Author Topic: What sort of expertise do we have on this forum etc  (Read 5693 times)

Offline rickymooston

What sort of expertise do we have on this forum etc
« on: September 08, 2008, 06:09:09 PM »
DaveDave raised a point about experts. Long story.

What sort of experts do we have here. (Don't name somebody else, that might be impolite.)

For record, I'm a computer scientist. Can't really say I'm an expert, its my field, I don't have a ph'd in it and have not written gobs of books on it.
"i had learn to focus i what i could do rather what i couldn't do", Rick Hansen when asked about getting a disabling spinal cord injury at 15. He continues to raise money for spinal cord research and inspire peoople to "make a difference". He doesnt preach any religion.

Offline hayzelee

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
Re: What sort of expertise do we have on this forum etc
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 08:09:12 PM »
Er,I Do Science In College...
Sometimes...
When I Go...

>.<
Who are you to judge the life I live? I know I'm not perfect, I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, Make sure your hands are clean. - Bob Marley.

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • Moraxella catarrhalis on BA
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 08:51:24 PM »
Uh....

I'm a junior studying biochemistry.  I read a lot of different texts....
La scienze non ha nemici ma gli ignoranti.

Offline spider

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • ATT ambassador
    • Atheist Think Tank
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 09:51:11 PM »
I have done 5 semesters of a BSc forensic chemistry degree, failing about 3 of those semesters.  But I have a Certificate IV in Customer Contact, Business Development!!! 

Yeah we need the actual experts to answer.  I think it would be helpful before people like me take on heavyweights in their own field.

Offline Sota

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 11:49:00 PM »
Does being a sophomore in high school count as expertise?

Offline ;)

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • My name's Dan, ignore the crap username :)
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 12:27:09 PM »
I'm only doing my A-levels ...
So no real expertise :D

Physics and books get me by with my knowledge, though :)
Our freedom's consuming itself.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 12:33:07 PM »
I have my BS in geology and years working in it.  I have a strong background in biology from wanting that as a major before I switched to geology.  I have a decent grounding in chemistry and physics too. 

"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Mooby

• Reader
  • Darwins +75/-24
  • So it goes.
    • Is God Imaginary?
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 01:06:12 PM »
BS in biomathematics and philosophy.  Working on a DO.
"I'm doing science and I'm still alive."--J.C.

Offline rickymooston

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 01:10:22 PM »
Thanks for responses so far. I'm only really going to be responding if I don't understand what your qualifications mean. :D.

BS in biomathematics and philosophy.  Working on a DO.

DO=Ph'd?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 01:12:31 PM by rickymooston »
"i had learn to focus i what i could do rather what i couldn't do", Rick Hansen when asked about getting a disabling spinal cord injury at 15. He continues to raise money for spinal cord research and inspire peoople to "make a difference". He doesnt preach any religion.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +703/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 02:37:56 PM »
BS mechanical engineering - strenghts of materials discipline specifically (as opposed to fluids).  Triple minored in English lit, philosophy and religion.
Background in statistics.  Lean Six Sigma green belt.  lean six sigma black belt in training.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline rickymooston

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 03:31:22 PM »
BS mechanical engineering - strenghts of materials discipline specifically (as opposed to fluids).  Triple minored in English lit, philosophy and religion.
Background in statistics.  Lean Six Sigma green belt.  lean six sigma black belt in training.

For curiousity what is your honest opinion on six sigma. (What industry are you applying it to.)

In the context of software, i feel that alot of times its an excuse for companies to rehash the same initiatives that they've had in the last 20 years using different variants of the same practices; i.e., sometimes it introduces alot of churn. Obviously companies need processes. In the case of one of the companies I was working in, introducing 6 sigma was helping them further run the company to the ground, because the real problems were at the top.

Statistics eh? ;-) I almost studied that. Long story.

Offline Cyberia

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +35/-0
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2008, 12:56:42 AM »
BS Computer Engineering

Everything else I discuss comes from my own investigations and study.
Soon we will judge angels.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +703/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2008, 09:16:50 AM »
For curiousity what is your honest opinion on six sigma. (What industry are you applying it to.)

In the context of software, i feel that alot of times its an excuse for companies to rehash the same initiatives that they've had in the last 20 years using different variants of the same practices; i.e., sometimes it introduces alot of churn. Obviously companies need processes. In the case of one of the companies I was working in, introducing 6 sigma was helping them further run the company to the ground, because the real problems were at the top.

Statistics eh? ;-) I almost studied that. Long story.

