTAIN YOUR LITTLE ATHIESTFEST. TAKE MY STORY OFF YOUR DEMENTED
SITE. DO IT NOW. THAT IS MY STORY, MY LIFE-- NOT YOURS TO DO WITH AS YOU PLEASE.
REMOVE IT. NOW.

Offline William

• Fellow
  • Darwins +92/-2
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 08:05:02 AM »
^^ Can we keep the dog pic please?
Git mit uns

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • Moraxella catarrhalis on BA
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2010, 11:59:13 AM »
TAKE MY STORY OFF YOUR DEMENTED
SITE. DO IT NOW ... REMOVE IT. NOW.

Uhmm... no?
La scienze non ha nemici ma gli ignoranti.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +307/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2010, 12:05:15 PM »
I don't expect that you'll believe this, but I feel compelled to tell you.

It's not really a question whether someone believes you or not, it's the question on whether you can show evidence of it happening. If you can't, you're wasting your breath. We deal in evidence, not hearsay. Well, some of us do, at least.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2010, 12:35:30 PM »

I AM  NOT HERE TO ENTERTAIN YOUR LITTLE ATHIESTFEST. TAKE MY STORY OFF YOUR DEMENTED
SITE. DO IT NOW. THAT IS MY STORY, MY LIFE-- NOT YOURS TO DO WITH AS YOU PLEASE.
REMOVE IT. NOW.

spamming will not help you. and didnt you read the fine print or whatever before you sent your email?
also, what's an athiestfest?
in fact, what's an athiest?

your 60 years of age do you no good old man. you cant even spell atheist
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline RaymondKHessel

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-3
  • Born with insight, and a raised fist.
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2010, 12:41:24 PM »

I AM  NOT HERE TO ENTERTAIN YOUR LITTLE ATHIESTFEST. TAKE MY STORY OFF YOUR DEMENTED
REMOVE IT. NOW.

No, you're not here at all, actually. You're a one-way testimonial fired off from behind Microsoft Outlook.

But your *letter* was either A.)You trying to convince somebody that your god is real via a, I'm sorry, REALLY thin and pretty laughable story, or B.)You trying to convince YOURSELF that your god is real by dredging up a 40 year old memory and then getting a good 'ol feeling of vindication and self-affirmation by sending it to the atheist that shook up your beliefs.

I'm really sorry that the most amazing thing you've ever seen in 60 years of living is a dime-store hustle when you were 18. That's pretty embarassing, even when you're just a clump of anonymous text on the internet. I guess I understand why you'd want it trashed... But magical dental work? Really? Have you ever seen an atom split? It's significantly more impressive.

Good gravy. You even said YOU HAD YOUR EYES CLOSED.

Sigh. There's one born every minute.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 12:45:08 PM by RaymondKHessel »
Born with insight, and a raised fist.

Offline Jim

• Reader
  • Darwins +11/-1
  • Born Again Atheist
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2010, 12:48:55 PM »
in fact, what's an athiest?

It's the mostEST, evilEST, vilEST, form of GodlessiEST, trashiEST atheistNESSestINGly.  That's what it is. 
Survey results coming soon!

Offline Sashka

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Jesus made me do it...
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2010, 12:29:45 PM »
Get some professional  help you moron!
Now I am naked with a towel over my lap typing on the computer.

Enough with your bullshit.

Offline Jake

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +9/-2
  • I see what you do there.
    • Pat Condel's Godless Comedy
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2010, 02:39:37 AM »
Hey.  Hey guys.  Guys.  Hey.  Guys.   I saw this thing once.

It was a really awesome thing.   Yeah, totally awesome.  THE most awesomest of awesome things that ever awesomed, man!   I was like, whoa, ya know?!

And then, it was like, FREEM, and I was like, HOLY WOW IT MUST BE JESUS, and then there was cake! 

You believe me, right guys?
"I don't respect your religious beliefs and I don't care if this offends you." - Pat Condel and myself along with him.   I do respect intelligence, rationality and logical consideration, however.    Humor's always good too.

