Main Discussion Zone > General Religious Discussion

Jesus: What would you have to see to believe that He is real?

<< < (19/23) > >>

RealityCheck:

--- Quote from: bertatberts on February 24, 2010, 05:02:02 PM ---
--- Quote from: RealityCheck on February 24, 2010, 01:31:39 PM ---It is my understanding that most historians agree that a man named Jesus walked the earth and said these things. They just may not agree that He was God's son. Am I not right in this?

--- End quote ---
It is very likely that a person called Jesus was around at the time, heck there around even today, however there is no evidence that one of these Jesus' went round preaching etc. but there is evidence for numerous so called messiahs being around at the time.

I very much doubt that historians agree as you say, (citation needed).

but when it comes to a biblical Jesus, there is no evidence whatsoever.

--- End quote ---

Well, what is interesting is that so many people were convinced of him. We aren't talking a David Copperfield with access to all modern technology has to offer here. Jesus didn't have stage props to walk across when He was walking across water. It would have been the real deal.

If you do encounter some of these people that claim to be "Jesus," etc, 99.9% of people dismiss the person based upon negative mental thoughts. You can just tell the guy is a fake.

However, the guys that are fakes don't have 2000 year old books written by several authors about them. What made the bible last so long when there are clearly:

--- Quote from: bertatberts on February 24, 2010, 05:02:02 PM ---numerous so called messiahs.

--- End quote ---

Only one person was able to convince everyone of His miracles.

Blaze:

--- Quote from: RealityCheck on February 25, 2010, 12:20:47 AM ---2) If someone a rock existed since (forever) (no beginning) -- its a far stretch to say that that rock would turn into an INFINITE number of planets and stars and human beings and dinosaurs all by itself!

--- End quote ---

Who said anything about a rock!?

RealityCheck:

--- Quote from: Blaze on February 25, 2010, 12:27:42 AM ---Who said anything about a rock!?

--- End quote ---

I did. It was an example given to YRM to answer his statement that:

--- Quote from: YRM ---Fortunately for me, all evidence points towards god not existing at all.  It actually explains everything in a logical, rational, consistent way.

--- End quote ---

Aspie:

--- Quote from: RealityCheck on February 25, 2010, 12:23:39 AM ---Well, what is interesting is that so many people were convinced of him.
--- End quote ---

People are convinced of all kinds of ridiculous things from deities of all kinds watching over them to Nigerian princes willing to hand over large portions of their inheritance. Gullible people will be gullible - this is nothing new.

--- Quote from: RealityCheck on February 25, 2010, 12:23:39 AM ---We aren't talking a David Copperfield with access to all modern technology has to offer here.
--- End quote ---

You're right. Instead, we're talking about a largely illiterate population that spread information and legends orally with no method of verification.

--- Quote ---Jesus didn't have stage props to walk across when He was walking across water. It would have been the real deal.

If you do encounter some of these people that claim to be "Jesus," etc, 99.9% of people dismiss the person based upon negative mental thoughts. You can just tell the guy is a fake.

However, the guys that are fakes don't have 2000 year old books written by several authors about them. What made the bible last so long when there are clearly:

--- Quote from: bertatberts on February 24, 2010, 05:02:02 PM ---numerous so called messiahs.

--- End quote ---

Only one person was able to convince everyone of His miracles.

--- End quote ---

Well I'm sure glad you were there to witness it. That explains a lot - the end times haven't happened because the entire generation didn't die off yet. So are you the only one still alive?

Or is there a consensus of historians on the miracles?

Aspie:
Oh, and it's especially fortunate that the exact words, lessons, and miracles of Jesus were written down immediately, instead of decades after he died; otherwise I would've been worried about at least 30 years of a well-rounded game of Telephone.

--- Quote from: RealityCheck on February 25, 2010, 12:20:47 AM ---2) If someone a rock existed since (forever) (no beginning) -- its a far stretch to say that that rock would turn into an INFINITE number of planets and stars and human beings and dinosaurs all by itself!
--- End quote ---

Lovely. You get an all-powerful magical creator with attributes that defy basic logic by fiat. We get... a rock. Wow, don't spoil us too much!  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version