I apply it to manufacturing.   I doubt 6 sig helped run the company into the ground. It is essentially a collection of statistical tool and problem solving techniques to help make good business decisions. So, in that sense, it is nothing new.  But the approach is new - more holistic and when combined with lean manufacturing it is quite powerful.  It can work, but as with anything, if it does not have support from the top down it will fail.  If the problems are the top, then there is little you can do anyway, short of strategic assassinations or blackmail.

I am not sure what you mean by "churn".  It should not be disruptive or add anything extra.  It should help you screen projects better by examining the value of the project and it should help your approach to completing projects.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Mooby

• Reader
  • Darwins +75/-24
  • So it goes.
    • Is God Imaginary?
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2008, 10:28:10 AM »
"I'm doing science and I'm still alive."--J.C.

Offline rickymooston

Offline Cycle4Fun

• Reader
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2008, 03:47:32 PM »
Chemical engineer by degree currently working as a material scientist.  Most recently getting experience as a plant engineer
How do you define soul?
"A baseless assertion by simple-minded, superstitious individuals"
   -Starstuff

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +703/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2008, 03:48:41 PM »
Where are all the head shrinkers?
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline rickymooston

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2008, 08:49:46 PM »
Chemical engineer by degree currently working as a material scientist.  Most recently getting experience as a plant engineer

Sorry forgot what is plant engineer. My dad did that kind of stuff, lol.

Offline Airyaman

• Fellow
  • Darwins +17/-2
  • Alignment: True Neutral
    • Moving Beyond Faith
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2008, 08:55:07 PM »
BS Chemistry
MS Engineering Mgmt
MMIS
If you are following God why can I still see you?

Offline Cycle4Fun

• Reader
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2008, 09:16:28 PM »

I fix problems that crop up at the plant.
How do you define soul?
   -Starstuff

Offline rickymooston

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2008, 09:20:28 PM »

What kind of a plant? Oil refinery? Factory? ...?

Barry Vickers

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2008, 03:36:50 PM »
I have a physics degree but I don't work in science. The more I learned about physics the more I realised we know little about our universe. But I don't believe in God and I certainly don't follow any of the religious groups. I can't disprove God either, so I guess I don't NOT believe in God either. Does that make me an agnostic? I'm not sure. I'm quite new to all this God debate stuff. I was fortunate to have grown up with little religious influence - although I was Christened and I was made to say the Lord's prayer once every school day. I was made to go to church too on xmas day. That I hated. All creepy statues, paintings, hymns and men in weird costumes talking nonsense. The sooner we quash all the superstitious beliefs the better, I say.

Offline ;)

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2008, 04:09:26 PM »
I have a physics degree but I don't work in science. The more I learned about physics the more I realised we know little about our universe. But I don't believe in God and I certainly don't follow any of the religious groups. I can't disprove God either, so I guess I don't NOT believe in God either. Does that make me an agnostic? I'm not sure. I'm quite new to all this God debate stuff. I was fortunate to have grown up with little religious influence - although I was Christened and I was made to say the Lord's prayer once every school day. I was made to go to church too on xmas day. That I hated. All creepy statues, paintings, hymns and men in weird costumes talking nonsense. The sooner we quash all the superstitious beliefs the better, I say.

What was your Physics degree like?
'Cause i'm looking at doing a Particle Physics degree when i've done my A-levels ::)

Offline PingTheServer

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Devil's Advocate
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2008, 04:52:26 PM »
BS - Comp & Information Science
Lots of certs, notably SQL Server.

Has no bearing on my philosophical reasoning.

Offline Cycle4Fun

• Reader
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2008, 06:22:27 PM »

What kind of a plant? Oil refinery? Factory? ...?

Rubber factory.  Think polymer processing and physical properties.
How do you define soul?
   -Starstuff

Barry Vickers

« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2008, 05:15:25 AM »

'Cause i'm looking at doing a Particle Physics degree when i've done my A-levels ::)

