Author Topic: Response to the claim "God is Imaginary"  (Read 9258 times)

Offline Superbob092

• Novice
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Re: Response to the claim "God is Imaginary"
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2014, 08:48:32 PM »
I also believe in God, but I have to say, based on the things you write here, you seem like an idiot. You have clearly misinterpreted the Bible if you believe God would want to kill anyone. He doesn't want to kill anyone, for he is a MERCIFUL, not "vengeful" God. Now, to anyone saying God does not exist because you don't have any proof, you just are too stupid to see the proof. It's literally all around you. When a lion kills a zebra for food, it does not feel bad about it, it just kills and eats. However, when we kill another human, we know it's wrong and feel bad about doing it, which is why most of us choose not to kill. The fact that we feel bad when we hurt another, THAT is proof of the Holy Spirit, that is proof of God. The fact that when we look at the sunset or a waterfall or a clear, starry night sky we think "Wow. That's beautiful" is proof of God. The fact that all the conditions on this planet are perfect for us to live here is proof of God. You could say that it is just a coincidence, but there's a time where there are so many coincidences where it stops being a coincidence, and becomes a miracle. It is proof of God

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +566/-18
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2014, 09:33:33 PM »
This topic hasn't been posted in for over three years.

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2014, 10:58:03 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Superbob.

Commenting on a thread that's more than a few weeks old is considered "necromancy" and discouraged. By that time, if no one's contributed to it, most of us consider it finished one way or another and have moved on to something more recent. Feel free to comment on one of the currently active threads.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +325/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2014, 12:54:02 AM »
This topic hasn't been posted in for over three years.

No one's fault but admins for not locking old topics. I know there's a lot of them but most who necromance are new members.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline The Voice

• Novice
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2014, 05:34:32 PM »
I would like to respond to the whole issue of the subject matter. That being, whether God exists or not and why HE doesn't do this or that. It has nothing to do with whether or not He is imaginary or that He or Jesus is a liar for there is one thing that GOD cannot do, He is incapable of lying.  This too is scripture! All  of your so-called scientific studies and information may be accurate and even your argument logical but God transcends "All" logic. Those thousands of people gathered together to pray for a certain event to happen without results; to a true believer and child of God, it is merely a test for God to prove He exists. Sorry but God doesn't perform His miracles on test surveys. His words are if you expect to receive anything from Him you must first believe HE IS! Start there! Then you have to have an understanding of the difference between HOPE, Faith and just wishing  real hard. HOPE itself is a real function but by itself is empty. Take that statement and use it to examine however million people you want to pray hoping God heard you. As for amputees, I will admit I have never heard of any actual event other than the ones Jesus performed while he was here. However I know that He created a few creatures who do it quite often...imagine that! The lizard that grows his tail back and the shark whose teeth continue to replace themselves. Give your credit to evolution and you will never know the true God who considers every living thing and not just people! As for never seeing it happen to a human person, I ask you to be honest in your consideration,1.if you don't really believe God exists why ask Him for anything? 2.if you only hope God hears your prayers how long, does He get, to answer? What time frame satisfies YOU! If a cure for cancer is found say tomorrow, would scientist get the credit, or would you say God answered your/our prayers? God exists whether you choose to believe it or not. He doesn't have to prove Himself to you or me or anyone else. He never had to send His son to die for yours and my ignorance. To believe in God is always and will always be a choice. I suggest you start with something simple like just saying Thank You for you existence and acknowledge that, before you get into asking for cures for cancer. Now then you don't have to take my word for it either and yet "I am"a real person too, but a lot of time and labor is and has been spent to find the cure for cancer and even cloning for making human parts. In that, simply consider it being worked on but not so scientist can claim to be GOD for their wisdom comes from Him to start with silly wabbit! Perhaps your god isn't God at all only who you conceive him to be. Mine isn't some genie that just grants three wishes at my command. Think bigger! The doubt you are having and creating is not the cure, it too, is much like that cancer you can't find the cure for and you are spreading it further. Reply and I will tell you more. The Voice has spoken!!!!

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +772/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2014, 05:57:50 PM »
Welcome The Voice.

You could go a long way towards assuring us that there is a god by first praying that he will teach you about how to use paragraphs. We would be impressed.

When a god who feels no pressure to prove his existence behaves exactly as a non-existent god would behave, we atheists tend to jump the gun and assume the latter. Or, you guys jump the gun and assume the former.

As one who never prays, who never expects results from non-prayer, and as one who sees all events as natural and without supernatural intervention, nothing within my purview seems to require a god-based explanation. Neither kindness nor cruelty confounds me. No event, either wonderful or tragic, has ever seemed impossible before hand. Stuff happens. No god is required. And I've no idea how people convince themselves otherwise.

When my father was dying of cancer, not once did I pray for him to get better. Others did, I assume. But not me. If there is a god, I assume he knew what he was doing. If there isn't, it would have been a waste of my time.

I was just thinking the other day. I am almost 63. I have 12 first cousins and two brothers. The youngest of us is 54. All of us are still alive. All of our children are still alive. All of the grandchildren are still alive. None of us has even been seriously injured, none of us has ever had cancer or a heart attack. None of us has been victim to a serious crime. And most of us are atheists. And the ones that aren't do go to church anyway.

What are we doing wrong? What are we missing? Who should we hate to have a normal, horror filled, jesus loving life? Where is our fear-laden inspiration to turn to your god?

I am a calm, peaceful person who understands that life has so many variables that religion is an inevitable outcome of certain social conditions. I understand that many people want an outside force to influence them. I understand that people create needs that cannot be met by life alone, and that the imaginary often does a better job than reality, when a false positive outlook is preferred over whatever is real. So I don't blame people for being religious.

I do blame them for being afraid of the right questions, though.

Added: Sorry everyone. I didn't realize this was a dead thread. If The Voice wishes to continue this discussion, I'll start a new thread that includes his initial post or something.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 06:03:37 PM by ParkingPlaces »
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +191/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2014, 05:58:59 PM »
Wow, lots of claims, not a shred of evidence, aside from a book about the Jewish people and magic written 2000 years ago.

No need to tell any of us anything more, we got it now.
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +325/-84
« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2014, 07:26:51 PM »
I would like to respond to the whole issue of the subject matter.

I highly doubt that.

That being, whether God exists or not and why HE doesn't do this or that. It has nothing to do with whether or not He is imaginary or that He or Jesus is a liar for there is one thing that GOD cannot do, He is incapable of lying.

How can something that is irrelevant as to whether it exists or not be capable of anything?

This too is scripture!

So? That automatically makes it true because some book says so? Thst's asinine.

All  of your so-called scientific studies and information may be accurate and even your argument logical but God transcends "All" logic.

Fictional things, or things people tend to have no evidence for, seem to be able to do anything their crestor[1] say they can. Doesn't make it reality.

Those thousands of people gathered together to pray for a certain event to happen without results; to a true believer and child of God, it is merely a test for God to prove He exists. Sorry but God doesn't perform His miracles on test surveys. His words are if you expect to receive anything from Him you must first believe HE IS! Start there!

That's the problem you, and others have. You're told to believe something based on faith, therefore it must be true because evidence would show (and ultimately does show) it doesn't, or mostly probable that it does not exist and therefore reality is wrong. That's asinine.

Then you have to have an understanding of the difference between HOPE, Faith and just wishing  real hard. HOPE itself is a real function but by itself is empty. Take that statement and use it to examine however million people you want to pray hoping God heard you. As for amputees, I will admit I have never heard of any actual event other than the ones Jesus performed while he was here. However I know that He created a few creatures who do it quite often...imagine that! The lizard that grows his tail back and the shark whose teeth continue to replace themselves. Give your credit to evolution and you will never know the true God who considers every living thing and not just people!

I think you mean: every living thing BUT people. Why the lizard and not the human? Does the lizard pray? Will it go to heaven? The fact you link the two as being rational shows you're not rational and neither is your god.

As for never seeing it happen to a human person, I ask you to be honest in your consideration,1.if you don't really believe God exists why ask Him for anything? 2.if you only hope God hears your prayers how long, does He get, to answer? What time frame satisfies YOU! If a cure for cancer is found say tomorrow, would scientist get the credit, or would you say God answered your/our prayers?

Analogies escape you, don't they? Devil's Advocate, too?

God exists whether you choose to believe it or not. He doesn't have to prove Himself to you or me or anyone else. He never had to send His son to die for yours and my ignorance. To believe in God is always and will always be a choice. I suggest you start with something simple like just saying Thank You for you existence and acknowledge that, before you get into asking for cures for cancer.

Asinine.

Now then you don't have to take my word for it either and yet "I am"a real person too, but a lot of time and labor is and has been spent to find the cure for cancer and even cloning for making human parts. In that, simply consider it being worked on but not so scientist can claim to be GOD for their wisdom comes from Him to start with silly wabbit! Perhaps your god isn't God at all only who you conceive him to be.

Atheists do not have gods that's why we're called atheists.

Mine isn't some genie that just grants three wishes at my command. Think bigger! The doubt you are having and creating is not the cure, it too, is much like that cancer you can't find the cure for and you are spreading it further. Reply and I will tell you more. The Voice has spoken!!!!

