Author Topic: WLC Style Apologetics Commentary Thread  (Read 50224 times)

Offline Majesty

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
Re: WLC Style Apologetics Commentary Thread
« Reply #174 on: December 17, 2009, 01:37:38 AM »
Can    I    just    say     that,    personally     speaking,    I     would

prefer     it       if       Majesty     spaced      out        his        words  

just      a      little       bit        more   ?  

Not      that      I'm       spaced       out     myself,      or      anything   ....  

...    I      just        dig        gaps.  

I  see  everybody  in  here  want  to  be  a  damn  comedian

Offline Grogan

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
    • I Deny God
« Reply #175 on: December 17, 2009, 01:39:32 AM »
I  see  everybody  in  here  want  to  be  a  damn  comedian

You can shut them up if you actually engage in discussion and debate.

Imagine if he would have done this in your original construct, a yahoo chat room, holy shit.
Quote from: kenn
You want to understand God and the world around you through science and logic alone and, because you cannot come up with a "reasonable" explanation for what they ate when leaving the ark, you dismiss it.

Offline Levan

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #176 on: December 17, 2009, 01:46:50 AM »
Hey, I'd probably do that too if I were the average human being. Ugh... still not showing any signs of stopping the spacing? It's really, really killing me just by looking at it. Since it just takes more time to write, I can't really see any benefit from it other than to hypnotize the opposition.

And I think it's working, too.

I thought Majesty was arguing for the existence of any deity, not his particular deity...

Oh well.

Exactly!!  And  i  address  that  in  my  opening  statement.

Hm. I guess point number 1 is moot.

Though the best part is probably going to be about the Kalam argument itself.

Offline Majesty

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #177 on: December 17, 2009, 01:47:54 AM »

Who cares what time zone anyone is in? Time to fish or cut bait.

Hey  smart  guy,  i  made  reference  to  the  time  thing  because  i  wanted  people  to know  what  time  i  started  and  if  they  are  in  a  different  time  zone  they  can  calculate  what  time  i  started

Offline 13UnderTheGun

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #178 on: December 17, 2009, 01:56:29 AM »
Ugh... still not showing any signs of stopping the spacing? It's really, really killing me just by looking at it. Since it just takes more time to write, I can't really see any benefit from it other than to hypnotize the opposition.

And I think it's working, too.

He addressed the double spacing early on. I guess he learned how to type that way, and now it's habit.

I can understand that. If that's how he types, that's how he types.

Think of it like a legal document or court transcription Levan. Those are double spaced too.

I'm bored...

How's it coming Keith? Can we get an update? Half way done? Almost done?

Wanna send me a rough draft and I'll proof it for you? You know, kind of like a sneak peek?  lol.   :P
The more we learn about the heavens, the more we realize that Heaven is imaginary.

LOOK GOD DOES EXIST AND IF U CANT SEE THAT THEN YOUR A STUPID RETARDED IDIOT WHO IS AN ATHIEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline GetMeThere

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #179 on: December 17, 2009, 01:59:22 AM »

Who cares what time zone anyone is in? Time to fish or cut bait.

Hey  smart  guy,  i  made  reference  to  the  time  thing  because  i  wanted  people  to know  what  time  i  started  and  if  they  are  in  a  different  time  zone  they  can  calculate  what  time  i  started

Anyone, in any time zone, can know the time you started by looking at the forum-applied time stamp on your post, and adjusting accordingly--or they can already have adjusted in their profile.

It's been five hours now. Is the spacebar on your keyboard broken or something?

Offline GetMeThere

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #180 on: December 17, 2009, 02:08:23 AM »
Think of it like a legal document or court transcription Levan. Those are double spaced too.

AFAIK legal documents are double-spaced only between LINES, not between words. (They may insist on a double space between sentences, as well)

Offline Agamemnon

• Fellow
  • Darwins +15/-0
« Reply #181 on: December 17, 2009, 02:26:49 AM »
So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence.  --Bertrand Russell

Offline Levan

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #182 on: December 17, 2009, 02:55:33 AM »
Pfft.

In my opinion, cosmological arguments fail no matter how they're done. The best they can do (even against a generally incompetent debater) is prove that, always, there is something. That "something" could be the universe, it could be the multiverse, or it could be existence as a whole (or some sort of deity, but it's not possible to prove it with cosmological arguments alone).

Which doesn't even work all the time, given quantum mechanics.

Offline Grogan

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
    • I Deny God
« Reply #183 on: December 17, 2009, 03:09:01 AM »
Quote from: kenn
You want to understand God and the world around you through science and logic alone and, because you cannot come up with a "reasonable" explanation for what they ate when leaving the ark, you dismiss it.

Offline 13UnderTheGun

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #184 on: December 17, 2009, 03:21:54 AM »

AFAIK legal documents are double-spaced only between LINES, not between words. (They may insist on a double space between sentences, as well)

I stand erected. Carry on.
The more we learn about the heavens, the more we realize that Heaven is imaginary.

LOOK GOD DOES EXIST AND IF U CANT SEE THAT THEN YOUR A STUPID RETARDED IDIOT WHO IS AN ATHIEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +301/-32
« Reply #185 on: December 17, 2009, 07:35:02 AM »
I had figured that Keith's reason for his double-word-spacing was so that it would be more difficult to copy-paste his text into Google and thus spot plagiarism.

That would be in-character.
I have not encountered any mechanical malfunctioning in my spirit.  It works every single time I need it to.

Offline Tykster

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +11/-0
« Reply #186 on: December 17, 2009, 08:24:55 AM »
Ok  people,  enough  with  the  small  talk.  I  am  now  about  to  present  my  arguments.  I  have  read  all  of  your  comments  up  this  point,  are  yall  ready?  It  is  6:57pm  in  AZ,  i  dont  know  what  the  hell  time  zone  AZ  is  in...but  im  starting  my  presentation,  RIGHT  NOW??  hehehehe  LETS  GO!!!

You're in the military and you don't know what time zone you're operating in?   &)

....and it's coming up on 12 hours since your "now"....  you are growing ever more tiresome with your rhetoric. Please try and post something of substance or just scuttle along like so many other of the deluded masses that have tried and failed to convince us of your fairy stories.....
rhocam ~ I guess there are several trillion cells in a man, and one in an amoeba, so to be generous, lets say that there were a billion. That is one every fifteen years. So in my lifetime I should have seen two evolutionary changes.

Offline Levan

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #187 on: December 17, 2009, 08:32:54 AM »
Maybe we should stop making fun of him... I've got a feeling he might just quit if we keep it up.

I really want to see what he came up with, and I'm curious as to whether he's all talk or not.

Offline monkeymind

• Fellow
  • Darwins +44/-4
  • I don't understand what I know about it!
    • How To Know If You Are A Real Christian
« Reply #188 on: December 17, 2009, 08:36:24 AM »
I think soldier may have shot himself in the foot. Hope he can defend the country better than he defends his position. Do you have bullets in that gun?

You come in here all Rambo on us with "I can take you all on, well 4 or 5 at a time. Well, 1 at a time. well, I am gonna take you all on one at a time. Well, I am gonna post.........................now.........................."

I dislike people who are all talk and no action. Or all action and no brains.

I was in the military, as was my father before me. You do not remind me of anyone good that I saw during my enlistment, basic training, or TDY.  I hope you get over yourself before you get hurt or cause others to get hurt.
Truthfinder:the birds adapt and change through million of years in order to survive ,is that science, then cats should evolve also wings to better catch the birds
Mailbag:On a side note, back in college before my conversion, I actually saw a demon sitting next to me in critical thinking class.

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +56/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #189 on: December 17, 2009, 09:03:05 AM »
Majesty claims his opening response will not fit within the text limits of two, consecutive posts.  I think we're in for a wall of text that will actually say very little.  Forget popcorn -- I'm thinking Pepto Bismol...
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline Tykster

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +11/-0
« Reply #190 on: December 17, 2009, 09:05:03 AM »
Maybe we should stop making fun of him... I've got a feeling he might just quit if we keep it up.

I really want to see what he came up with, and I'm curious as to whether he's all talk or not.

I think we're all getting a glimpse of just how weak he will be, nothing but bravado. Imagine if our own esteemed kcrady was being lambasted on another board...I seriously doubt that he would leave them pondering about exactly what his positions were....
rhocam ~ I guess there are several trillion cells in a man, and one in an amoeba, so to be generous, lets say that there were a billion. That is one every fifteen years. So in my lifetime I should have seen two evolutionary changes.

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +301/-32
« Reply #191 on: December 17, 2009, 09:05:31 AM »
If it won't fit into several consecutive forum-posts, then how was he planning to present his argument in a Yahoo conversation?
I have not encountered any mechanical malfunctioning in my spirit.  It works every single time I need it to.

Offline Inactive_1

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +10/-2
« Reply #192 on: December 17, 2009, 09:17:50 AM »
If it won't fit into several consecutive forum-posts, then how was he planning to present his argument in a Yahoo conversation?

Exactly. I have responded to his "Admin" post. If I sense he isn't serious about this I'll have to take action, but I'll let him go a little longer and see if he can put out. We're not publishing online books here, we're debating ideas.

