Author Topic: I like the idea of a debate room...  (Read 1677 times)

Offline GetMeThere

I like the idea of a debate room...
« on: December 17, 2009, 01:47:10 PM »
Why not keep this room permanently? It could come with a written rule for this section that threads are only between the two posters who start it, or those listed on the first post of the thread. AND, if observers saw a thread and felt COMPELLED to jump in, they would start a separate thread entitled XYZ--commentary. Just as it has been going now.

Seems like a great idea!

I've gotten into back and forths that were going hot and heavy, and when other's start to chime in the entire dynamic evaporates. Also, for evasive christians, it's far too easy for them to jump to answering another poster just when you've got them nicely cornered. If someone couldn't face the discussion anymore they'd have to admit it--if only by leaving without further posts.

Offline Tykster

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +11/-0
Re: I like the idea of a debate room...
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 01:52:54 PM »
{Monty Python} ....no it wouldn't....{/Monty Python}

I think it's a sound idea.
rhocam ~ I guess there are several trillion cells in a man, and one in an amoeba, so to be generous, lets say that there were a billion. That is one every fifteen years. So in my lifetime I should have seen two evolutionary changes.

Offline Inactive_1

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +10/-2
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 04:54:18 PM »
Why not keep this room permanently?

I don't see any reason we couldn't.

It could come with a written rule for this section that threads are only between the two posters who start it, or those listed on the first post of the thread. AND, if observers saw a thread and felt COMPELLED to jump in, they would start a separate thread entitled XYZ--commentary. Just as it has been going now.

Yes we need rules to distinguish it's purpose from the other boards. Would you like to help us and volunteer to write up an initial small set of rules? We'll review it here.

Thanks

Offline Barracuda

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 05:12:01 PM »
I'm in favor, Good idea GetMeThere.

Offline Barracuda

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 07:25:14 PM »
Should we post a thread in this board for like debate requests and such?

Offline GetMeThere

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 08:40:52 PM »
Yes we need rules to distinguish it's purpose from the other boards. Would you like to help us and volunteer to write up an initial small set of rules? We'll review it here.

Rules:

1) Posts can be made in debate threads only by the debaters listed in the first post. The debaters should be shown first on the post, so that the list is easily found. The participants decide among themselves who will participate.

2) The thread title of a debate thread should end in the word "debate." Example: Evolution vs Creationism debate

3) The original creator of the debate thread should include below the participant list a LINK to another thread also started by the debate thread creator. The title of that thread will be the same as the debate thread, with the word "commentary" appended. Example: Evolution vs Creationism debate - commentary. Anyone may easily comment in the commentary thread by finding the link on the first post of the debate thread, and then posting in the linked commentary thread. Comments should, of course, relate to the debate.

Summary: When participants agree, one of them creates a debate thread, and notes in plain view in the first post who the debaters are. The thread creator also creates and provides a link to a commentary thread. The link is noted in plain view on the first post near the debater list. The debate thread is for debaters ONLY, the commentary thread is for ALL members who wish to comment on the debate. The comment thread is easily found by those wishing to comment by looking at the first post of the debate thread.

I'll set up an example for viewing...
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 08:52:08 PM by GetMeThere »

Offline Inactive_1

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +10/-2
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 10:41:35 PM »

Summary: When participants agree, one of them creates a debate thread, and notes in plain view in the first post who the debaters are.

Q: How do you envision the agreement coming into being? I presume it is all done via PMs so as to reduce clutter in the debate area? So after the PM messages, in which an agreement to debate happens, one or the other person opens the new debate thread and commentary thread?

Offline jazzman

• www.jazz24.org
  • Postgraduate
  • Darwins +3/-0
  • I don't get no respect
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 12:01:34 AM »
Shouldn't we also have a method for determining who won the debate?  A popular vote, perhaps?  Why debate if it's nothing more than an academic exercise?

Jazzman
"Things you don't see: An old man having a Twix." -- Karl Pilkington

Offline GetMeThere

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 12:43:42 AM »
Q: How do you envision the agreement coming into being? I presume it is all done via PMs so as to reduce clutter in the debate area? So after the PM messages, in which an agreement to debate happens, one or the other person opens the new debate thread and commentary thread?

I didn't see that as a problem. A PM, or a simple mention in a regular thread, "Would you like to debate that issue with me directly?"

There could be a rule that all invitations MUST be by PM, if administrators preferred that.

Hopefully, the most forum savvy member among the participants will agree to set up the threads and PM a link to the participants (although I expect most debates to involve only two members).

