Author Topic: Lawmaker: Disabled kids are God's punishment for abortion  (Read 2152 times)

Offline jedweber

• Fellow
  • Darwins +19/-0
  • Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch
Lawmaker: Disabled kids are God's punishment for abortion
« on: February 22, 2010, 03:19:08 PM »
A Virginia lawmaker trying to defund Planned Parenthood declared that disabled and handicapped children are God's punishment for women who previously had abortions:

Legislator: Disabled kids are God's punishment

RICHMOND — State Delegate Bob Marshall of Manassas says disabled children are God's punishment to women who have aborted their first pregnancy.

He made that statement Thursday at a press conference to oppose state funding for Planned Parenthood.

"The number of children who are born subsequent to a first abortion with handicaps has increased dramatically. Why? Because when you abort the first born of any, nature takes its vengeance on the subsequent children," said Marshall, a Republican.

"In the Old Testament, the first born of every being, animal and man, was dedicated to the Lord. There's a special punishment Christians would suggest."

Marshall was among more than 20 people, mostly Christian pastors and clergy, who gathered for the press conference in the General Assembly Building.
http://www.newsleader.com/article/20100222/NEWS01/2220318

Offline Ada-B

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • Bear Behaving Badly, CBBC
Re: Lawmaker: Disabled kids are God's punishment for abortion
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 06:26:22 PM »
I've never had an abortion but I have a disabled child (who happens to be the third child). The church's abysmal treatment of me, because I had the temerity to have a disabled child, was probably a bigger reason for my leaving than my loss of faith, or my subsequent coming out as gay. The latter two situations I could blame on myself, but I knew I had nothing whatsoever to do with my child being born autistic (I've never had an abortion FYI).

I've often wondered if these people are so terrified of disability, they have to make up that sort of cr*p to reassure themselves it couldn't happen to them.

It's just so awful when you meet religious parents at parents support groups, and they are just torturing themselves with "Why did God do this to my child? What sin have I committed?" Many of them are ostracised by their religious communities, especially the Pentacostal/Charismatic churches that believe in miracle healings and prosperity preaching, because they have no explanations and no support for the families. All they will say is stuff like "God will never burden you with more than you can handle" (which is precious little help the 6th night in a row you've been kept up by a screaming, hyperactive child, with no respite).

The false hope that these parents get is dreadful too - I knew a 30 year old man with a heart condition and Down's Syndrome who had been taken to Lourdes every year of his life, and every year, he genuinely believed if he had enough faith, he'd be healed. It's monstrous! I've seen parents weeping and crying to God to save their sick child, only for the child to die, and then feel responsible because they didn't have enough faith.

Meanwhile, churches complain about having to install disabled access and treat disability and sickness as a curse.
"It is not power that corrupts but fear," Aung San Suu Kyi, Burmese Opposition leader

"I refuse to fight a battle of wits with an unarmed man," Oscar Wilde.

Offline cppman

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • LOL WUT
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 06:57:53 PM »
I've never had an abortion but I have a disabled child (who happens to be the third child). The church's abysmal treatment of me, because I had the temerity to have a disabled child, was probably a bigger reason for my leaving than my loss of faith, or my subsequent coming out as gay. The latter two situations I could blame on myself, but I knew I had nothing whatsoever to do with my child being born autistic (I've never had an abortion FYI).

I've often wondered if these people are so terrified of disability, they have to make up that sort of cr*p to reassure themselves it couldn't happen to them.

It's just so awful when you meet religious parents at parents support groups, and they are just torturing themselves with "Why did God do this to my child? What sin have I committed?" Many of them are ostracised by their religious communities, especially the Pentacostal/Charismatic churches that believe in miracle healings and prosperity preaching, because they have no explanations and no support for the families. All they will say is stuff like "God will never burden you with more than you can handle" (which is precious little help the 6th night in a row you've been kept up by a screaming, hyperactive child, with no respite).

The false hope that these parents get is dreadful too - I knew a 30 year old man with a heart condition and Down's Syndrome who had been taken to Lourdes every year of his life, and every year, he genuinely believed if he had enough faith, he'd be healed. It's monstrous! I've seen parents weeping and crying to God to save their sick child, only for the child to die, and then feel responsible because they didn't have enough faith.

Meanwhile, churches complain about having to install disabled access and treat disability and sickness as a curse.
Very well put.

I can't believe this delegate would even have the audacity to say what he did. I mean, seriously, I can't believe it. He literally called all disabled people a "punishment" to their parent(s). First of all, he took the wrong approach by bringing God into the picture. Using "God will punish you" (Appeal to the Stick) is by no means evidence to support his idea of removing funding for Planned Parenthood. Second of all, he attacked the wrong person - it is not the child's fault if he comes out disabled.

But hey, what else is new? This is just your typical republican speaking his mind.

Offline Jill

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 09:48:09 PM »
"vengence on the children"

He's not even suggesting punishment on the parent but on the child.

Okay so I'd ask this guy and any of the "prominent religious leaders" who signed this petition.

You've got two kids with the same severe disability.
One's mom had an abortion years earlier.
The other one's mom did not.

So as a Christian - they can look at the one and see him as a "punished" child and the other one as a "blessing"?   With the same $#*()#$ disability?

What sorry sons-of-bitches.

I'd also be curious to see if he has any supporting stats for his claim that: "The number of children who are born subsequent to a first abortion with handicaps has increased dramatically."

I'm sure he does not.  I'm sure he just pulled that one out of his butt.

Offline Narrow Mullen

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • but not Narrow Minded
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 10:45:52 PM »
I think there was a message from the mailbag which may be an appropriate response to Mr. Bob Marshall.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyoooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! prick
"Oh, I'll have a slice of heaven, a side of personal guidance, but no Leviticus today, I like my shrimp. Now, I've accepted Jesus, do you accept Master Card?"

Offline jsmacks

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 10:56:31 PM »
RICHMOND — State Delegate Bob Marshall of Manassas says disabled children are God's punishment to women who have aborted their first pregnancy.

He made that statement Thursday at a press conference to oppose state funding for Planned Parenthood.

"The number of children who are born subsequent to a first abortion with handicaps has increased dramatically. Why? Because when you abort the first born of any, nature takes its vengeance on the subsequent children," said Marshall, a Republican.

"In the Old Testament, the first born of every being, animal and man, was dedicated to the Lord. There's a special punishment Christians would suggest."

Marshall was among more than 20 people, mostly Christian pastors and clergy, who gathered for the press conference in the General Assembly Building.
http://www.newsleader.com/article/20100222/NEWS01/2220318

It is scary when someone who makes a statement as idiotic as this gets into office.  That is an insult to everybody who has a handicapped kid.  This also puts all of the blame on the parents (perhaps in some situations though, it was the parents fault).

Nobody talks about the kids who probably were better off aborted.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 09:33:30 AM »
I guess that begs the question, "What did Sarah Palin do?"
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Jill

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 10:21:07 AM »
I guess that begs the question, "What did Sarah Palin do?"

Well - probably nothing if he's in the right camp.  You know - like Limbaugh!  lol

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +337/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 10:38:11 AM »
I'm waiting for Sarah Palin to respond, since she has a disabled child. I really want to know what she'll say.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Ada-B

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • Bear Behaving Badly, CBBC
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 12:22:54 PM »
I'm waiting for Sarah Palin to respond, since she has a disabled child. I really want to know what she'll say.

-Nam

Probably that God knew she was special enough to have special baby, because after all, everyone knows that disabled babies are sent to us from heaven to teach us to be grateful for the blessings we have (I got that from Tiny Tim, in Dickens "A Christmas Carol".

Or some excuse even more vomit-inducing.

"It is not power that corrupts but fear," Aung San Suu Kyi, Burmese Opposition leader

"I refuse to fight a battle of wits with an unarmed man," Oscar Wilde.

Offline Frank

• Reader
  • Darwins +38/-20
  • You're doin' my head in!!
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 02:32:24 PM »
Back in 1999 Glenn Hoddle the then manager of the England football team, and closet god botherer, stated that disabilities were gods punishment for sins in a previous life. Within days he was fired.

Hoddle 0, Disabled 1(Hoddle o.g.)

GLENN HODDLE was sacked from his position as England coach last night after admitting a "serious error of judgment" in expressing controversial beliefs about reincarnation and the disabled.