A genie would make more sense.

-Nam
 1. theists
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +534/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2014, 07:52:25 PM »
I would like to respond to the whole issue of the subject matter. That being, whether God exists or not and why HE doesn't do this or that. It has nothing to do with whether or not He is imaginary or that He or Jesus is a liar for there is one thing that GOD cannot do, He is incapable of lying. This too is scripture!
Like so many who call themselves Christian, you have never even bothered to read the Bible to find out what sort of god you are worshipping:

God Tells Lies
1 Kings 22:19-24 And he said, Hear thou therefore the word of the LORD: I saw the LORD sitting on his throne, and all the host of heaven standing by him on his right hand and on his left.

And the LORD said, Who shall persuade Ahab, that he may go up and fall at Ramothgilead? And one said on this manner, and another said on that manner.  And there came forth a spirit, and stood before the LORD, and said, I will persuade him.

And the LORD said unto him, Wherewith? And he said, I will go forth, and I will be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets. And he said, Thou shalt persuade [him], and prevail also: go forth, and do so.  Now therefore, behold, the LORD hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of all these thy prophets, and the LORD hath spoken evil concerning thee. 

Jeremiah 4:10
    Ah, Lord GOD! surely thou hast greatly deceived this people.

Jeremiah 20:7
    O Lord, thou hast deceived me, and I was deceived.

2 Thessalonians 2:11
    For this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie.

2 Chronicles 18:22
    Now therefore, behold, the Lord hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of these thy prophets.

Ezekiel 14:9
    And if a prophet be deceived when he hath spoken a thing, I the Lord have deceived that prophet.

You may wish to apologise for being wrong.

Sorry but God doesn't perform His miracles on test surveys.
Sorry, read Judges:6

His words are if you expect to receive anything from Him you must first believe HE IS! Start there! Then you have to have an understanding of the difference between HOPE, Faith and just wishing  real hard.
You could start by wishing to understand your god a little better.
As for amputees, I will admit I have never heard of any actual event other than the ones Jesus performed while he was here. However I know that He created a few creatures who do it quite often...imagine that! The lizard that grows his tail back and the shark whose teeth continue to replace themselves.
So, your god loves lizards more than mankind... interesting.

Basically, you seem to be saying that, without any evidence at all, other than what people have told you, you really do not know if there is a god or not.

Tell me, why do Hindus say you are deluded and that their gods are the real ones? I don't think your god exists for the same reason that you don't think their gods exist.
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +325/-84
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2014, 09:21:07 PM »
You don't believe hindu gods exist because the Bible tells you they don't? Because that's his reasons as to why they do not.

-Nam

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +267/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #68 on: March 29, 2014, 12:06:52 AM »
His words are if you expect to receive anything from Him you must first believe HE IS! Start there!

I can't just believe -- My brain simply doesn't work that way.  I require evidence in the form of an encounter with a god, in a physical body in the real world.

If a cure for cancer is found say tomorrow, would scientist get the credit, or would you say God answered your/our prayers?

I'd almost certainly give the credit to scientists.  I work in medicine and have a family member who works in cancer research.  I've never prayed for a cure for cancer, nor for any other disease.

To believe in God is always and will always be a choice.

Not for Me, it isn't.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline shaheen

• Novice
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2014, 05:56:39 PM »
Hi dear all,

Just read these links and then comment:

Quran with English translation:

https://www.alislam.org/quran/search2/

challenge by doctor Zakir Naik:

Kind regards

Shaheen

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +772/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2014, 06:19:50 PM »
Welcome Shaheen.

Anaxagoras, of Athens, was imprisoned a thousand years before your religion even started for saying that the moon reflected the light of the sun. Because he was also saying that the sun was not a god. Science wasn't popular among theists then either. You guys sure are stubborn.

But it was not a muslim discovery. It was not your allah telling us this.

However, if you can't accept the possibility of a universe without an intelligent inventor/designer/egocentric deity, your certainly not going to let facts get in the way anyhow.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +325/-84
« Reply #71 on: April 16, 2014, 04:56:16 AM »
Welcome Shaheen.

Anaxagoras, of Athens, was imprisoned a thousand years before your religion even started for saying that the moon reflected the light of the sun. Because he was also saying that the sun was not a god. Science wasn't popular among theists then either. You guys sure are stubborn.

But it was not a muslim discovery. It was not your allah telling us this.

However, if you can't accept the possibility of a universe without an intelligent inventor/designer/egocentric deity, your certainly not going to let facts get in the way anyhow.

Don't bother, they're a spammer. All their comments is exactly like the one above. I reported them.

-Nam