Poll

Childhood vaccines: Do they cause autism or other diseases?

I won't answer the religion question; it does not matter.
6 (30%)
Yes; autism.
2 (10%)
Yes; other disease(s).  (please specify)
1 (5%)
I answered no and I am a theist.
0 (0%)
I answered no and I am an atheist.
6 (30%)
I answered yes and I am a theist.
1 (5%)
I answered yes and I am a atheist.
1 (5%)
I won't answer the religion question; it does not matter.
3 (15%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: Childhood vaccines: Do they cause autism or other diseases?  (Read 798 times)

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
Childhood vaccines: Do they cause autism or other diseases?
« on: September 08, 2008, 08:58:32 PM »
Straight up question.  What do you think is true?

Please also specify your general religious POV.
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
Re: Childhood vaccines: Do they cause autism or other diseases?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 09:01:19 PM »
Childhood Vaccinations (broadcast Friday, August 29th, 2008) - 18 minutes
http://www.sciencefriday.com/program/archives/200808292
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 06:58:02 AM »
For the record, the person who answered "Yes, autism" needs to check current research results.  Wait ... or old research results.  There is no causation of one to the other.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 12:46:35 PM »
no evidence that they cause autism.  None whatsoever.  There is a weak chance that they can cause the disease that they are made from or some weakned version of it. 

I find that autism is a curious subject.  I find it to often be a word that has just taken the place of "mentally retarded" since that's not PC anymore.  I wonder if anyone has compared medical notes from say, 40 years ago to those now and compared what the doctors observed to get both diagnoses.
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Mooby

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
  • So it goes.
    • Is God Imaginary?
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 01:22:55 PM »
Live, attenuated vaccines can potentially cause the disease they're meant to protect.  One example is that the oral polio vaccine occasionally caused the polio virus.  Others can cause virus symptoms: the chicken pox vaccine can occasionally cause a person to have a mild pox appear, and become contagious during that time.

Inactivated and synthetic vaccines cannot cause the disease they're meant to protect.

Although there is no real evidence that the thiomersal used in vaccines causes autism, vaccine manufacturers have been phasing it out of their vaccines for the last decade or so to stem controversy.
"I'm doing science and I'm still alive."--J.C.