Offline Levan

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #193 on: December 17, 2009, 09:21:35 AM »
I actually have a feeling that he's either:

1) not going to post anything, or

2) copying out an argument from one of WLC's debates/books.

I hope he shows otherwise. I'm getting bored, quickly.

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +301/-32
« Reply #194 on: December 17, 2009, 09:54:25 AM »
Must take a lot of work to add those extra spaces to all of WLC's text, in order to make plagiarism-searching more difficult.  Not impossible, though, as jetson has mentioned.

Offline Levan

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #195 on: December 17, 2009, 10:03:52 AM »
Ah no, if you're able to find a transcript on the internet, you could just search-replace all normal spaces to doubled spaces.

Offline voodoo child

• Reader
  • Darwins +10/-0
« Reply #196 on: December 17, 2009, 10:06:56 AM »
Witless   Lame   Conclusions.               that's what I thought apologetics was about.
The classical man is just a bundle of routine, ideas and tradition. If you follow the classical pattern, you are understanding the routine, the tradition, the shadow, you are not understanding yourself. Truth has no path. Truth is living and therefore changing. Bruce lee

Offline Inactive_1

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +10/-2
« Reply #197 on: December 17, 2009, 10:09:40 AM »
Majesty,

Just to make sure we are on the same page, have you read the rules?

From the rules -

Material from an external source must be cited by providing a Web link or an adequate reference to the relevant publication.

I am not accusing you of this, because you haven't posted anything, but some people do not understand that you have to cite another person's material if you use it here. You might want to check your posts if you rely heavily on WLC, to make sure you don't use his material without proper citation.

Thanks, and looking forward to your posts in the debate.

Offline Levan

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #198 on: December 17, 2009, 10:10:51 AM »
1:00 PM here. Good night...

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
« Reply #199 on: December 17, 2009, 10:39:10 AM »
I'm still patient, though I am curious why an initial post in a debate is over 40,000 characters long.  Being generous, let's say that reformatted it is only 30,000 characters.  

When I have a good day of writing, I rarely do over a few thousand words.  A 30,000+ character document (roughly ~5,000 words) is substantial and shows either great skill and stamina, just stamina, or unknown skill combined with large sections of material from other sources or prior writing.
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline Agamemnon

• Fellow
  • Darwins +15/-0
« Reply #200 on: December 17, 2009, 10:46:54 AM »
I am curious about the "hit list" thing. It seems to be the reason his post was so massive. Did he consume a bunch of space in this to rebut each and every poster in this thread or something?
So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence.  --Bertrand Russell

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +709/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #201 on: December 17, 2009, 11:01:11 AM »
I am curious about the "hit list" thing. It seems to be the reason his post was so massive. Did he consume a bunch of space in this to rebut each and every poster in this thread or something?

To be honest, the "hit list" terminology bothers me.  Why is it that followers of the "prince of peace" so often use militaristic language?  The Salvation Army? Onward xian soldiers?  A crusade?  With a little effort you could find a zillion other examples.  I am glad this was published by churchies who have the same concerns. Though, even his main concern - missions - has military connotations.

Keith claims to be in tha army (I do not doubt he is), has a man-crush on WLC, talks a lot of trash and says we are all on his hit list.  Maybe I am being a wuss, but he does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling. 
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline kcrady

• Reader
  • Darwins +454/-1
  • Your Friendly Neighborhood Cephalopod Overlord
    • My blog
« Reply #202 on: December 17, 2009, 11:09:15 AM »
I am a bit surprised that he cannot even try to summarize the gist of his argument within a post or two for the purposes of an Opening Statement.  Were this an oral debate, or perhaps worse, a Yahoo chat room, he would have to be more parsimonious in his presentation.  Or would his presentation in Yahoo have been a six-hour straight zerg-post of massive volumes of material?

I'm not going to imply plagiarism since he hasn't posted anything yet, but I think I should probably expect the mother of all Gish Gallops.  But whatever it is, I do hope he'll post it, then crow about how wonderful it is, rather than the reverse this time.

I thought he meant that when he was done "defeating" me, he'd challenge everybody else, one by one or in groups, and whup them all.  Given his difficulties with throwing his first punch however, I'm not sure how he'd manage that.  But I suppose it's possible he's trying to do rebut everybody at once.  If so, I declare a right to ignore rebuttals to other posters if I choose to and address myself to positive arguments for the KCA and rebuttals addressed to my points.
"The question of whether atheists are, you know, right, typically gets sidestepped in favor of what is apparently the much more compelling question of whether atheists are jerks."

--Greta Christina