Author Topic: XP [#335]  (Read 1481 times)

Offline DL

• Fellow
  • Darwins +0/-0
XP [#335]
« on: September 01, 2008, 06:46:57 AM »

i dont hate you but i hate the things that your doing and saying. so stop posting videos that offend people of the Christian faith. one day you will wish you hadn't of posted those lame videos.

Offline StPatrick

• Reader
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • The patron saint of WWGHA
Re: XP [#335]
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 07:33:50 AM »
Note that he doesn't say we were wrong, just that he was pissed.
If we come together and do not fight over religion, class and borders then we hold the key to a peaceful world. There are two possible futures in store; either a March of power and greed or a March of a unified human race.

Offline Dragnet

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • iustus res "We just want the facts"
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 08:59:26 AM »
I was under the impression that there is no right to NOT be offended.
I am offended by many people of faith.
Try living in the same town with Fred Phelps.
I am responsible with my actions NOW so I don't HAVE to be responsible for them later.

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 10:35:23 AM »
i dont hate you but i hate the things that your doing and saying. so stop posting videos that offend people of the Christian faith. one day you will wish you hadn't of posted those lame videos.

I'll make you a deal.  As soon as Christians take private beliefs and keep them to themselves, you will have a valid complaint.   If Christians are not willing to do that, and insist on making private beliefs public, then I will have to insist on my personal freedom of speech -- and that includes saying whatever about your personal god that you put into the public space.
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline tomthecool

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 11:17:44 AM »
We'll do a deal -- If you can find a way to take religion out of politics, schools, scientific research, etc, then we'll stop discussing your delusion. Okay?
Some say I am the cool Tom... others wouldn't.

Offline Frank

• Reader
  • Darwins +38/-20
  • You're doin' my head in!!
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 02:14:54 PM »

If not up to me if the videos are posted or not. But if it was the answer would be no. OK?
"Atheism is not a mission to convert the world. It only seems that way because when other religions fall away, atheism is what is left behind".

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 04:31:35 PM »

Too bad.  Your worship of a bloody deity from the Bronze Age that requires women to be raped, children to be killed and people to be condemned to hell offends me.  I do love the cute little threats that Christians feel obliged to make. Oooh, you'll be sorry when my invisible friend comes back. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline StPatrick

• Reader
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • The patron saint of WWGHA
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 05:11:21 PM »
I do love the cute little threats that Christians feel obliged to make. Oooh, you'll be sorry when my invisible friend comes back. 

I know, it's a threat a child would make.

Seriously, why doesn't this person say "If you don't stop making fun of my god, I'm gonna POUND you!"  We'd have about the same level of respect for him if he did this.
If we come together and do not fight over religion, class and borders then we hold the key to a peaceful world. There are two possible futures in store; either a March of power and greed or a March of a unified human race.

Offline Charlies Angel

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 09:01:40 PM »
Wow!  Did someone put a gun to your head and force you to watch the videos posted here?  You are perfectly capable of sticking to your Christian websites where you can delude yourself all you want.  I'm sure there are plenty of un-lame videos there.

Have a nice day!
Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer.

Malachi4

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008, 09:29:10 PM »
I'll make you a deal.  As soon as Christians take private beliefs and keep them to themselves, you will have a valid complaint.   If Christians are not willing to do that, and insist on making private beliefs public, then I will have to insist on my personal freedom of speech -- and that includes saying whatever about your personal god that you put into the public space.

Hermes, a true Christian would keep his/her beliefs to themselves and not say a word to you about it unless you asked. It is NOT Biblical for Christians to always try and convert people, knocking on doors, etc. Some will say it is because the Bible says to go into all the World and preach the Gospel, and it does, but it never says go house to house person to person and do so. A person who thinks you should do that can't show you one place where Jesus ever went to a house, without being invited to stay there, and tried to tell them the "Good News". He went from town to town and if you wanted to hear what He had to say, you went to Him. The Bible says 1) Not to present your pearls before the swine and 2) No one comes unto the Father except called by Me.  So, when you just go up and shove your beliefs in someone's face, you are contrary to the Word.

