Author Topic: 10 questions [#424]  (Read 322 times)

Offline DL

10 questions [#424]
« on: September 17, 2008, 05:30:30 PM »

Why won't God heal amputees?

First of all, God does not have to heal anyone. God's will may be to heal someone but if you don't ask to be healed you probably won't be. Another requirement to be healed is to have faith, which by the way everyone lacks except for the people that saw Christ risen from the Dead. You probably know that Jesus walked on water Peter tried to do the same but he failed. Jesus told him why did he doubt? Anyway, I'm getting off track here sorry.Miracles back then were performed by the thousands so people will believed this power was given to the apostoles not everyone.This power ended with the death of the apostoles. Nowdays, what God does is that uses a person to prophetize if he is going to heal someone, and then everybody starts questionning who that may be.Don't forget that we are separated from God because of our sin.And the wages of sin is death says the Lord.Healing amputees will be like saying that sin has no consequences.Also, who is there to say that God has never healed an amputee? don't forget that we are destined to die.

and God promised us a new body and eternal life.I forget where it is written in the new testament but God says that he will have compassion to whoever he wants to and will hardened his heart the same way.This shows us that God has authority to do his will and he decides whether or not someone gets healed or not. In the case of amputees, that will cause a lot of controversy and doctors will start to try to disprove by saying that our bodies are producing self regenerating cells and of course will not accept it as a miracle. Put yourself in God's place and you may find the answer.

Why are there so many starving people in the world?

First of all, there aren't innocent people, ok? here is what David says: I am a sinner since my mother's womb. So don't come up with sayings that children are innocent just because they don't know God. Another thing ,God prophetize that this will happen as consequences of our sin, our separation from God. Another thing,if they are starving they won't live too long so why are you questioning this anyway? They will be reunited with God.God also says that he will abandon men to their desires. Also, God may be putting a situation to see who comes to cease his thirst, and satisfy his hunger. He also says when you did that to x person you did it to me. Maybe God is calling men to help us mutually, but obviously everybody is too busy questionning God to do that.

Why does God demand the death of so many innocent in the Bible?

God freed these people not because they were good people but because he promised to Abraham like 400 years before. God told them what he was going to do amazing things for them, and what was the people answer? Yes, we will do WHATEVER YOU SAY! my guess is that God went like this: hey, wait a minute...you cannot earn what I'm trying to give you by your actions but if you want to prove me wrong here you go just follow these ten simple things, also since you're so sure you will succeed just bet your life that you will do it. Everyone accepted and everyone failed unfortunately only the people that were watched committing their sin were condemmed to death.

Anti-scientific nonsense?

Well if in the Bible was written that the earth was created 4.5 Billion years ago will that change anything? this number is so outrageously high that no human in his mind can even imagine how much time is that. When God created the MAN he made him perfect that means that he must have been young, handsome, powerful, intellegent, and pure. So what is the perfect age? no one knows but I guess we can agree that it must around 25 or something like that. So here it is the man who was only one day old already look 25.

Maybe God created everything in a already advance stage of how everything was supposed to be so it wouldn't take 4.5 Billion years he sped up the process a little. Maybe the story is being told from the perspective of God since time does not govern over him the person used days as a time reference so we could follow the story.Maybe it took God 15 Billion years to create everything but once again since time does not exist for him it would have been the same as saying a week.Somewhere in the Bible it says clearly that for God one day is like a thousand years and a thousand years are like a day.

Slavery?

Actually slavery was seen almost as a blessing because some people needed a place to live, eat, and take care or their families and slavery was a way to obtain all these. Also it maybe a symbolic act from God by showing us that before we were slaves but now we are his sons through Jesus Christ. Also I don't see why do you question God with something like these when humans clearly need someone to do the dirty job. Thomas Jefferson a man who said all men are created equal and owned more then 200 slaves, how's that? bad things to good people? because of our sin. Remember we are not good.The only good that exist is perfection everything else is messed up.

no evidence?

who says there's no evidence? maybe it hasn't been found yet. Or if it was found hasn't been exposed because this will cause switching belief systems. 10,000 witnesses of his resurrection what else do you want? Unfortunately all of them are sleeping.

Jesus appeared?

why are you asking us to go against God's will? Jesus clearly said that he will be with us in our hearts but the next time that he comes will be to judge the world. If you have no faith obviously He's is not going to appear to you. If you are trying to get him to appear just to approve or disprove his existence you are already following a desire from your heart and you're asking it for the wrong reason.

Nothing good can come up by doing something like this.

body and blood?

it's a remembrance act. Remember that my body will be broken for you and that my blood will be spilled until the last drop. When we eat his body and when we drink his blood we are showing commitment to him and remember that we were crucified with him. Jesus spoke in paraboles so most of what he says is not to be taken literally we should pray to God to give us the wisdom so we can distinguish what he is trying to communicate to us through his word.

Divorce?

christians are people just like everyone else. They are not exempted from sin. There are only some differences from a christian and a nonchristian.

One of the main difference is that Christians hate to sin. But they recognize their weakness and put their trust in Jesus knowing that already canceled their debt with God. Christians sin just like everyone else is just that they don't want to or should I say we don't want to lol :)

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
Re: 10 questions [#424]
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 12:13:42 PM »
Sorry for the delay in responding to your mail message.  Thank you for spending the time to consider the 10 questions.

