Author Topic: the optical illusion vid [#336]  (Read 331 times)

Offline DL

the optical illusion vid [#336]
« on: September 01, 2008, 06:48:57 AM »

ok.first to of all i am not christain. i am jewish. just to inform you.
second of all,i dissagree with your statement,"praying to god does nothing."because praying to god does something.

now for all we know,god could be imaginary. he could not exist.that i agree on. but, i think praying to god is kinda like adrenaline. like you pray. and you believe that he will answer your prayers. lets say you pray for a promotion. this gives you hope. you go to work happy,because you believe that you will get a promotion. you are more upbeat than usual, and you do your work well instead of drudging through it everyday.
a week later,you get your promotion.

because praying to god gave you the hope to carry through.

now, even if god is imaginary,i really dont think you should go around making videos like this. i know,people have to know the truth.its important. but if the truth makes them lose hope.....
sometimes optical illusions help people.
and it wont hurt anyone if it stays that way.

now i may not know a thing about what im talking about,but I just had to say this

[name]

Offline Dragnet

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • iustus res "We just want the facts"
Re: the optical illusion vid [#336]
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 07:02:21 AM »
Please join our forum.
I think we need more folks with different perspectives. The Jewish perspective would be very welcome indeed.
I am responsible with my actions NOW so I don't HAVE to be responsible for them later.

Offline StPatrick

• Reader
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • The patron saint of WWGHA
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 07:43:46 AM »
That's funny, we still have plenty of hope and ambition despite the fact that we don't pray.  Simple fact is, if you put your mind to something you can achieve it.  No diety required.
If we come together and do not fight over religion, class and borders then we hold the key to a peaceful world. There are two possible futures in store; either a March of power and greed or a March of a unified human race.

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 11:20:16 AM »
ok.first to of all i am not christain. i am jewish. just to inform you.
second of all,i dissagree with your statement,"praying to god does nothing."because praying to god does something.

As does meditation ... but it's not supernatural and the benefits are neurological and internal not external.

now for all we know,god could be imaginary. he could not exist.that i agree on.

The deists might be right ... but only because the god they postulate is not personally involved and active in the world.  The problem is, that god also doesn't show itself so it can't be proven either.

The Christians posit an active god that is personally involved, yet they show no evidence for that active personal god.

but, i think praying to god is kinda like adrenaline. like you pray. and you believe that he will answer your prayers. lets say you pray for a promotion. this gives you hope. you go to work happy,because you believe that you will get a promotion. you are more upbeat than usual, and you do your work well instead of drudging through it everyday.
a week later,you get your promotion.

because praying to god gave you the hope to carry through.

Did you see the part in the videos that shows it is detrimental for cancer patients to be prayed for?

How do you address that and the results of other prayer studies that have been performed?

now, even if god is imaginary,i really dont think you should go around making videos like this. i know,people have to know the truth.its important. but if the truth makes them lose hope.....
sometimes optical illusions help people.
and it wont hurt anyone if it stays that way.

Think about two things;

1. Is religion really harmless? 

As a Jew, you know what the costs are of religious groups -- both those who are for Jewish people and those who are against Jewish people -- and that the reasons these people give for acting as they do.  Speaking up for any religious group at the detriment of others ... or speaking against any religious group at the detriment of others is bigotry.  You know this.  Religion fractures and makes us move into cliques where both ignorance and this bigotry thrives.

As a non-religious person, I can appreciate and criticise all groups.  If I am mistaken, people need only show me that I am wrong and as I have no stake in any religion I have no automatic defences to protect one group from valid criticism or to insist that one group or another should be criticized more than another.

2. Do you like to be able to speak your mind?

If you do, and do not deny anyone else that ability, then we are in agreement.  If you do think these videos and people who do not think religion is entirely positive -- and has many many negatives -- should be silent I have to say that we are not in agreement.

I speak out against the negative aspects of religion vigorously since I have the right to do so.  This is not hate.  This is not dogmatic.  This is not a clique.  I look, I see, I judge as do we all and I am using my rights to speak. 

If you don't like the message, you can use your right to speak about it and change my mind or talk about the style used to convey that message.  I encourage you to do so; we both may learn something.

now i may not know a thing about what im talking about,but I just had to say this

That's fine.  If you do learn something you think I don't know, please drop by the forums.  I'm always interested in learning about reality.
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer