Author Topic: Atheism vs. God [#2206]  (Read 2078 times)

Offline DL

Atheism vs. God [#2206]
« on: January 12, 2010, 05:03:28 AM »

Atheism:
In the beginning there was nothing, and nothing happened to nothing, until nothing exploded, and created everything. Then, the nothing that became everything magically rearranged itself for no reason into self-replicating complex life forms, that became intelligent beings that believed in God. Makes perfect sense. LOL.

Think that over. Then come back to me, as an intelligent person, and make up some sort of rationalization or excuse about why this is fake, then walk away and never think about it again. Good fight Atheism.

Offline Blaze

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • In my eyes you will see not God, but my pupil.
Re: Atheism vs. God [#2206]
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 05:21:22 AM »
Atheism:
In the beginning there was nothing

In the beginning there was nothing? Do you really think that's what we believe?

And you actually copied that off this image:

Please try to be a bit more original. Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 05:23:36 AM by Blaze »
My signature is currently hybernating and will be updated shortly.

Your eyes are now hurting from reading that, good for you

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • Moraxella catarrhalis on BA
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 05:26:28 AM »
Think that over.

I didn't really have to.  It's not really your original material but taken from a picture found all across the internet.  Any Google image search will pull up the picture you, and I, are referring to.  The great and hilarious thing is that you actually believe this to be the thought process behind atheism and believe this to be valid.

In reality it is not valid and consists of several straw man arguments against atheism, cosmology, and biology.  Way to go... you're an idiot.
La scienze non ha nemici ma gli ignoranti.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 09:00:19 AM »
atheism: the arrogant belief that the universe was not created just for us
IE
theism: the non-arrogant belief that the entire universe was created just for us
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 09:21:24 AM »

Atheism:
In the beginning there was nothing, and nothing happened to nothing, until nothing exploded, and created everything. Then, the nothing that became everything magically rearranged itself for no reason into self-replicating complex life forms, that became intelligent beings that believed in God. Makes perfect sense. LOL.

Think that over. Then come back to me, as an intelligent person, and make up some sort of rationalization or excuse about why this is fake, then walk away and never think about it again. Good fight Atheism.

Question: Where did God come from?

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 09:30:59 AM »
Then come back to me, as an intelligent person,

..........baseless assertion,  you have presented no evidence that you are an intelligent person.   &)
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +703/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 09:34:53 AM »
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Levan

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 09:40:10 AM »
Hey, watch where you're point that finger! It better not be at my screen!

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +50/-0
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 12:20:39 PM »
Here's a word for you, OP - straw man.

But I thought it over...

Ready.

Atheism:

This sounds more like something dealing with cosmology and biology (even though neither one actually say this. Might I suggest you learn a little about the what you're attempting to put down) and has nothing whatsoever to do with not believing in god.

"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline subtleinspiration

• Fellow
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 12:44:42 PM »
Christianity:
In the beginning there was nothing, and nothing happened to nothing, until God spoke and created everything from nothing. The nothing that became everything magically arranged itself into self-replicating complex life forms that became intelligent beings that believed in God.

Yeah, like that makes perfect sense.  &)

Thank Jebus I'm not retarded enough to believe shit like that.

"As a God fearing Christian,  you should never ever date an Atheist. One night alone with an atheist is enough for you to lose your faith and to be converted into one of the spiritually dead."

Offline GotMooo

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 09:41:27 PM »
Atheism:

All atheism means is lack of belief in deities.  Atheism doesn't deal with a beginning, if there even was one.  If you don't believe there are any gods out there, that doesn't necessarily mean you believe that everything came from nothing.  Atheism is a default, as nobody believes in a god until they either are taught it, or even make their own imaginary friend to explain the unknowable.  I don't know how everything got here originally, but I believe that something has always existed, it has just changed forms endlessly.

If you believe that your God has always existed, then why couldn't the omniverse or everything have always existed?  It is true that atheism isn't firm knowledge, because we don't know for sure.  But I, and many others have found it to be more rational to withhold judgment until there is evidence.  I certainly wouldn't believe in such extraordinary claims that were written down and told by fallible men.

So what makes believing in something based off of nothing but emotion better than just staying humble and saying I don't know, but I won't accept something as true when there's nothing to show for it?

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +50/-0
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 09:46:18 PM »

OP, you've noticed by now that your message made its way onto a forum. How about coming to us. Sound good?
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline ReasonIsOutToLunch

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 01:32:32 AM »
The op doesn't seem capable of understanding the obvious fact that atheism isn't in opposition to anything.
God, doesn't know pi.

Offline Grogan

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
    • I Deny God
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2010, 06:50:55 AM »

Question: Where did God come from?

I just want you to know that I love theist Mailbag posts, if only to read your simple, elegant, and contrite replies.
Quote from: kenn
You want to understand God and the world around you through science and logic alone and, because you cannot come up with a "reasonable" explanation for what they ate when leaving the ark, you dismiss it.

Offline C

• Graduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • Counter-Theist Taskforce
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2010, 04:19:30 PM »

You sir, fail.
The Second C

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2010, 04:56:16 PM »

You sir, fail.

just one thing: Darwin was no atheist
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

Offline Levan

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2010, 09:07:44 PM »
I know that Darwin WAS a Christian for a while, then quit. I don't know much more about his religious views.