I'm a Christian and I don't blame you guys for being upset over this type stuff. It's ridiculous for people who call themselves Christians to act this way and one day they will answer for it...  I'm on your side! (You think I'm weird don't you.... lol)

Offline Freak

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2008, 09:48:32 PM »
If I read about what a 'true' christian would do once more I'm going to go barf.
When I was a kid, I used to pray every night for a new bike. Then I realised, the Lord doesn't work that way. So I just stole one and asked Him to forgive me. - Emo Philips

Malachi4

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2008, 10:49:59 PM »
If I read about what a 'true' christian would do once more I'm going to go barf.

Better get your bag ready then....   ;)

Offline Airyaman

• Fellow
  • Darwins +17/-2
  • Alignment: True Neutral
    • Moving Beyond Faith
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 03:18:43 AM »

Hermes, a true Christian would keep his/her beliefs to themselves and not say a word to you about it unless you asked.

So all of the people I encounter who do not tell me about Jesus are True ChristiansTM? Man, I never knew there were so many of you out there!
If you are following God why can I still see you?

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2008, 05:10:42 AM »
Hermes, a true Christian would keep his/her beliefs to themselves and not say a word to you about it unless you asked. It is NOT Biblical for Christians to always try and convert people, knocking on doors, etc.

Agreed.  It is supported by your Bible;

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew 6:5-7;&version=31;

Also, the Jews have a policy of keeping all charity as a private matter ... not to boost the ego by making everyone know about it.  I don't know if this is in the Tanakh or specifically in the Talmud.

I'm a Christian and I don't blame you guys for being upset over this type stuff. It's ridiculous for people who call themselves Christians to act this way and one day they will answer for it...  I'm on your side! (You think I'm weird don't you.... lol)

[tips hat]
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Malachi4

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2008, 07:36:41 AM »

Hermes, a true Christian would keep his/her beliefs to themselves and not say a word to you about it unless you asked.

So all of the people I encounter who do not tell me about Jesus are True ChristiansTM? Man, I never knew there were so many of you out there!

Now you're just being rude. I'm not being rude, I'm agreeing with you and you're making fun of me because of it? You're behaving no differently than those who persecute you....

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2008, 07:52:11 AM »

Hermes, a true Christian would keep his/her beliefs to themselves and not say a word to you about it unless you asked. It is NOT Biblical for Christians to always try and convert people, knocking on doors, etc. Some will say it is because the Bible says to go into all the World and preach the Gospel, and it does, but it never says go house to house person to person and do so. A person who thinks you should do that can't show you one place where Jesus ever went to a house, without being invited to stay there, and tried to tell them the "Good News". He went from town to town and if you wanted to hear what He had to say, you went to Him. The Bible says 1) Not to present your pearls before the swine and 2) No one comes unto the Father except called by Me.  So, when you just go up and shove your beliefs in someone's face, you are contrary to the Word.

so, are you a "true Christian"?  How can we tell you from all of the other "true Christians" who proclaim themselves so on this website?  Why is your interpretation of the Bible the "right" one?

and no, you're no weirder than any other Christian. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

Malachi4

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2008, 08:54:49 AM »

so, are you a "true Christian"?  How can we tell you from all of the other "true Christians" who proclaim themselves so on this website?  Why is your interpretation of the Bible the "right" one?

The Bible says (which they claim to believe and most haven't even read it all) you shall know them by their fruit. Since on the web you can't "see" them, then IMO their fruits are how they behave. If they are name calling, swearing, yelling, arguing and/or trying to convert you, they are contrary to the Word they profess to believe.

There is no "interpretation" of the Bible that is correct. If someone tells you what the Bible says, you should go and verify for yourself that is what it says, I don't care if a pastor/preacher/pope said it from the pulpit. Many times what they tell you the Bible "says" is incorrect, so I guess what I'm saying is I don't adhere to any interpretation. I go by what the Bible says. The Bible is the only interpretation I use.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2008, 09:54:13 AM »

The Bible says (which they claim to believe and most haven't even read it all) you shall know them by their fruit. Since on the web you can't "see" them, then IMO their fruits are how they behave. If they are name calling, swearing, yelling, arguing and/or trying to convert you, they are contrary to the Word they profess to believe.

