Author Topic: I always assumed God as imaginary [#361]  (Read 463 times)

Offline PostalGirl

• Graduate
  • Darwins +16/-0
  • Just your friendly neighborhood postal girl!
I always assumed God as imaginary [#361]
« on: September 05, 2008, 02:24:44 PM »
Hi,

People who have nothing left to loose but life, often are very thankful to have that
imaginary friend.

With that, all is said.

I think children are trained to believe in God, by making them believe in Santa.

Of course God is an invention of man, that is obvious.

First because of his awe for nature, later because of his power on nature - which is also
a delusion.

Because no one would be able to claim the title of 'God', they implemented it in a
Religion.

Religious laws are in our Western society gradually replaced by common legislation.

Problems can only emerge and be solved by science, I think everybody knows that.

I am happy with your initiative.

Keep up the 'good' work.

'Good' and 'bad' are in fact perceptive definitions, but hey, you are obviously very
aware of that.

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
Re: I always assumed God as imaginary [#361]
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 04:17:43 PM »
Thanks for the positive note!  I didn't create the videos, but in general I agree with your comments.

Unfortunately, the arrow of progress sometimes points backward.  For example, stem cell research prohibitions and efforts against both the HPV vaccines and talking against condom use in AIDS ravaged Africa as well as other places around the world.  None of these have happened due to actual ethical concerns, but have happened instead because of religious dogmas.

I think you will agree that the list of issues above is only the thin skin of the problem.

People who have dogmatic beliefs, though, will justify all sorts of horrors in the names of faith and moral purity.  Enough is enough.  I've personally been lax about this for decades, and the problems are not getting corrected by the religious people.  If they can't behave with empathy, with humility before the facts, they will get called out for such nonsense.  I'm going to be necessarily blunt, not rude, and will no longer hide behind being polite just because someone has a belief they were raised to think was true.

If you want some pointers to reference material, I'll be glad to toss some your way.  Lots of stuff out there. 

If not, that's totally understandable; unlike many subjects, the negative aspects of religion are not very 'uplifting'!   I'm no cynic, but at times these folks really seem to want me to be one!  :(
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer