Author Topic: some thoughts on coalition forming  (Read 720 times)

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +703/-28
  • Karma mooch
some thoughts on coalition forming
« on: June 29, 2012, 09:52:17 AM »
John Avarosis at Americablog had posted 4 rules for forming an effective coalition. 
http://www.americablog.com/2012/06/rules-for-managing-effective.html

They may not apply strictly to atheists, but I think they are good ideas.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
Re: some thoughts on coalition forming
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 01:59:57 PM »
Great link!  Thanks for posting.  I do a lot of coalition work, and it is hard.  I think that progressives tend to talk too much, and act too little.  We have to keep checking in, and review the decisions we made two years ago to make sure we still embrace them, and second guess what the representatives from some constituency that couldn't make it to this evening's meeting would like to do. 

For those of you who didn't read it, here are the 4 rules.  Detailed descriptions and examples are included in the article.  But here is the teaser:

Rules for managing an Effective Progressive Coalition

1. No constituency in the Coalition takes a backward step to advance another's cause. (I call this the Cruickshank Rule; see below.)

2. Members of the Coalition have each others' back. No constituency under attack stands alone.

3. The Coalition serves the Coalition, not the Democratic Party or any other group or goals.

4. The Coalition preferences political action to discussion. (This is the No Dithering Rule.)

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +703/-28
  • Karma mooch
Re: some thoughts on coalition forming
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 02:20:14 PM »
This ties in to the article posted recently about how atheists (and I think liberals too) end up endlessly debating each other rather than actually act.  This is where conservative/ religious impulses to shut the flip up and do what they are told have an advantage.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.