Author Topic: Well [#2297]  (Read 1298 times)

Offline DL

Well [#2297]
« on: February 18, 2010, 08:54:28 PM »
I'd just like to say that I stumbled upon some of your video's today and found them
quite interesting.
I think its great that your coming up with all these challenging questions, because
it makes one think which is good!  And as you say in most of the video's - I am
Religious, and Intelligent.  I know what its like to live my life without God (non
religious I suppose you could say) and with him. What does bother me though is that
it seems you don't quite understand very well what your talking about when quoting
bible verses.  I mean if you expect the people to be watching the movies to be moved
or question God after... You should probably be, or at least sound Intelligent
yourself.  Now I'm sure you are in the science side of things because obviously that
is what you are promoting, unfortunately though to those who are religious and
intelligent it doesn't seem like it from your religious perspective.
Many people who have a personal relationship with God, don't question who he is or
what they believe because it is just that... Personal.  They have had experiences,
God has done something in their life... Whatever it was it was personal to them, and
because of that they pursue him.  That being said who are you or I to say he didn't?

Anyways, just wanted to say I think its cool your asking questions.  I just think
instead of expecting other people to have an open mind about what you have to say,
you should probably have an open mind about what your arguing against and look into
it some more so that you not only understand but can rethink some of your questions.
 Until then I don't think many people who actually know the bible well, the context
it was written in and have a personal relationship with God are really going to get
anything from your video's.
Take it easy,

Offline AndyS

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Imagine
Re: Well [#2297]
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 09:09:17 PM »
I'd just like to say that I stumbled upon some of your video's today and found them
quite interesting.

Many people who have a personal relationship with God, don't question who he is or
what they believe because it is just that... Personal. 
God has done something in their life...

Which God(s) are you referring to?  Perhaps many have had a relationship with Thor, Zeus, Ra, Allah - the list goes on.  However, this does not make it objectively true.  Perhaps you should have an open mind and question.  Perhaps you need a god to validate your existence, help you understand the world and act as a crutch.  It is a pity that the idea of "personal" moves on to indoctrination of young minds, thus stunting and retarding our civilisation.

Today is the day of the agnostic modernist, anti theist and non believing enquirer.  Blind faith, free will and talking snakes will have had their time. 2000 years of superstition soon to be a figment of deluded imaginations...
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that." - George Carlin

Offline William

• Fellow
  • Darwins +92/-2
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 09:32:33 PM »
I think its great that your coming up with all these challenging questions, because
it makes one think which is good!
So what was it like? ... your first time thinking? 

Oooops ....spoke to soon ....

I just think instead of expecting other people to have an open mind about what you have to say,....
Git mit uns

Offline anthony_retford

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 08:42:26 AM »
Now I'm sure you are in the science side of things because obviously that
is what you are promoting, unfortunately though to those who are religious and
intelligent it doesn't seem like it from your religious perspective.

Atheists don't have any religious perspective. You do. Atheists do not believe in any god. You do. Atheists are not promoting anything. You are.
People are 'erroneously confident' in their knowledge and underestimate the odds that their information or beliefs will be proved wrong. They tend to seek additional information in ways that confirm what they already believe.
Max Bazenman, Harvard University

Offline omniweasel

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Death-Rabbits
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 10:07:35 AM »
what they believe because it is just that... Personal.  They have had experiences,
God has done something in their life... Whatever it was it was personal to them, and
because of that they pursue him.

and these people we have no problem with. its when they start trying to impress "relationship with god" on others that it becomes no longer personal

Offline GotMooo

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 03:05:32 AM »
because of that they pursue him.  That being said who are you or I to say he didn't?

If it remains a personal experience, then I really don't care very much about it.  It's when public policy is influenced by these kinds of people that I get upset and rant.  Unfortunately religion is a virus of the mind that negatively affects people who aren't even religious.  Whenever this happens, it becomes the evil, ungodly people's problem.  Then some of them make videos and websites like this one to do their part to help eliminate the virus throughout humanity.