Einstein wasn't exactly an atheist - more of a pantheist.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2010, 03:42:24 AM »
I know that Darwin WAS a Christian for a while, then quit. I don't know much more about his religious views.

Einstein wasn't exactly an atheist - more of a pantheist.

dunno about einstein but i dont think darwin ever quit being a christian because of how "evil" atheists were considered to be at the time
We choose our own gods.

Offline GetMeThere

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2010, 04:35:36 AM »
dunno about einstein but i dont think darwin ever quit being a christian because of how "evil" atheists were considered to be at the time

Darwin described himself as an agnostic rather than an atheist...but in his day, an atheist would have been considered someone who today would be a gnostic atheist.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2010, 04:46:41 AM »

Darwin described himself as an agnostic rather than an atheist...but in his day, an atheist would have been considered someone who today would be a gnostic atheist.

didnt know that. in biology our teacher showed us a video which said "darwin was no atheist"
We choose our own gods.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +703/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2010, 10:26:13 AM »
didnt know that. in biology our teacher showed us a video which said "darwin was no atheist"

That was just to trick the xians into not rejecting evolution out of hand.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2010, 08:02:37 AM »
Nice strawman.

Do your research, you might come off as less foolish.

Also...the God belief is that God always existed and was able to magically create something from nothing.

What I tend to argue is that perhaps matter has always existed (as far as I am aware, this only exists as a hypothesis). Thus there's no "something came from nothing" argument, at the current point we don't know where matter came from, if it indeed came from anywhere. It's just scientists can look as far back as the big bang. We simply don't know anything about the Universe before that point, therefore, it's actually difficult that the Universe came from nothing, but this is what creationists use as a strawman for some reason.

What's even more foolish is that you've labelled it atheism...it's not, it's the Big Bang Theory, a scientific theory in NO way connected with atheism. Atheism is the disbelief in any deities. The Big Bang Theory is accepted by some Christians and other kind of theists, arguments such as the cosmological argument can exist alongside the Big Bang Theory, because to them, God is the 'unmoved mover and uncaused causer', thus the big bang would be the first 'cause' or first 'move'.

Pick up a book, talk to atheists about what they believe, read up on the science before you think you can make any contradicting points. Without that, you're relying on strawmen arguments made by creationists. Creationists very rarely have a clue about scientific arguments, because they can't be bothered to learn about it properly. Never listen to a creationist who starts talking about how science works, because you'll quite likely find that they're talking a load of rubbish.
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +120/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2010, 01:47:01 PM »
You theists are the ones that think god came out of nothing, and created the universe from nothing.

Also that man is made from mud, woman came from his rib and that there was a talking snake, talking asses, and a human like creature that did all this.

In short, your argument is nothing, comes from nothing and retains it's value as nothing.
Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.  Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Cypher

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Musician by nature, Skeptic by trade
    • Myspace
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2010, 08:45:07 PM »
In short, your argument is nothing, comes from nothing and retains it's value as nothing.

that is now going to be my signature =]

Offline ShadeofGray

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2010, 10:36:25 PM »
What's even more foolish is that you've labelled it atheism...it's not, it's the Big Bang Theory, a scientific theory in NO way connected with atheism. Atheism is the disbelief in any deities. The Big Bang Theory is accepted by some Christians and other kind of theists

Seppuku, do you think that the OP realizes that the Big Bang Theory was initially proposed by a catholic priest, George LeMaitre?

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2010, 10:38:06 PM »
I don't have proof, but I think Father LeMaitre, was Catholic in name only. In anycase it seems he spent a lot more time in scientific pursuit than in the saving of souls, oh wait....
God, doesn't know pi.

Offline knot

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Just a little bit to your right.
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2010, 11:01:05 PM »

Could Earth just be a Petri dish from some unknown anomaly?

If so then this Petri dish is at a fast pace to nothing. Lets just go with the destruction of our: water, air, food, land and life on earth.

There is too many to list but those are the very, very basics.

We know what is right and wrong.
 Do we even care or are the wants worth more than the annihilation of mankind.
 Needs are in another category!
The truth is the most important thing that there is, yet it is the least popular thing on Earth. And, obviously, this discrepancy is not by chance, but rather, by design-the truth is being actively suppressed.
In A Time Of Universal Deceit, Telling The Truth Becomes A Revolutionary Act George Orwel

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2010, 12:43:56 AM »
Knot,

Your post is eerie. I posted this over at the atheist think tank just a couple hours ago.

Earth the galaxies largest petri dish?
God, doesn't know pi.

Offline knot

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Just a little bit to your right.
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2010, 12:47:25 AM »

I did not read that thread but it is a thought and a conundrum of the anomaly that we all live in .
The truth is the most important thing that there is, yet it is the least popular thing on Earth. And, obviously, this discrepancy is not by chance, but rather, by design-the truth is being actively suppressed.
In A Time Of Universal Deceit, Telling The Truth Becomes A Revolutionary Act George Orwel