Author Topic: Richarddawkins.Net forum closing(ish)  (Read 1516 times)

Offline Ada-B

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • Bear Behaving Badly, CBBC
Richarddawkins.Net forum closing(ish)
« on: February 22, 2010, 06:00:52 PM »
Hi Everyone,
I don't know if anyone is on our rival site, Richarddawkins.Net, but they've just announced they're changing their forum so it's, well, as far as I can understand, no longer an open forum. Instead, all topics will be have to go through moderation before posting, and all off-topic posts (you know, the religious LOLcats, the silly pictures of tranny Jeses's etc) will be banned.

The mods appear to have gone AWOL so the site is effectively shutting down, as far as I can tell. People don't seem to want to stick around. Everyone's blaming Richard Dawkins, which I think is unfair, and the mods, but I suspect it's just got too big to be manageable.

I have mentioned our beloved site on RDN, in the hope of poaching a few more disgruntled members (although in the world of atheism, the more the better IMHO) but others of you might fancy going over there and collecting some 'friends' together.

Incidentally, I've just posted what I know, which isn't a lot, so if anyone knows more (or more accurately), please feel free to correct me. I just want all of us to live in harmony  8)
"It is not power that corrupts but fear," Aung San Suu Kyi, Burmese Opposition leader

"I refuse to fight a battle of wits with an unarmed man," Oscar Wilde.

Offline ReasonIsOutToLunch

Re: Richarddawkins.Net forum closing(ish)
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 06:03:09 PM »
...silly pictures of tranny Jeses's etc) will be banned.

That's harsh.
God, doesn't know pi.

Offline subtleinspiration

• Fellow
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 06:17:51 PM »
^ so that's where RaptorJesus went!  :D
"As a God fearing Christian,  you should never ever date an Atheist. One night alone with an atheist is enough for you to lose your faith and to be converted into one of the spiritually dead."

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +685/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 10:11:19 PM »
Hi Everyone,
I don't know if anyone is on our rival site, Richarddawkins.Net, but they've just announced they're changing their forum so it's, well, as far as I can understand, no longer an open forum. Instead, all topics will be have to go through moderation before posting, and all off-topic posts (you know, the religious LOLcats, the silly pictures of tranny Jeses's etc) will be banned.

Good.  Then maybe it won't be such a waste of time. Maybe atheists will be able to get something accomplished.  I raise a glass to Richard Dawkins for doing what Sam Harris should have done at The Reason Project. 

I have mentioned our beloved site on RDN, in the hope of poaching a few more disgruntled members (although in the world of atheism, the more the better IMHO) but others of you might fancy going over there and collecting some 'friends' together.

Great.  We get all the LOLatheists.  Just what we need.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 11:01:16 PM »
Bummer.  I like that site.  But it's most valuable feature, it's excellent scientific information, is going to remain intact.  Here's hoping it will remain an awesome resource.

I do like this forum a lot!!!!  WOO HOO!!!!!

Offline xphobe

• Professor
  • Darwins +12/-0
  • the truth is out there
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 11:10:35 PM »
There's room for both.  The Intertubes are big.
I stopped believing for a little while this morning. Journey is gonna be so pissed when they find out...

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +276/-31
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 11:16:40 PM »
Good.  Then maybe it won't be such a waste of time. Maybe atheists will be able to get something accomplished.  I raise a glass to Richard Dawkins for doing what Sam Harris should have done at The Reason Project.

Indeed.  Any forum can host (anti-) religious arguments and/or ridicule.  Not every forum can be an area of productive correspondence.  The former is easy to come across, the latter hard.  Turning one of the former into the latter should be applauded.
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +685/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 11:22:28 AM »
Some explanation of the aparent uproar.  It is rather one sided and not flattering.
http://realityismyreligion.wordpress.com/2010/02/23/locked-entry-will-open-soon/

Meanwhile the people at the Reason Project forum are high fiving themselves for being a "lawless" "community" and "fighting the good fight" against people who wanted to see a more tightly focused and moderated forum.
http://www.reasonproject.org/forum/viewthread/14406/
Retards.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline xphobe

• Professor
  • Darwins +12/-0
  • the truth is out there
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 12:25:58 PM »
Some explanation of the aparent uproar.  It is rather one sided and not flattering.
http://realityismyreligion.wordpress.com/2010/02/23/locked-entry-will-open-soon/

ew.  Reminds me of the death of the first WWGHA forum.  After that unpleasant time I learned not to take participation in any forum seriously.  The owners are not obligated to treat any of the anonymous volunteers with any respect at all.  There is never any guarantee of any "freedom of speech" on a private board.   We're all here at someone's whim, and he can redo the format or even shut the whole thing down at a moment's notice if he wants. It's true here, at RDF, and at TRP.  Enjoy what you have while you have it.
I stopped believing for a little while this morning. Journey is gonna be so pissed when they find out...