Poll

What do you think of this?

It's real!
11 (91.7%)
It's real!
1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: Amputee healings in Lakeland?  (Read 2125 times)

Offline kierkegaardneedshelp

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
Amputee healings in Lakeland?
« on: September 04, 2008, 10:27:43 PM »

Offline Evolutions Golden Toad

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Resident Behavioral Ecologist and Herpetologist
Re: Amputee healings in Lakeland?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 11:12:49 PM »

These things are always shams... have you noticed they never, ever do any follow up?
While progress the progress of science owes much to such admirable human traits as intelligence, creativity, perseverance, and precision, it is also retarded by equally human but less admirable characteristics such as prejudice, jealousy, short-sightedness, and stupidity~Biogeography textbook

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 12:26:48 AM »
Is that what Benny Hinn does to?  Why aren't these people revealed as frauds??  How can they continue???

Offline Evolutions Golden Toad

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Resident Behavioral Ecologist and Herpetologist
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 01:31:41 AM »
Is that what Benny Hinn does to?  Why aren't these people revealed as frauds??  How can they continue???

Benny Hinn was indeed revealed as a fraud. By James Randi. 

The reason they continue is because

A) it is hard to prove that they dont believe their own bullshit, and intent to defraud is part of getting them convicted.
B) If they used an audience plant no one is going to come forward and say they scammed a church
C)The congregation has invested a lot in the church, in terms of time, money, emotion, so that when it does come out that their pastor was playing them for suckers (literally in the case of catholic priests and the local prepubescent population), they cant face the reality of it, and in the sand their head goes.

I will only be impressed when they can do this under clinical conditions.
While progress the progress of science owes much to such admirable human traits as intelligence, creativity, perseverance, and precision, it is also retarded by equally human but less admirable characteristics such as prejudice, jealousy, short-sightedness, and stupidity~Biogeography textbook

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 06:04:48 PM »
Hmm, not quite convinced, as to A) at least, these people seem to genuinely believe in what they're doing, or am I wrong?

As to B), I am confused by this as well ... why can't anyone get into the organization with the intention of revealing it for what it is ...?  How could anyone stop them?  I mean, all you would need was one person, wouldn't you?  Has anyone done that?  There could be a lot of money to be made there, potentially, I'm thinking like lawsuits against someone like Hinn..

Offline Vynn

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • 1st an infidel, then a heretic, now an atheist!
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 09:17:04 PM »
1. People can "genuinely believe" what they are doing, and be wrong.
2. Unexplained phenomenon do not "prove" any god.
3. If actual miracles began to happen when a particular god was prayed to, it would be verifiable and testable, and thus the processes would enter into the realm of science. (From what god-believers tell me, this would invalidate "faith" making it of "no effect". -- Though certainly those same folks can't explain the episode with Doubting Thomas?!)
4. In the case of biblegod, he/it may be invalidated by simply reviewing the bible and it's contradictory statements.
5. I did not see proof of any "miracles" in that video.

Offline jedweber

• Fellow
  • Darwins +19/-0
  • Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 01:37:50 PM »
Todd Bentley is now on an indefinite "leave of absence" because he was caught cheating on his wife:
Fallen minister
B.C. evangelist caught cheating on his wife takes time out from his unorthodox faith healing
http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news/story.html?id=3413e279-9259-432f-8d09-e4f21119e650

Bentley also touts his prison record to present himself as a reformed "bad boy" saved by Jesus. Turns out one of his past crimes was sexually abusing a 7-year-old boy:

His skeptics learned of a terrible incident. In 1991, Bentley, then 15, was convicted of sexual assaulting a 7-year-old B.C. boy. Confronted with the facts, Bentley consented to a discussion of his conviction. "I was involved in a sexual assault ring," he told The Report news magazine, now defunct. "I turned around and did what had happened to me."

Some reporters have looked into his miracle claims, and were unable to find any evidence that anyone was ever cured. That doesn't stop believers from saying they were, though.

Nightline did a report on him.

Here's a Florida doctor's letter to a newspaper: http://www.theledger.com/article/20080705/NEWS/588942307

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 03:56:14 PM »
Interesting!  I initially thought of the Toronto blessing phenomenon in '94, because I thought there were lots of issues with cheating on spouses there as well ... however, I can't seem to find any ... but a quick search on Youtube for the Toronto blessing and I found this intriguing video ... ... so it seems the real question is, what is going on in these "ministry training schools"?

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +167/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 07:47:32 AM »
So-called faith healers use mass hypnosis techniques and mob mentality, coupled with people desparately wanting to believe something, and add their own brand of charisma to produce shows like this.

Ever see the study where there were 9 students "planted" in a room of 10 students?  When a teacher asked "which is the longest line on the chalk board" and the 9 plants chose an obviously false answer, the 10th student chose it as well.

Essentially the same thing here when folks "fall down after being touched by god" and all that cra--stuff.
...religion is simply tribalism with a side order of philosophical wankery, and occasionally a baseball bat to smash...anyone who doesn't show...deference to the tribe's chosen totem.

~Astreja

To not believe in god is to know that it falls to us to make the world a better place.

~Sam Harris

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Laureate
  • Darwins +1149/-39
  • We stand on the shoulders of giants
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 09:05:40 AM »
this was posted on ATT.  The Many Faces of Benny Hinn part 1 of 8.  An HBO documentary about the fraud.  Even after a family's son died, they did not blame Hinn - they blamed themselves for not having enough faith. Obscene.  Hinn and his ilk should be hanged.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5582961561140514506&q=benny+hinn+site%3Avideo.google.com&total=341&start=0&num=50&so=0&type=search&plindex=0
What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline NHB

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 02:48:41 PM »
I watched the vid posted in the OP.  What good would an extra inch on his stump do?

Offline Vynn

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • 1st an infidel, then a heretic, now an atheist!
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 02:53:37 PM »
I watched the vid posted in the OP.  What good would an extra inch on his stump do?

And, if that's all his god can do, what does that say about god?

Offline Graybeard

• Professor
  • Darwins +882/-28
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2009, 03:27:34 PM »
Miracle my eye! He hasn't got a leg to stand on!
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline bgb

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +8/-0
  • That felt great.
    • BGBART SHIRTS AND GIFTS
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2009, 06:22:06 PM »
He says in a statement that he can see the preacher wave his hand in front of him.  Then he says he can only see lights and darks.  Get your story right.
"A dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way." -Jules Winnfield

Offline jedweber

• Fellow
  • Darwins +19/-0
  • Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2009, 07:14:28 PM »
Hey, somebody raised this thread from the dead! It's a miracle!

Sadly (inevitably?) the "Lakeland Revival" had already fallen apart by the time this thread was even started last year. Todd Bentley is still laying low somewhere, supposedly undergoing counseling. No doubt he'll reappear someday, though.

The Rise and Fall of Todd Bentley
http://debunkingchristianity.blogspot.com/2008/08/rise-and-fall-of-todd-bentley.html

Offline spetznatz

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • It's all Bollocks...
    • Architectural Visualisation
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2009, 06:35:26 AM »
The depths of Human gullibility know no bounds.

When the guy 'covers' his good eye, he's still got peripheral vision. You can clearly see the gap between the palm of his hand & the bridge of his nose, and they're waving their hands directly in line with the gap.

Unbelievable.
http://vizarch.blogspot.com  
"Trifles, light as air, are to the zealous confirmation strong as proofs of holy writ."