There is no "interpretation" of the Bible that is correct. If someone tells you what the Bible says, you should go and verify for yourself that is what it says, I don't care if a pastor/preacher/pope said it from the pulpit. Many times what they tell you the Bible "says" is incorrect, so I guess what I'm saying is I don't adhere to any interpretation. I go by what the Bible says. The Bible is the only interpretation I use.

so, basically, you have your own magic decoder ring that you think is correct.  I have seen your argument made by many other "true Christians" and they come up with different answers than you.  This is a common thing.  Each Christian is sure that they are the only true one.  However, the Bible God can't bother with showing if any really are.  As for name calling, Jesus himself did it.  Jesus also debated people about religion, though we don't have much about that except for the very end of the story.  Cursing, I can understand that not being a good "fruit", so you may have soemthign there.  However, conversion is all through the NT.  I do see that 1 peter 3 does have that people should answer questions about their "faith" and only do so with respect.  However, the "great commission" doesn't say this at all.  It says to preach the word to "all creation".  There is nothing to say that one should wait for a question.  It also says that there will be pretty neat superpowers associated with this action.  At best, it seems that there is simply one more contradiction in the bible adn that people pick and choose what they want from the bible to fit their personal idea of religion. 

I do have one question.  If you think only people who are "called" by Jesus ever have a chance to be Christians, are people simply damned to hell, per John 3) because Jesus/God chose to not "call" them? 

Offline Airyaman

• Fellow
  • Darwins +17/-2
  • Alignment: True Neutral
    • Moving Beyond Faith
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2008, 10:20:22 AM »

Now you're just being rude. I'm not being rude, I'm agreeing with you and you're making fun of me because of it? You're behaving no differently than those who persecute you....

Someone is persecuting me? Man, I seem to really be ignorant these days.
If you are following God why can I still see you?

Malachi4

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2008, 11:02:39 AM »

so, basically, you have your own magic decoder ring that you think is correct.  I have seen your argument made by many other "true Christians" and they come up with different answers than you.  This is a common thing.  Each Christian is sure that they are the only true one.  However, the Bible God can't bother with showing if any really are.  As for name calling, Jesus himself did it.  Jesus also debated people about religion, though we don't have much about that except for the very end of the story.  Cursing, I can understand that not being a good "fruit", so you may have soemthign there.  However, conversion is all through the NT.  I do see that 1 peter 3 does have that people should answer questions about their "faith" and only do so with respect.  However, the "great commission" doesn't say this at all.  It says to preach the word to "all creation".  There is nothing to say that one should wait for a question.  It also says that there will be pretty neat superpowers associated with this action.  At best, it seems that there is simply one more contradiction in the bible adn that people pick and choose what they want from the bible to fit their personal idea of religion. 

I do have one question.  If you think only people who are "called" by Jesus ever have a chance to be Christians, are people simply damned to hell, per John 3) because Jesus/God chose to not "call" them? 

First of all there is not one contradiction in the Bible. You may think there is, or may try to make there to be one, but there isn't. Not one.

God calls everyone. He does not pick and choose. Whether they answer the call is up to them.

Without an experience, you cannot have a testimony to who God is. So, the magic decoder ring for anyone out there is the Holy Spirit. Not all people who claim to have the correct interpretation of the Bible have the Holy Spirit.

Oh, and one more thing... Jesus/God - that is the same person. So, you can just say Jesus, or God... He goes by either.

Offline Freak

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2008, 11:42:52 AM »
No contradictions? Wow, ok let me just randomly pick something that looks like a contradiction to me, and watch you try and squiggle your way out of it. Hmmm....
Who is the father of Joseph?
MAT 1:16 And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.
LUK 3:23 And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli.
When I was a kid, I used to pray every night for a new bike. Then I realised, the Lord doesn't work that way. So I just stole one and asked Him to forgive me. - Emo Philips

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2008, 03:31:00 PM »

First of all there is not one contradiction in the Bible. You may think there is, or may try to make there to be one, but there isn't. Not one.
So many Christians say.  However, there are, very blatant contradictions.  Again, you seem to think that only you have the magic power to make there not be.  Let me guess, you'll say that I don't understand "right". 
God calls everyone. He does not pick and choose. Whether they answer the call is up to them.

Your Bible would beg to disagree, Romans 9.
Without an experience, you cannot have a testimony to who God is. So, the magic decoder ring for anyone out there is the Holy Spirit. Not all people who claim to have the correct interpretation of the Bible have the Holy Spirit
So, how do I tell who really has the holy spirit?  Anyone who agrees with you?  That's what all Christians say. "I have the holy spirit.  I know what God really meant." 
Oh, and one more thing... Jesus/God - that is the same person. So, you can just say Jesus, or God... He goes by either.
not according to some Christians.  However, I knew that's what you believed.