Author Topic: 10 questions etc [#357]  (Read 311 times)

Offline PostalGirl

• Graduate
  • Darwins +16/-0
  • Just your friendly neighborhood postal girl!
10 questions etc [#357]
« on: September 05, 2008, 02:10:56 PM »
Hey.. Yeah, I'm a committed Christian man, 38 & living in England..

I just watched your '10 questions' on youtube AND apart from being incredibly patronising
(a modern word for 'tresspassing' so i'll forgive yours! ) it is just plain wrong..

Firstly God DOES heal amputees (my own Father witnessed such an event at a Reinhart Bonke
rally in the late 80's) and there IS evidence of Jesus' miracles~eye witness accounts,
over 500 people saw him resurrected! his crucifixion & death is the most documented event
in history!

ANYWAY.. i'm not going to go through every question (your right about Christian divorces
tho!!)
the really important point here is WHY you feel compelled to attack peoples faith.. are
you devoting the same amount of time & energy into fighting peoples beliefs in UFOs? or
ghosts? arent these delusions harming our species?
God does not give us miracles so that we can have faith.. We have faith and then recieve
healing, salvation, eternal life etc..
I'm sorry but your hearts are hard to the truth, ask God to open your eyes.. He NEVER
lets us down!
in JESUS name, [Name].
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 02:12:33 PM by PostalGirl »

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
Re: 10 questions etc [#357]
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 03:04:35 PM »
Hey.. Yeah, I'm a committed Christian man, 38 & living in England..

Great.  Maybe you should contact one of your countrymen.  He had this to say ...

Firstly God DOES heal amputees (my own Father witnessed such an event at a Reinhart Bonke
rally in the late 80's) and there IS evidence of Jesus' miracles~eye witness accounts,
over 500 people saw him resurrected! his crucifixion & death is the most documented event
in history!

... about Reinhart Bonke;

Pentecostal Churches and their Pastors are very smart. I remember my days in Secondary school. There was this German Pastor called Reinhart Bonke who cane to Cameroon and said he was able to perform Miracles. I took my elder brother who was disabled by childhood polio attack. His legs are so small and weak that it can not support his body weight because he is really big , with broad shoulders. In one quick sweep. Bonke shouted to him I command You in the name of Jesus, stand up and walk. Out of fright he used his powerful hands, tried to stand up but fell heavily and split open his head. I was told, that he (we) lack faith.

And today, we both live and work in London UK.

Even here, Pentecostal Pastors are recking Havoc on poor and desperate people. Last year a Kenyan Pastor popularly called Bishop Deya, claimed to perform Miracles and barren women, can conceive and have Miracle Babies. After investigations, it was realised that all the Miracle Babies were actually stolen from a Clinic in the suburbs of Nairobi,Kenya ( as all the Miracle babies were only delivered in Kenya not UK), with his Wife as Chief accomplice. She is still in detention in Kenya. And we have not had any instance of Miracle Babies since then. Bishop Deya applied for Asylum to thwart extradiction to Kenya.
It is a complex situation and people have used the name of Jesus Christ and Healing Power to blindfold many innocent victims.

Beware, Brothers and Sisters. Salvation is a Gift fron God. With our Good Lord there are no Quick Fixes. Pary for your Salvation.
Londoner

Posted by: Londoner | Friday, 21 July 2006 at 07:07 AM

Source: http://www.postnewsline.com/2006/07/pentecostals_wo.html

==============

My question to you is simple: What should I believe: your story, or Londoner's?
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
Re: 10 questions etc [#357]
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 03:57:46 PM »
Additionally, I'll comment on your question and also on your closing statement.

ANYWAY.. i'm not going to go through every question (your right about Christian divorces tho!!) the really important point here is WHY you feel compelled to attack peoples faith.. are you devoting the same amount of time & energy into fighting peoples beliefs in UFOs? or ghosts? arent these delusions harming our species?

Over the last couple decades, there has been a rise in religious expression in public and in politics -- not just in private or in church congregations.  As you know, not all of this expression has been positive and some of it is quite destructive.  In religious terms, it has been immoral. 

This growth in public and political expression is stronger in the USA (where I live), but has also started to rise in other English speaking countries such as your own, New Zealand, and to a lesser extent Canada and Australia.

The troubling problem is that good Christians are not speaking up much or at all about the negative aspects of this public and political revival.  Because of that, I feel personally compelled to do something to address this shortcoming including using my own freedom of speech to voice my concerns and to comment on Christianity itself -- a religion that has thrust itself into the public debate and into politics itself.

If you are active in your resistance of these negative tendencies -- to those using the cloak of Christianity for immorality including death, disease, and ignorance -- I thank you.  If you are not, I can only ask why you do not feel compelled to stand up?   

God does not give us miracles so that we can have faith.. We have faith and then recieve healing, salvation, eternal life etc.. I'm sorry but your hearts are hard to the truth, ask God to open your eyes.. He NEVER lets us down!

I have studied Christianity and a variety of other religions.  So far, I have not been told clearly why I should invest in Christianity as opposed to one of the other religions.

I am not closed minded, and can be swayed.  For example, there is a passage in Kings (1 Kings 18) that talks about how Elijah confronted the followers of Baal successfully.  This shows that it is OK if your god makes itself known clearly and unambiguously -- without faith -- while Baal did not do so.

If you do not have a copy of the Bible handy, you can look this passage up yourself using BibleGateway.com;

http://www.biblegateway.com

Here is a direct link;

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1 Kings 18;&version=31;

It may get mangled in email because the link contains spaces.  Unfortunately, I have no control over that if it happens.

If you want to talk with me directly, please feel free to come by the forums.   The thread that contains your message and my replies are located here;

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php?topic=1193.0

You can sign up for an account here;

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php?&action=register
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer