Author Topic: Puma Punku  (Read 12356 times)

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +251/-31
Re: Puma Punku
« Reply #87 on: March 18, 2010, 01:33:58 PM »
^^ Well, it would depend on the quartz content of the granite, no, velkyn?  That'd work for diorite, but quartz-on-quartz is...unproductive, afaik.
Unless you are Scarlett Johansason or something.  lol  i'd like to punish her with  my baby.  lol

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #88 on: March 18, 2010, 02:28:57 PM »
^^ Well, it would depend on the quartz content of the granite, no, velkyn?  That'd work for diorite, but quartz-on-quartz is...unproductive, afaik.

yep, that's what I said, the mineral content of the rock varies. granite is made from quartz (hardness of 7), micas (consisiting of muscovite and biotite, hardness around 2-3) feldspar (hardness 6) and hornblende (5-6). The stuff in the pictures looks fairly dark IMO.   From what I can dig up, average amount of quartz in granite is around 70%.
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +251/-31
« Reply #89 on: March 18, 2010, 02:32:56 PM »
The puzzle to me, for granite - even with a relatively low % of quartz - is how it would get "smooth", since the quartz crystals would get in the way at some point, unavoidably.  Sure, they could be removed - chipped out - but that would leave an uneven surface as well.
Unless you are Scarlett Johansason or something.  lol  i'd like to punish her with  my baby.  lol

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #90 on: March 18, 2010, 02:36:48 PM »
good point, but how "smooth" are we talking?  you can have some fairly fine grained granites.  I have seen what appear to be really smooth, damn near glassy, granite scuptures from Egypt, but granted they have emery there. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +251/-31
« Reply #91 on: March 18, 2010, 02:39:34 PM »
Yeah, I can't really tell the crystal size in the pictures I've seen from puma punku.  And for that matter, we don't know that they didn't have something like emery to work on these.

Offline TxVet

• Novice
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #92 on: August 13, 2013, 12:56:56 PM »
Re: Jim
Many things have been done with stone in our past. But these were done without metal. This civilization had stone tools, nothing else. As for metal, I believe they worked Gold, but Gold is a soft metal and easily melted. Iron on the other hand, is hard to mine and requires mucho heat!

Offline Ambassador Pony

• You keep what you kill.
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #93 on: August 14, 2013, 07:27:22 AM »
Re: Jim
Many things have been done with stone in our past. But these were done without metal. This civilization had stone tools, nothing else. As for metal, I believe they worked Gold, but Gold is a soft metal and easily melted. Iron on the other hand, is hard to mine and requires mucho heat!

The last time anyone posted in this thread was over 3 years ago, TxVet. Posting here is called "thread necromancy" and it is against our forum rules. Jim won't respond because Jim is long gone.

Please don't do this again.

You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.