Offline lighthouse777

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 10:19:56 PM »
I agree with the original post creator when he says that you misquote some Bible verses.  You need to read them in context, or else you won't know what they mean.  And guys, the personal attacks like 'how was you first time thinking?' against Christians just give the impression to others that you are the ignorant ones.  Believing in something higher than onesself does not make one ignorant.  If anything, it is ignorant to not believe in God.  What created the universe?  If God didn't, and a universe can't create itself (think about it intelligently) what did?  Nothing.  Therefore we do not exist.  But of course we exist, meaning that something had to create us.  There cannot be a REaction without an initial action.  So think about it.  Thinking about it was what got me OUT of atheism.
Thanks, guys

Offline none

• Fellow
  • Darwins +11/-4
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 10:24:30 PM »
I agree with the original post creator when he says that you misquote some Bible verses.  You need to read them in context, or else you won't know what they mean.  And guys, the personal attacks like 'how was you first time thinking?' against Christians just give the impression to others that you are the ignorant ones.  Believing in something higher than onesself does not make one ignorant.  If anything, it is ignorant to not believe in God.  What created the universe?  If God didn't, and a universe can't create itself (think about it intelligently) what did?  Nothing.  Therefore we do not exist.  But of course we exist, meaning that something had to create us.  There cannot be a REaction without an initial action.  So think about it.  Thinking about it was what got me OUT of atheism.
Thanks, guys
yawn.
so creation was a reaction to nothingness?

Offline Grogan

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
    • I Deny God
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 10:27:05 PM »
  What created the universe?  If God didn't, and a universe can't create itself (think about it intelligently) what did?  Nothing. 

YES!!!!!!!!!!

THIS.

Theists doing all the work.
Quote from: kenn
You want to understand God and the world around you through science and logic alone and, because you cannot come up with a "reasonable" explanation for what they ate when leaving the ark, you dismiss it.

Online Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +49/-0
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 10:27:17 PM »
If anything, it is ignorant to not believe in God.  What created the universe?  If God didn't, and a universe can't create itself (think about it intelligently) what did?  Nothing.

A God of the gaps, a straw man argument and a mis-understanding of cosmology/physics all in one. Congrats.

EDIT: If anything it is ignorant to believe in god, since there's no PROOF for god. Believing in god is taking the lazy way out when it comes to that which you don't understand origins of. For example: The universe. Where did it come from... Ah, the expansion of a singularity about 14 b. years ago . Where did that come from? No clue. But that's cool. It's always best to claim you don't know than to pretend you do. It's arrogant to think you've got all the answers to our existence, and that that answer is one three letter word - GOD...
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 10:38:37 PM by Emily »
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline Operator_011

• Fellow
  • Darwins +17/-1
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 10:31:05 PM »
I agree with the original post creator when he says that you misquote some Bible verses.  You need to read them in context, or else you won't know what they mean.

Might be beneficial for you to check out this link to one of our forum pages and consider what it says.

Enjoy.

Eleven.
Former Moderator Account

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +29/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 10:35:32 PM »
Thanks, guys
I disagree. Belief in the christian god makes you  both willfully ignorant and delusional.
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Offline dmnemaine

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2010, 11:12:10 PM »
...a universe can't create itself ...

Why can't a universe create itself?  Do you know some law of physics that no one else does?  Do you have verifiable proof that universes don't create themselves?  Have you ever watched a universe being formed? 

Offline GotMooo

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2010, 11:29:14 PM »
Thinking about it was what got me OUT of atheism.

Ok.  So which god(s) do you believe in then and explain how you went from lacking a belief in deities to believing in a specific god(s).  Or are you deistic?  What is your criteria for deciding which belief system to adhere to (if applicable)?

Offline Gimpy

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2010, 11:29:46 PM »
I agree with the original post creator when he says that you misquote some Bible verses.  You need to read them in context, or else you won't know what they mean. 

Is that part of the Magic Decoder Ring? Guess what, many of us were christians for many many years. Many of us have studied the bible for many many years. The out-of-context and cherry-picking is the standard operating procedure for christian apologists. Don't lecture us about the bible, and then misuse it yourself.

And guys, the personal attacks like 'how was you first time thinking?' against Christians just give the impression to others that you are the ignorant ones.

No it doesn't. It angers you and people like you so you then react, "nuh uh, you're the ign'rint one!"

But I don't think you need worry about that particular snark ("how was your first time thinking?") being bounced in your direction. 

Believing in something higher than onesself does not make one ignorant. 

What does that even mean "higher than yourself"? You mean something supernatural, that shows no evidence of existing in any reality? Yeah, it sort of does.

If anything, it is ignorant to not believe in God.  What created the universe?  If God didn't, and a universe can't create itself (think about it intelligently) what did?  Nothing.  Therefore we do not exist.  But of course we exist, meaning that something had to create us.  There cannot be a REaction without an initial action.  So think about it.  Thinking about it was what got me OUT of atheism.
Thanks, guys

Oh look, another disingenuous, fake "former" atheist. Your knowledge of the universe and possible explanations for how it began is woefully lacking. Were you really an atheist, it would be completely illogical for you to say, "well, I shore don't understand this! Instead of picking up a book to ed-ju-ma-cate myself about it, I'll just 'think' realllly realllly hard about a topic I know little or nothing, then deduce, "fuck! Goddidit!!!"