The announcement was made by David Davies, acting chief executive of the Football Association, after days of speculation over the England coach's future. "With regret the FA and Glenn Hoddle have agreed to terminate Glenn's contract," said Mr Davies. "After more than 24 hours of meetings and discussions it became apparent to all those concerned that this was the right decision for English football." http://www.independent.co.uk/news/hoddle-0-disabled-1hoddle-og-1068292.html

People in positions of authority who blurt out religious statements as stupid the OP don't last long over here.
"Atheism is not a mission to convert the world. It only seems that way because when other religions fall away, atheism is what is left behind".

Offline pingnak

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 05:32:58 PM »
 (Deuteronomy 24:16) - "Fathers shall not be put to death for their sons, nor shall sons be put to death for their fathers; everyone shall be put to death for his own sin."

(Ezekiel 18:20) - "The person who sins will die. The son will not bear the punishment for the father’s iniquity, nor will the father bear the punishment for the son’s iniquity; the righteousness of the righteous will be upon himself, and the wickedness of the wicked will be upon himself."

Technically, nothing says anything about mother and infant, so it's A-OK for infants to be punished for the sins of their mothers.  Another fine bible loophole, like if you beat your slave and it takes three days to die, it's not murder, or if you hold a (6 year) slave's family hostage until he agrees to remain a slave, that's OK, too.

Exodus 21
 20"If a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod and he dies at his hand, he shall be punished.

21"If, however, he survives a day or two, no vengeance shall be taken; for he is his property.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +337/-85
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 10:50:18 AM »

And yet that one verse from the Bible that Republican used from Virginia seems to contradict all those things if one goes by that interpretation. This is why the Bible is fallible and not infallible.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2010, 01:36:09 PM »
Legislator: Disabled kids are God's punishment
what a vile person.  and let me guess, there is as much science supporting that piece of crap as the other fearmongering lies that abortion causes cancer.  I love how Christians are such liars.  They just don't seem to care that even their holy books says not to do that.
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2010, 01:42:30 PM »
Next thing you know they will pass a law in Virginia that women who have an abortion have to wear the letter "A" on their person.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2010, 02:17:19 PM »
Next thing you know they will pass a law in Virginia that women who have an abortion have to wear the letter "A" on their person.

well, all those who aren't associated with pious legislators. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +337/-85
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2010, 10:32:09 AM »
You know, it's been 3 days since the comment and Sarah Palin hasn't remarked at all. I guess she sees it as satire, like Rush Limbaugh, or something.

-Nam

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2010, 12:03:00 PM »
seems like neocons circle the wagons as much as Christians do. and what do you expect from a woman who named her disabled son who has Down's Syndrome, aka Trisomy 21 or Trisomy G, Trig? Awful coincidence for the boy. Add to that the claims of what's his name, the almost son-in-law about her actions toward the child, and one begins to wonder....

Things like this make me so very thankful to my parents for being the decent people they are. 

Offline ReasonIsOutToLunch

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2010, 10:09:15 PM »
You know, it's been 3 days since the comment and Sarah Palin hasn't remarked at all. I guess she sees it as satire, like Rush Limbaugh, or something.

-Nam

If Sarah Palin was smart she would have made a comment on this. But, apparently she isn't as much a rogue as she would like to think she is. I think it will cost her some support.
God, doesn't know pi.

Offline cppman

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • LOL WUT
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2010, 12:07:34 AM »
It's hypocrisy at its finest. Sarah Palin cries to Fox News about Family Guy's portrayal of Trig almost immediately after its airing, but when another republican takes a swing at all disabled children, it is somehow fine. Oh, that's right. She dare not argue someone of the same party.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +337/-85
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2010, 02:21:28 PM »
If Sarah Palin was smart she would have made a comment on this. But, apparently she isn't as much a rogue as she would like to think she is. I think it will cost her some support.

I heard on FOX Noise that they are telling or advising Sarah Palin to go to Political College based on the fact that she knows nothing about politics. I wonder, 1. is she still being paid by FOX and 2. does she have a comment on that?

-Nam

Offline ReasonIsOutToLunch

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2010, 05:49:05 PM »
^^^Maybe she will change her name to Nocomment.
God, doesn't know pi.