Author Topic: a proponent [#323]  (Read 486 times)

Offline PostalGirl

• Graduate
  • Darwins +16/-0
  • Just your friendly neighborhood postal girl!
a proponent [#323]
« on: August 29, 2008, 08:04:02 PM »
   Thank you for a breath of fresh air in seeing this site's vignette (youtube) of
chronological steps /exercises towards rational self-criticism.

These postings, and sites dedicated to helping people challenge themselves with
their very real emotional bonds to purported supernatural phenomena are of utmost
importance in this time that we live in.  The narrative uses a very gentle voice and
simplistic questions one must consider in challenging the reader's rational for the
answers.

I am glad the media, at least in America,  has shown a progressive step in inviting
various personalities on their shows to challenge religious dogma.  By necessity , as Mr.
Dawkins has stated, the deep essence of these various religious doctrines , if they are
truly fulfilled by the words and meaning they  convey, prescribe followers to act on
every accord of duty towards that religion. Such headlines for our future are indeed
prohibitive, as we all know too well.  When the scientific method holds us accountable
for showing evidence for our results this shows a checks and balance equation that the
"faithful " never need to be accountable for.
Once again i commend you on  what i hope can be a peaceful showcase of steps i've seen of
late to help the collective conscience.

Offline Ashe

• Reader
  • Darwins +10/-1
Re: a proponent [#323]
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 11:19:28 PM »
The narrative uses a very gentle voice and
simplistic questions one must consider in challenging the reader's rational for the
answers.

Interesting. Many times we hear much criticism about the reader's voice. He's apparently condescending and belittling. I wouldn't argue with such a statement, nor would I proclaim the videos to be the be all, end all of the debate. I do, however, think they videos open up a good discussion and I think some of the questions are more valid than many people give them credit for.

If you like this kind of discussion, I suggest joining up at this forum. You may find something deeper than the videos here.
2 miles!
"All men(humans )were demon possed and were planning to attack God. Just like if you talk back to your parents." - Failbag quote