Offline SherB

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Doubt everything. Find your own light.
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2010, 03:04:06 AM »
Didn't we have a poster on here a while back who also said god was a dentist? Maybe there's something to it! My uncle's a dentist--I'll ask him if maybe him and god went to dental school together. The United Church of the Painless Root Canal...

And the dog is awesome!   SherB
A dictionary definition of fascism: The control of government by large corporations with right-wing ideologies, driven by bellicose nationalism.

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2010, 04:25:22 AM »
..........the reptile just got a surface-camouflage, human, female, upgrade download.

It's why the earlier reptile invasion waves were so easily noticed   ..........those rubber suits never quite made the grade.

The insidious nature of the current full body hologram "chameleon wearz" is only failing by the reptiles stupidly making all the human female forms 4-5 inches taller than men.

2012 will be the real test to see if god will fight on our side or the side of the filthy gekkos.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 04:31:56 AM by kin hell »
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Offline RegalSin

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2010, 05:35:57 PM »
I beleive you. You see, things can and do occur for the good of people. Maybe the woman was abused or something? Maybe she had pugly disorder, the point is that does make sense.

Offline rlyte

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2010, 07:30:12 PM »
I don't expect that you'll believe this, but I feel compelled to tell you.  I was
about 18 yrs old.  A man at our church who was about 20 was attending a revival at
another church of the same denomination.  He asked several of us at our church to go
one night & we did.  There had been some talk going around about this minister
having the "gift of healing" & I'm sorry, I don't recall his name.  It was a long
time ago. Toward the end of the service, the minister asked for people in need of
healing to come forward & stand near the front & several came.  Then he asked those
willing to come & pray with/for them to stand behind them. I came forward with
almost every one else. I was standing to the right of & just a half step behind a
woman a little older than me & about 4-5 inches taller than me. People all around me
were praying out loud & raising their hands. I could not help but notice that the
woman next to me had very crooked teeth & it almost looked as if they were crowded
protruded forward, creating not the most attractive face I had ever seen. The
minister came down the line of people, praying for each one as he came to them. I
had my eyes closed & was praying, when I heard this cracking-popping kind of sound
at my left ear.  It surprised me & I opened my eyes & looked around, trying to
figure out what it was. I looked toward the woman next to me & could not believe my
eyes.  She was praying out loud & I saw her teeth move into line & become as stright
as the straightest teeth I had ever seen. Then I saw her lower jaw move back into
place. Tears were streaming down her face & the people around her got very excited &
were praying loudly & praising God.  I was so completely shaken & taken aback,
having heard of things like this, but never having seen anything like it, I was way
beyond amazed.  It was and it remains the most amazing thing I have ever seen. I am
60 years old now, so that was over 4 decades ago.  It was a gift from God for me &,
I suspect, others. It is something that I know that I know.  No one can take it,
change it, deminish it or prove to me that it did not happen.  There is a God.  He
may not answer all prayers & I don't have an answer regarding that. But this I saw
and this I know.

You won't believe me, as I said, but I have told you.  That's enough for me.

As all can see there is plenty of evidence of god healing people, may jesus bless you my brother.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +307/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2010, 09:29:20 AM »
As all can see there is plenty of evidence of god healing people, may jesus bless you my brother.

This is what people call "hearsay" which is defined as: Unverified information heard or received from another; rumor[1] -- so, how is this "plenty of evidence"? You're an idiot <--- plenty of evidence for that.

-Nam
 1. thefreedictionary.com
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2010, 11:37:48 AM »

REMOVE IT. NOW.

Contact Information

You may email questions, suggestions and comments to:

If you have questions, comments or suggestions about this web site or God's existence, you may also want to visit the forum. There is no way we can respond to all the emails that we receive each day. Therefore, some emails are posted anonymously on the forums so that readers may respond.

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/god-contact.htm

Offline VacuusMonastica

• Graduate
  • Darwins +5/-0
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2010, 05:01:02 PM »
I don't expect that you'll believe this, but...

When anything is started off like this, you just know it's going to be full of woo without reading any farther.
Before you believe anything always look for the beLIEve hidden within - VacuusMonastica

At any given moment, I open my eyes and exist. And before that, during all eternity, what was there? Nothing. - Ugo Betti