Author Topic: Is Personal Revelation Enough?  (Read 3848 times)

Offline Ambassador Pony

• You keep what you kill.
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
Re: Is Personal Revelation Enough?
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2009, 07:18:06 PM »
It is one of the most significant aspects of human character that a person can be so ignorant as to say the things deelvrd says and not only be completely blind to their own depravity, but make positive assertions that contradict all objective evidence.

Such a morally degenerate individual has to be the product of blinding ego coupled with acute intellectual disability. That this person threatens to abuse their own children by infecting them with the same confidence in stupidity is beyond my ability to stomach.

Compared to this thread, retarded midget wrestling for food stamps is the pinacle of human morality.

What can be done to help this person, or her children?
You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.

Offline Whateverman

• Reader
  • Darwins +6/-5
    • Skeptical Minds & Rational Thinkers
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2009, 07:23:16 PM »
Compared to this thread, retarded midget wrestling for food stamps is the pinacle of human morality.

Stolen and properly attributed.  Thanks :)
- SMRT Admin

Compared to this thread, retarded midget wrestling for food stamps is the pinnacle of human morality.
-- Ambassador Pony

Online dloubet

• Reader
  • Darwins +65/-1
    • Denisloubet.com
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2009, 07:27:45 PM »
I might be swayed by personal revelation only if the revelation contained proof that it was valid. One possible way to achieve this is if the revelation contained a non-ambiguous and non-trivial prediction that then came true. This method is, however, subject to judgmental bias. A better method would be if the revelation contained a solution to something like Hilbert's sixteenth problem, or some other unsolved mathematical issue. Then describing your revelation to a friend who actually understands math should result in some interesting excitement.

Now mind you, this wouldn't lead to "thus god exists" because as far as I know it could have been a hallucination coupled with the possibility that I'm an unconscious math whiz. Or it could have been a CIA plot to test the radio-tooth the dentist slipped me unawares. Or it could be the aliens beamed it into my brain from their mothership in orbit at this very moment. I'm going to have to evaluate all these much more plausible possibilities before I examine the supernatural.

And let's say I did examine them and the evidence led to the supernatural. Let's even say the revelation was that god exists and oh, by the way, here's a solution to a math problem so you can verify that this message is from an external source. Why should I believe the god part? I'd have to have a known god to compare it to, and I don't have one. I'd have to evaluate whether its claim that it's the god of the bible is true or not in order to identify it. I'd have to contend with the possibility that the Satan character also exists, and as a result all my observations and conclusions are suspect. I would have to check all this stuff out, because to do any less would be dodging my responsibilities. To just have faith and believe it was a revelation from the god, when it could just as easily be a message from Satan, is the height of irresponsibility.

It is simply irresponsible to employ faith to believe.
Denis Loubet

Offline Jim

• Reader
  • Darwins +11/-1
  • Born Again Atheist
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2009, 07:52:46 PM »
GLORY BE TO GLOB IN ALL HIS GRACE AND EFFERVESENCE! TRULY I SAY UNTO YOU*, THE FALAFAL OF MISFORTUNE WILL BE NEVERMORE CARRIED BY THE GOAT OF DESPAIR THROUGH THE VALLEY OF HIS ETERNAL WHEATCAKE!!!

And, blessings on you, too, brother Ray, in the most holy name of La.
Survey results coming soon!

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2009, 12:28:59 AM »
If God reveals Himself to you, in the quietness of your heart, will you then believe He's real?

No.  I've had a few experiences that might be considered "spiritual", and on a couple of occasions I've been able to deliberately create the same effect at will.  I have no way of distinguishing a made-up "revelation" from one that my brain spontaneously generates, and no way of connecting either type to an outside entity without supplemental physical evidence.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +65/-0
  • Polyatheist
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2009, 01:41:22 AM »
God has revealed himself to me and told me the amazing truth that christianity is a complete load of bollocks, and that I'm to start a new religion under him.. He came to me in my heart and told me that the rest of the world had messed it all up, and that I was the only person capable of changing it all for the better, and that I must start by telling everyone about my divine revelation.

Truly. He did. I swear I'm not lying... Will you kneel with me and pray for the start of this new world religion?

You see what it is you're asking us to believe? Do you really? ANY nutjob could claim as I have above - how do you know when they speak the truth, or are just plain delusional? What makes YOUR revelation any more valid than mine?
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Offline wheels5894

• Reader
  • Darwins +106/-1
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2009, 04:31:45 AM »
It's not just you, natlegend. This god, or another, I can't quite count how many there might be, used am angel to tell Mohammed all about himself - even gave Mo a ride on a flying horse to see heaven. The a similar things happened to Joseph Smith too.

So, OP, how does 'personal experience' help you decide which of a vast array of gods you experience represents? have a look at http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php?topic=10918.0 where I post some interesting research that might help you answer the question.

Right, now off to worship Bacchus....
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)