Author Topic: Youtube round-up...  (Read 9357 times)

Offline JustAGuy

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
Youtube round-up...
« on: September 05, 2008, 10:27:27 AM »
Who are your most and least favorite religious commentators on youtube?

Most Favorite
1) A few who will remain anonymous because I don't think they'd like the attention
2) PatCondell (though I do not agree with some of his opinions outside of religion)
3) Cristofer7 (though I do not agree with some of his opinions outside of religion)
4) EdwardCurrent
5) Theoretical Bulls**t (I've only watched one video, but it was very good)

Least Favorite
1) revivalisneeded (pretty sure he is the street preacher in some of his videos -- total asshole)
2) YokeUp (this requires no explanation)
3) Naomi94 (atheist who deleted a harmless comment for no reason)
(I don't watch enough of the idiots to have more than three that I know enough about to dislike)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 04:00:39 PM by JustAGuy »

Offline JustAGuy

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
Re: Youtube round-up...
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 02:17:33 PM »
bump because I'm sure there's something interesting on YT that I've not seen :)

Offline myst32

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • All thought is metaphor.. All perception is gamble
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 03:34:41 PM »
My 2 favorites..
http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=AronRa <- kicks ass!
http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=Thunderf00t

also..

patcondell
cdk007
seenandnotseen
gisburne2000
Theologikos
theabortedsoul
"You just sit there and assume you have all the answers. We will do the real work and actually look for them."
- A.C. Chase

Offline CosmicScherzo

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • What would Jesus brew?
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 08:12:30 PM »
Thunderf00t is brilliant.
"What claim has your piety on my deference?"

Offline Cyberia

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +35/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 10:10:13 PM »
(In addition to the mentioned ones) Good:

TheAmazingAtheist
DonExodus2
cdk007

Bad:

VenomFangX
Soon we will judge angels.

Offline Alkan

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Mt. Lemmon, AZ. Challenging, but wondrous ride.
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 11:33:56 PM »
I don't like any of them!

One's trying to prove the other wrong when there's truth, of different kinds, on both sides.

Science has the physical and literal truth. Religion has the meaningful truth, or at least some of it...

Offline CosmicScherzo

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • What would Jesus brew?
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 02:17:42 AM »
How are there different kinds of truth?  Something is true, or it's not.
"What claim has your piety on my deference?"

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 08:31:49 AM »
List has been moved to make it easier to find;

Click here for the new list!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 08:15:34 AM by Hermes »
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 08:39:58 AM »
Edit complete: Feel free to paste in to OP.
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline JustAGuy

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2008, 09:38:33 AM »
Regarding TAA, I think he's good except when he talks with his brother because those videos are just typical youtube videos... ung! I fuck pussy and dootdeedootdeedoo I like pizza and Star Wars dootdeedootdeedoo.  He's got the right to do that, of course, but I feel like the dumb ones can be held up by Christians and allow them to say, "See. That's what this guy is about.  He's stupid, so don't even bother looking at his other videos."

I like most of his videos though... like "JESUS: The Super Zombie Myth".

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2008, 10:27:18 AM »
Regarding TAA, I think he's good except when he talks with his brother because those videos are just typical youtube videos... ung! I f**k pussy and dootdeedootdeedoo I like pizza and Star Wars dootdeedootdeedoo.  He's got the right to do that, of course, but I feel like the dumb ones can be held up by Christians and allow them to say, "See. That's what this guy is about.  He's stupid, so don't even bother looking at his other videos."

I like most of his videos though... like "JESUS: The Super Zombie Myth".

He's had some classics.  I can't find the one where he shows how to deal with pesky fundamentalists.  It goes like this;

TAA: Is it wrong when God killed people? 
Fund: "No, God can do what he likes!  He's GOD!" 
TAA: So, it's not a sin if god does it?
Fund: "Nope!"
TAA: So, if Jesus wanted to have homosexual sex, that would mean homosexual sex would not be a sin for Jesus?
Fund: "WHAT?  Are you nuts?  God wouldn't want to do that!"
TAA: Then, why did god want to kill all those people and that's OK but homosexuality is not?
Fund: "You're a sick SOB ... I hope you burn in Hell!"

The reason why I bumped him down was that he did not act entirely ethically when talking with DonExodus2.  You can see the back-and-forth between them if you want to judge for yourself.  DE2 does seem to be clinging to Christianity for muddled reasons, but I see him as being honest and thoughtful and otherwise entirely reasonable, so can't ding him for that.   Corrections appreciated.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 10:29:58 AM by Hermes »

Offline JustAGuy

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2008, 11:49:17 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/user/revivalisneeded (street preacher in his videos? an A$$.)

Wow.. maybe he's watching us.  He just posted a video that... you know... maybe not logically sane... but at least he keeps his cool and isn't running around with a megaphone yelling his head off:

Compare that to this, which is about on par with Jesus Camp when it comes to how shocking the demeanor is...

And then he tells some Mormon family that their dad is a demon and that the daughter should not wear jeans (never heard that one before???):
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 11:55:57 AM by JustAGuy »

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2008, 12:05:37 PM »
I haven't seen any of his stuff.  I just shortened the comment from the OP.  A few minutes of 'Way of the Master' is enough for a lifetime.

Offline Cyberia

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +35/-0
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2008, 04:43:17 AM »
Soon we will judge angels.

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2008, 05:19:03 AM »
Travesty corrected!

Offline Star Stuff

• Darwins +146/-2
  • Carbon-based life form.
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2008, 05:41:24 PM »
Most of my fav's have already been mentioned.   But........

http://www.youtube.com/user/MakeCakeNotWar

I really like this "Listen to the Scientists" series:

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?p=r&user=hoffmanallison&page=6

God is an Imaginary Friend for Grown-ups

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2008, 08:34:44 AM »
Added;

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheDoubtingApproach    [ New! ]

Only a few videos, but looks very promising.  Good stuff so far.

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2008, 08:38:05 AM »
If you are a fan of the Austin Texas based The Atheist Experience TV show, you'll like ...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Mattmon2   [ New! ]

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2008, 01:50:39 PM »
Atheist or not ... naturally inspiring;

http://www.youtube.com/user/beautyintheuniverse

Offline Deus ex Machina

• Fellow
  • Darwins +23/-3
  • non-cdesign-proponentsist
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2008, 02:33:46 PM »
TAA completely turns me off. cdk007 and DonExodus2 rock. AronRa is okay though his dialogue annoys me as it's a very rushed monotone. Mr. patcondell is always entertaining. potholer54 deserves an honourable mention. AndromedasWake is one to watch. Can't think of any others that really strike me at the moment.
No day in which you learn something is wasted.

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2008, 02:56:57 PM »
TAA completely turns me off. cdk007 and DonExodus2 rock. AronRa is okay though his dialogue annoys me as it's a very rushed monotone. Mr. patcondell is always entertaining. potholer54 deserves an honourable mention. AndromedasWake is one to watch. Can't think of any others that really strike me at the moment.

Added...I think everyone else is on the list.

http://www.youtube.com/user/AndromedasWake  [ New! ]

Offline HonestDiscussioner

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2008, 11:05:52 PM »
Good:
Without question, Potholer54.  Sure, Thunderfoot wins by sheer volume, but video for video, Potholer's are more succinct and deal directly with explaning scientific information for the layperson.  He does deal with religion in disproving creationism.

Though he's loud, I like The Amazing Atheist.  Sure, he goes to far some times, but most of the time the rest of the world doesn't go far enough.  He makes some very good points, and is often very funny.

Also, KingHeathen and Agnosticman both give great philosophical arugments against religion.  They should, since like me they are both former fundies.

Bad:
Obviously VenomFangX, despite his recent "turn around" in light of the purjury scandal.  He blatantly has lied to people while professing Christian values.  Hypocrite.

Nephilumfree . . . really makes me think he enjoys molesting children.  I'm sure he doesn't . . . he just looks like he does.  Also acts so superior and arrogant.

Jezuzfreek: I'm not too confident putting him down here.  He pisses me off, because every last one of his arguments can be boiled down to "because the Bible says so".  He never gives a reason WHY we should believe in the Bible, besides saying "it's God's word", which he never says WHY we should think it is God's word.

On the plus side, he doesn't censor, and at least is consistent with his beliefs for the most part.  He sticks to his story, unlike Venom.  He isn't a hypocrite, he's just the epitome of a Bible thumper.

Then there is Yokeup.  Take the Bible thumping of JF, the slimy nature of Venom, and the creepyness of Nephilumfree, and you get Yokeup.  He's just awful, bigoted, and is the epitome of everything bad with Christianity.

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2008, 11:32:26 PM »

Offline JustAGuy

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2008, 03:02:56 AM »
Watched some of cdk007's videos.  He needs to stick to arguing against Creationists -- the bottom rung of society. 

He has a rather cavalier attitude when it comes to analyzing more complicated issues, specifically politics.  Most people say stupid things when it comes to politics, but when you're a PhD, you are expected to have an elevated level of intellectual integrity if you want to be taken seriously.  Otherwise, you throw away all the hard work required in attaining the doctorate.

Most people overestimate their intellectual prowess, not even realizing that they do it.  If cdk007 were forced to debate someone who knows their politics to at least some degree, such as perhaps Chomsky, he would quickly find himself humiliated.

"Democrats want to put the government back into the hands of you, the people"... war has been severely opposed for several years now... Democratic Congress, elected by those who believed they'd end the war... still no end in sight.

"Democrats, like our founding fathers, believe in a balance of power"... How's impeachment coming along?  Oh, wait... Pelosi says it's off the table?  Oh, my!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 03:14:36 AM by JustAGuy »

Offline Deus ex Machina

• Fellow
  • Darwins +23/-3
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2008, 03:47:17 AM »
Being British, I just ignored cdk007's political videos. He's on the money with his biology, though.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 03:49:08 AM by Deus ex Machina »

Offline Deus ex Machina

• Fellow
  • Darwins +23/-3
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2008, 03:48:34 AM »
Sure, he {TheAmazingAtheist} goes to far some times

His attack on DonExodus2 was completely beyond the Pale IMO.

Offline ksm

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2008, 04:52:16 AM »
It must be something to do with my age and how busy I am but I never watch or seek out any of these videos on Youtube at all.

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2008, 06:52:07 AM »
HonestDiscussioner on YouTube dropped us a note through the forum mailbox, so I think I'd give his channel a plug here and add it to the list of atheist channels;

http://www.youtube.com/user/HonestDiscussioner  [ New! ]

Only 1 video so far, but it's brand new and looks like a good start!

Philosophical Proofs: Paradox of Religion (Part 1)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fphCXgyS8Ck[/youtube]

Offline Star Stuff

• Darwins +146/-2
  • Carbon-based life form.
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2008, 11:37:53 AM »
HonestDiscussioner's first effort is ok, but I found it highly annoying that he felt the need to use a different graphic/image for nearly every word.
God is an Imaginary Friend for Grown-ups