Who do you really think you are fooling?? I mean, really??
Not all those who wander are lost; some are buried in my backyard. . .

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +110/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2010, 01:03:01 AM »
Most christians are somewhat surprised to find that many atheists know the bible better than they do.
It isn't really much of a surprise if you take the time to think about it, after all many atheists were former christians, they looked for whatever answers they could.

However, to answer the original letter writers post and the later one from lighthouse777, I agree.  Many of the quotes used in the videos are taken somewhat out of context, and a few are clearly meant in a metaphorical way.

What it bears reminding of though, is that even, metaphorical though they are, they are still promises made in the bible.  The bible makes promises, some clear as black and white print, others somewhat vague.  The bible does not deliver on these promises.  The questions posed by the site "why won't god heal amputees?" is itself rhetorical in nature.

A better way of phrasing it would be "why won't god perform unambiguous miracles?"  You see, the only descriptions that we have of god come from those in the bible, if the bible is not accurate in many places, how can we know where it is accurate?
Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.  Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline I Am your God

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2010, 01:37:15 AM »
So think about it.  Thinking about it was what got me OUT of atheism.

It was much more fun when I was Zeus

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +266/-34
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2010, 02:24:59 AM »
What created the universe?  If God didn't, and a universe can't create itself (think about it intelligently) what did?  Nothing. 

bold: WRONG

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2010, 02:35:16 AM »
Many people who have a personal relationship with God,

Your personal relationship with god is you playing with yourself.
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Offline godisimaginary

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2010, 07:30:21 AM »
Everyone has their own interpretation of the bible. Who is to say you even know what you are talking about when it comes to the bible? 50 other Christians may actually agree with the sites assessment as do I.

And guys, the personal attacks like 'how was you first time thinking?' against Christians just give the impression to others that you are the ignorant ones.  Believing in something higher than onesself does not make one ignorant.  If anything, it is ignorant to not believe in God. 

Oh really? Is not ignorant to believe in something with no EVIDENCE to back it up? Why don't you believe in Scientology? Thor? Fairies? You are the ignorant one. To bad you are to ignorant to even see this.

What created the universe?  If God didn't, and a universe can't create itself (think about it intelligently) what did?  Nothing.  Therefore we do not exist.  But of course we exist, meaning that something had to create us.  There cannot be a REaction without an initial action.  So think about it.  Thinking about it was what got me OUT of atheism.
Thanks, guys

This is just an assumption. Even if someone created the universe WHO SAYS IT WAS A GOD? Where is your logic in this? Do you see where I am going with this? No one knows currently what happened in the beginning, but we are always moving forward with our discoveries. Just because all the answers are not out there doesn't mean you should believe in a god(when thousands of others gods exist).

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
Give man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

Offline Brakeman

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-3
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2010, 12:07:36 PM »
  Thinking about it was what got me OUT of atheism.

You may have thought about "where did we come from", but you certainly haven't been looking at the whole picture. Your "god of the gaps" doesn't work when viewing the facts of archeology, church history, biblical history and contradictions, and other Sciences that contradict biblical teachings. Christianity is the WHOLE picture, destroy any part of it and it all falls down as false. Yet skeptics fairly easily destroy all of the facets of God. Defend one wall if you wish, but for your beliefs to be true you'd have to defend them all, and most christians don't want to hear all of the facts against their delusions.
Help find the cure for FUNDAMENTIA !

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +110/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.  Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline I Am your God

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2010, 04:34:09 AM »
It was much more fun when I was Zeus

Offline anthony_retford

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2010, 06:34:26 AM »

From your self-declared intelligence, why is it that the many people who have a personal relationship are Westerners, at least I am quite sure you are not talking about natives of Africa, especially improverished countries where the children are starving. So, please use your intelligence and not some nonsense about testing or other purposes, and explain why starving children don't have these experiences, because they would not be starving if they had so-called "personal experiences with god." Frankly I must doubt your level of intelligence just because of what I see in the world, and that you most likely base things on your immediate environment.
People are 'erroneously confident' in their knowledge and underestimate the odds that their information or beliefs will be proved wrong. They tend to seek additional information in ways that confirm what they already believe.
Max Bazenman, Harvard University