Author Topic: Large Hadron Collider Rap!  (Read 2503 times)

Offline Cyberia

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +35/-0
Large Hadron Collider Rap!
« on: September 02, 2008, 04:26:56 AM »
Large Hadron Collider Rap!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j50ZssEojtM[/youtube]

This is awesome!!!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 04:31:48 AM by Cyberia »
Soon we will judge angels.

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
Re: Large Hadron Collider Rap!
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 08:41:51 AM »
I watched this and incidentally have booked an appointment with my therapist.

Though I hear these guys have gotten the 'Go' on getting this thing started - apparently 10th September, going to have to catch this on television - if we all see Gorden Freeman running around with a crow bar beating headcrabs to death then we know something's gone wrong.  ;D
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline JackWhitehead1

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Time's owned every thought I've known.
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 08:45:52 AM »
I always misread this as "large hardon collider"

Offline Marke

• karma = NOTB
  • Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 08:55:26 AM »
I watched this and incidentally have booked an appointment with my therapist.

Though I hear these guys have gotten the 'Go' on getting this thing started - apparently 10th September, going to have to catch this on television - if we all see Gorden Freeman running around with a crow bar beating headcrabs to death then we know something's gone wrong.  ;D

good to see we have a few days to live, I think I will straiten up the house.

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 08:58:14 AM »
Watch out for this guy if I were you:

This is a massive breakthrough in science - not because we have a particle accelerator...no, no folks, it will test whether or not video games are real.

Oh and the article announcing the date (for anybody who wants to read it)

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/39132/113/
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline ;)

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • My name's Dan, ignore the crap username :)
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 09:07:46 AM »
I don't get why alot of people are worried about this, i think it's incredible :')
Our freedom's consuming itself.

Offline ;)

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 09:13:09 AM »
And that video is amazing haha
Extremely sad!
But good :D

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 09:21:58 AM »
I don't get why alot of people are worried about this, i think it's incredible :')

It's probably unecessary for people to fear it - there's more likelihood that a horde of Evangelics will destroy the earth than unstable mini-black holes created by this beast (unstable meaning they'd evaporate) of course we all hope that these people no exactly what they're doing and that there are no hiccups, miscalculations or errors made that could compromise the results they ought to get. I suppose the fear people have comes from not understanding the experiment wholly and words like 'black hole' are quite scary, but we shall see, come the 10th (assuming nobody intervenes)

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 10:29:33 AM »
Word to the nerds!

Can't wait to see what the results are ... regardless if they find the Higgs Boson(s) or not.
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline ;)

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 10:45:42 AM »

It's probably unecessary for people to fear it - there's more likelihood that a horde of Evangelics will destroy the earth than unstable mini-black holes created by this beast (unstable meaning they'd evaporate) of course we all hope that these people no exactly what they're doing and that there are no hiccups, miscalculations or errors made that could compromise the results they ought to get. I suppose the fear people have comes from not understanding the experiment wholly and words like 'black hole' are quite scary, but we shall see, come the 10th (assuming nobody intervenes)

Yeahh i guess to people who know nothing about it 'black hole' sounds quite threatening :D

Be a good way to go though!
Death by black hole :)

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 12:12:59 PM »
All this 'black hole' talk has had me tempted to say something politically incorrect for the sake of humour, but I think I've done good to refrain myself, particularly as I can't think of anything particularly funny.

I'm wondering what time it'll be on the TV, I wouldn't mind watching this thing kick off...though not doubt some will be worried by the day, 1 day before September 11th, so you might get some paranoid freaks. (I must admit I'm a little paranoid myself, but it'll be gone once they've done the experiment)

Offline hayzelee

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2008, 11:59:54 PM »

Yeahh i guess to people who know nothing about it 'black hole' sounds quite threatening :D

Don't Be Scared. I'm sure your death will be quick and painless if your sucked into a massive black hole!
Who are you to judge the life I live? I know I'm not perfect, I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, Make sure your hands are clean. - Bob Marley.

Offline bahramthered

• Fellow
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2008, 01:50:37 PM »
Huh actually it'd be the worst fate ever. Getting sucked into the event horizion would be a slow montion death (gravitational time dilation) with you getting broke into half over and over again as you approach the event horizion. It'd take a second (actually less) but with the temporal effects it'd suck for a very long time for you.

But hey the first atomic reaction was suppose to destroy the planet. Einstien and company did it and we're all still here.

Offline JackWhitehead1

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2008, 01:52:46 PM »
Isn't the event horizon only experienced by the observer?
The actual person does get sucked in, and dies obviously, therefore the person does not carry on witnessing what only appears to be his slow motion death.

Offline ;)

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2008, 01:53:16 PM »

Don't Be Scared. I'm sure your death will be quick and painless if your sucked into a massive black hole!

I'm not scared, i'd be more excited if anything :D

Offline JackWhitehead1

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2008, 01:55:44 PM »

I'm not scared, i'd be more excited if anything :D

Excited that within an instant, you will be dead?
Very exciting.

Offline ;)

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2008, 01:59:44 PM »
Isn't the event horizon only experienced by the observer?
The actual person does get sucked in, and dies obviously, therefore the person does not carry on witnessing what only appears to be his slow motion death.

The person will be dead way before the event horizon anyway.
The force outside it, and the accretion disk would kill them .. violently :D

Offline ;)

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2008, 02:00:42 PM »
And yes, exciting :)

Old age ..
Terminal illness ..
Death by black hole ..

Sounds the better option to me ;)

Offline JackWhitehead1

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2008, 02:04:22 PM »
And yes, exciting :)

Old age ..
Terminal illness ..
Death by black hole ..

Sounds the better option to me ;)

Old age ..
Terminal illness ..
Death by black hole ..
not dying ..

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2008, 02:19:14 PM »
While we are waiting ... a clock to count down the days, hours, minutes, and seconds till the LHC is activated and the first pair of particle beams are set in motion to collide;

http://quegrande.org/countdown/

As of a few seconds ago, the timer reported reassuringly;

LARGE HADRON COLLIDER

WILL KILL US DEAD IN 03 DAYS, 20 HOURS, 35 MINUTES AND 12 SECONDS
(NOW IT'S FOR REAL)

Something to read between now and then;

The Large Hadron Collider: Countdown
http://www.sciam.com/report.cfm?id=lhc-countdown&sc=rss

On September 10, the world's biggest science experiment is set to come online. Here's how it will search for the Higgs boson, dark matter and supersymmetry
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline ;)

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2008, 02:32:37 PM »
Thanks for that second link Hermes, give me something to read :)

And Jack, i meant if i was going to die, i wouldn't mind that happening :)

Offline JackWhitehead1

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2008, 02:36:16 PM »
Thanks for that second link Hermes, give me something to read :)

And Jack, i meant if i was going to die, i wouldn't mind that happening :)

But the original question was posed to you in the context that if you knew you were going to die via black hole in a few days, in the assumption that if you weren't going to die via blackhole, you aren't going to randomly grow cancerous cells, or randomly contract a terminal illness, or randomly grow in age to the point were you are going to die in 3 days, why would you be excited?

And I don't think you have any terminal illnesses that I don't know of, do you?  :(

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2008, 09:29:08 PM »
As of a few seconds ago, the timer reported reassuringly;

LARGE HADRON COLLIDER

WILL KILL US DEAD IN 00 DAYS, 13 HOURS, 26 MINUTES AND 43 SECONDS
(NOW IT'S FOR REAL)

http://quegrande.org/countdown

Appropriate video;

REM:
End Of The World As We Know It
(And I feel Fine)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGqroT1FZ5Y[/youtube]