To offer a proper response -- one that would honor your effort -- would take a while.  Unfortunately, the forums have become a bit active in recent weeks and some messages fall through the cracks.

My only comment I have is to refer you to Last Thusdayism;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_Thursdayism

If part of what you say is possible, then why not accept that it is equally possible that everything was created last Thursday -- actually, this morning at midnight -- and will be destroyed in one week?

====================================

Forum members ... if you have time to give a full reply, please do so.  A quick review shows many of the responses that we normally get.  Just make sure not to miss any unique parts.
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline Dragnet

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • iustus res "We just want the facts"
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 12:50:22 PM »

and God promised us a new body and eternal life.I forget where it is written in the new testament but God says that he will have compassion to whoever he wants to and will hardened his heart the same way.This shows us that God has authority to do his will and he decides whether or not someone gets healed or not. In the case of amputees, that will cause a lot of controversy and doctors will start to try to disprove by saying that our bodies are producing self regenerating cells and of course will not accept it as a miracle. Put yourself in God's place and you may find the answer.

I should like to address this issue first.
What you say is true today. but what of the last 2000+ years. If when someone prayed with faith as you claim and grew a new limb all along would not this have better shown how much faith can do.
I actually do put my self in god shoes all the time.
I often say if "If I had the power to" (insert appropriate adjective here). I would. See I bet even you do it from time to time.
Science will some day produce an ability to regenerate limbs, of this I am confident, not certain but I think it can happen.
Will you then say it is the will of a god that has been remarkably silent for so long?

That said, please join the forum and discuss these and any other issues you feel compelled to.
I am responsible with my actions NOW so I don't HAVE to be responsible for them later.

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • Moraxella catarrhalis on BA
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 09:49:19 PM »

Why won't God heal amputees?

First of all, God does not have to heal anyone. God's will may be to heal someone but if you don't ask to be healed you probably won't be.

What about the ones that do ask to be healed... why does god just ignore them.  Let's give an example. Would god heal the pope if he became ill? Probably not... but then Christians would label it as "god's will."

Another requirement to be healed is to have faith, which by the way everyone lacks except for the people that saw Christ risen from the Dead.

Only people that physically saw Jesus can have faith in him.... great.... you just lowered your religion faster than I could.

and God promised us a new body and eternal life.

A new body?  So when your first one ceases god magically transfers all your thoughts and memories from your now dead brain, into a new physical body, and raises you heaven?...right.

Why does God demand the death of so many innocent in the Bible?

you cannot earn what I'm trying to give you by your actions but if you want to prove me wrong here you go just follow these ten simple things, also since you're so sure you will succeed just bet your life that you will do it. Everyone accepted and everyone failed unfortunately only the people that were watched committing their sin were condemmed to death.

Did it ever occur to anyone that God violates his own commandment of "Thou shalt not kill."?  Did you ever wonder how hypocritical it is for a divinely loving father to give a commandment of no murder and yet he murders thousands...?  Anyone?

Anti-scientific nonsense?

Well if in the Bible was written that the earth was created 4.5 Billion years ago will that change anything? this number is so outrageously high that no human in his mind can even imagine how much time is that. When God created the MAN he made him perfect that means that he must have been young, handsome, powerful, intellegent, and pure. So what is the perfect age? no one knows but I guess we can agree that it must around 25 or something like that. So here it is the man who was only one day old already look 25.

No proof.  Just your own fantasy of what Adam looked like.

Maybe God created everything in a already advance stage of how everything was supposed to be so it wouldn't take 4.5 Billion years he sped up the process a little.

So, in addition to creating our Earth, other planets that are uninhabitable by us, other galaxies we'll probably never go to, etc. he also created trees already with growth rings, perfectly placed rocks in order of age, mountains in the height we see today, he created the continents as one to have the same fossil record on most continents but then he pushed the continents apart (to confuse us)  And when he created the stars just for us, in other galaxies that we'll never go to, he somehow sped up the photons to reach earth sooner? And then somehow he reached his magical hands down to speed up the reactions of all radioisotopes to make the earth younger...?

Actually you're right.... all that makes perfect sense to me. I kept it short but I could have written more.

Slavery?

Thomas Jefferson a man who said all men are created equal and owned more then 200 slaves, how's that?Remember we are not good.The only good that exist is perfection everything else is messed up.

While Thomas Jefferson did have slaves I don't believe he ordered any of them beat to an inch of their life.  Read your god's book.  He directly gave orders on the guidelines for beating slaves. Or any one of us could give you the scripture.

And since we know nothing is perfect... then by your reasoning nothing is good?

no evidence?

who says there's no evidence? maybe it hasn't been found yet. Or if it was found hasn't been exposed because this will cause switching belief systems. 10,000 witnesses of his resurrection what else do you want? Unfortunately all of them are sleeping.

I find it hard to believe that 10,000 people (as claimed by you) saw his miracles and only a fraction of a percent wrote about him.  Those stories are now summed up in one book.  One true divine book for jesus and god when you can find 176 books at the library on sand.

we should pray to God to give us the wisdom so we can distinguish what he is trying to communicate to us through his word.

Instead of praying for wisdom why don't you just open up that mass of neurons in your cranium. That's where my wisdom comes from

One of the main difference is that Christians hate to sin.

Oh boy, if I had a nickel for every christian that sinned but... "I knew I wasn't supposed to."

La scienze non ha nemici ma gli ignoranti.