Physics is a very demanding subject, but it is also one of the most fascinating and rewarding for the right people. If you seriously want to study physics then definitely go for it, but don't expect to just do particle physics. Physics is a huge subject and you will have to start with the easier stuff and work your way up the tree of knowledge. Lots of students go into physics because of the quantum mechanical 'weird' stuff, but then discover that the classical stuff is just as interesting. Also, be prepared to do lots of mathematics! I find maths interesting and enjoyed the maths side of the course perhaps more than the physics side. Everyone struggles with maths (and physics) so don't feel too downhearted each time you find yourself really struggling (which you will). Everyone that sticks at it gets through the course - otherwise they wouldn't be allowed on the course to begin with. Also, do research on physics courses before you enrole because physics curriculum varies a lot from university to university. The last year(s) of your course will generally involve doing a project or dissertation. This is where you get to choose a particular physics direction (you might have the option of, say, doing a theoretical paper on hadron interractions). If you want to be a particle physicist then you will have to do research degree (usually a PhD) after your undergraduate degree, and your undergraduate dissertation will serve as a useful stepping stone into that field of science (pardon the pun). Lastly, don't let people 'ridicule' you for choosing physics! I got a lot of stick off friends and family who seemed to find it amusing that I would read maths books or books with 'quantum' in the title, for fun. If you're interested in physics and you want to study it then you should definitely go for it. The ones who laughed at me now regularly enthusiatically ask me questions about physics, so it seems that some people are too embarrassed to admit they're interested in science. This is probably down to the stereotypical physicist with no social skills or love life!? Physicists are generally NOT like that at all! The coolest people in this world are often the intelligent ones, and scientists are among the most intelligent of them all. So go for it, work hard, learn, stick at it and above all enjoy it.  ;)

Offline ;)

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2008, 07:31:51 AM »

Physics is a very demanding subject, but it is also one of the most fascinating and rewarding for the right people. If you seriously want to study physics then definitely go for it, but don't expect to just do particle physics. Physics is a huge subject and you will have to start with the easier stuff and work your way up the tree of knowledge. Lots of students go into physics because of the quantum mechanical 'weird' stuff, but then discover that the classical stuff is just as interesting. Also, be prepared to do lots of mathematics! I find maths interesting and enjoyed the maths side of the course perhaps more than the physics side. Everyone struggles with maths (and physics) so don't feel too downhearted each time you find yourself really struggling (which you will). Everyone that sticks at it gets through the course - otherwise they wouldn't be allowed on the course to begin with. Also, do research on physics courses before you enrole because physics curriculum varies a lot from university to university. The last year(s) of your course will generally involve doing a project or dissertation. This is where you get to choose a particular physics direction (you might have the option of, say, doing a theoretical paper on hadron interractions). If you want to be a particle physicist then you will have to do research degree (usually a PhD) after your undergraduate degree, and your undergraduate dissertation will serve as a useful stepping stone into that field of science (pardon the pun). Lastly, don't let people 'ridicule' you for choosing physics! I got a lot of stick off friends and family who seemed to find it amusing that I would read maths books or books with 'quantum' in the title, for fun. If you're interested in physics and you want to study it then you should definitely go for it. The ones who laughed at me now regularly enthusiatically ask me questions about physics, so it seems that some people are too embarrassed to admit they're interested in science. This is probably down to the stereotypical physicist with no social skills or love life!? Physicists are generally NOT like that at all! The coolest people in this world are often the intelligent ones, and scientists are among the most intelligent of them all. So go for it, work hard, learn, stick at it and above all enjoy it.  ;)

Ahhh thanks :)
Well it's not just particle physics i'm interested in, the course i've looked at (i've looked at lots thoroughly) is Physics, with particle physics and cosmology.
So it's abit of classical, particle and cosmological really, which is what i'm looking for.

Yeah i do find the physics and maths hard at times, but i find it really fascinating, so it's worth it ::)
& i know what you mean, everyone thinks i'm a right nerd because of the books i read :D

Offline johno

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2008, 11:46:46 AM »
Failed to get into medical school: too thick and idle, and that was probably lucky as I'd probably have made House look like Pollyanna. A BSc degree (1966)  in zoology with subsidiaries in botany and geology, PhD in zoology 1971, DSc in 2002, Fellow of the Institute of Biology in 2002. Taught courses in population dynamics, behavioural ecology, history and impact of the Origin of Species, statistics and programming for biologists, retired in 2004 after treatment for renal cancer. Now I amuse myself by contributing to a few atheistic bulletin boards with no discernible effect on other people's opinions.

johno

Offline rickymooston

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2008, 04:57:04 PM »
Failed to get into medical school: too thick and idle, and that was probably lucky as I'd probably have made House look like Pollyanna. A BSc degree (1966)  in zoology with subsidiaries in botany and geology, PhD in zoology 1971, DSc in 2002, Fellow of the Institute of Biology in 2002. Taught courses in population dynamics, behavioural ecology, history and impact of the Origin of Species, statistics and programming for biologists, retired in 2004 after treatment for renal cancer. Now I amuse myself by contributing to a few atheistic bulletin boards with no discernible effect on other people's opinions.

johno

Sorry about the cancer stuff. In theory, the treatments gotten better there?

Sounds like you should indeed have some serious expertise above. ;-).

What was your thesis on? How did you veer into the undergrad (I assume) applied stastics courses.