Offline GetMeThere

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 12:52:52 AM »
Shouldn't we also have a method for determining who won the debate?  A popular vote, perhaps?  Why debate if it's nothing more than an academic exercise?

Jazzman

I think people can say whatever they please in the commentary section. From my point of view the interesting aspect will be in seeing christians pushed without escape. In regular threads there are endless opportunities to evade difficult points, and often the discussion goes nowhere.

It's odd that, in fact, it's CHRISTIANS who control the discussion here--and often they end up wasting a tremendous amount of the time of multiple members. In a one-on-one situation the christian-atheist input would be evenly matched. Must less time would be wasted and christian visitors would be seriously challenged. Gaining that, it hardly matters "who wins."

Offline Levan

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 01:11:54 AM »
I don't think it should be a popularity vote, since many theists would consider us biased.

Offline Inactive_1

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +10/-2
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 06:23:07 PM »
Rules:

1) Posts can be made in debate threads only by the debaters listed in the first post. The debaters should be shown first on the post, so that the list is easily found. The participants decide among themselves who will participate.

2) The thread title of a debate thread should end in the word "debate." Example: Evolution vs Creationism debate

3) The original creator of the debate thread should include below the participant list a LINK to another thread also started by the debate thread creator. The title of that thread will be the same as the debate thread, with the word "commentary" appended. Example: Evolution vs Creationism debate - commentary. Anyone may easily comment in the commentary thread by finding the link on the first post of the debate thread, and then posting in the linked commentary thread. Comments should, of course, relate to the debate.

Summary: When participants agree, one of them creates a debate thread, and notes in plain view in the first post who the debaters are. The thread creator also creates and provides a link to a commentary thread. The link is noted in plain view on the first post near the debater list. The debate thread is for debaters ONLY, the commentary thread is for ALL members who wish to comment on the debate. The comment thread is easily found by those wishing to comment by looking at the first post of the debate thread.

OK, I'll use this as the basis for the rules, I'll add a few notes about moderation and moving "illegal" posts out of the debate thread into the commentary thread.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +267/-31
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 06:28:47 PM »
... All uninvited members must post in the commentary thread.

Must they?  That's an awful lot of people who must make posts in the commentary thread.  Are you going to MM the whole forum about this, or...?

;D
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline GetMeThere

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2009, 08:57:15 PM »
... All uninvited members must post in the commentary thread.

Must they?  That's an awful lot of people who must make posts in the commentary thread.  Are you going to MM the whole forum about this, or...?

;D

Uh oh. I hope you're drunk. Why else be picayune toward administrators of all people?!?!

Offline knot

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Just a little bit to your right.
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2010, 08:49:39 PM »
Very interesting.

A private debate between certain individuals.

Could and can the debaters enable another person to be allowed into a debate?

Make it equal and fair and all.

Lets say a person sees a debate and is very interested in having posts put into the directly, either to answer or have questions answered.

Of course this would have to be delegated through and from the original debaters in the first post of the debate thread.

Once again good idea, i'd hope it fairs well.

Very interesting.

A private debate between certain individuals.

Could and can the debaters enable another person to be allowed into a debate?

Make it equal and fair and all.

Lets say a person sees a debate and is very interested in having posts put into the directly, either to answer or have questions answered.

Of course this would have to be delegated through and from the original debaters in the first post of the debate thread.

Once again good idea, i'd hope it fairs well.

Edit: One other Idea as I read further on these debates is: Subjects of Debate

In this thread you or anyone could put up a subject of debate. Working out the details in and on thus particular thread, as participants are acknowledged

Subject _____ __ ________ 

My side would be for/against.

Any challengers?

Who would like to participate, and which side?

« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 09:24:55 PM by knot »
The truth is the most important thing that there is, yet it is the least popular thing on Earth. And, obviously, this discrepancy is not by chance, but rather, by design-the truth is being actively suppressed.
In A Time Of Universal Deceit, Telling The Truth Becomes A Revolutionary Act George Orwel

Offline Deus ex Machina

• Fellow
  • Darwins +23/-3
  • non-cdesign-proponentsist
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2010, 03:23:05 PM »
See the 'Debate challenges' thread in the parent board of this one.

Regarding inviting additional participants into a debate, it would be up to the primary participants - though I think it would somewhat unbalance the debate if each 'team' had different numbers of members, so I would not generally support the ad hoc inclusion of guests into a discussion. That, to my mind, is what the regular discussion threads are for, not this section. Non-participants are free to add their comments on the ongoing debate into the 'commentary' thread, of course, and nothing is stopping participants from using any material posted in the commentary thread in their own arguments (there's no realistic way one could police that).
No day in which you learn something is wasted.