Author Topic: 10 Questions: Please don't shoot me kind sir  (Read 22750 times)

Offline gregoriodomingos

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • -Can't we all just get along. -No.
    • AZORES
10 Questions: Please don't shoot me kind sir
« on: November 18, 2009, 05:20:13 PM »
I've seen it's a costum of new members to answer the 10 questions below so i'm sort of maintaining tradition ;D ;D.

1. Why won't God heal amputees?
 Well he could be too busy to pick up the phone
or he could be out shooping for Christmas
or he doesn't give a sh*** about us
 ill make sure to ask wen i die and meet him for my final judgement
or he simply does not exist
 :?
2. Why are there so many starving people in the world?
 Simple there are 6 billion people living in this tiny little planet in the middle of noware
there isn't enough food or economical interest to feed them all.
 >:(
3. Why does God demand the death of so many innocent people in the Bible?
 God did not write the bible man did so the real question is : Why does a man demand the death of so many innocent people in the Bible?
not sure about this one, but it might have something to do with greed.

4.Why does the Bible contain so much anti-scientific nonsense?
no science existed wen it was written. :o

5. Why is God such a huge proponent of slavery in the Bible?
it could be that we are all toys to him/she/it hum.....

6. Why do bad things happen to good people?
S*** happens...

7. Why didn't any of Jesus' miracles leave behind any evidence?
After drinking a lot off wine i to start to see things... but the next day they are gone. ( hi there who the hell are you man, and were is that girl from last night)

8. How do you explain the fact that Jesus has never appeared to you?
Witch one i know 2. both Spanish, i wonder if they are related.

9. Why would Jesus want you to eat his body and drink his blood?
No alcohol should go to waste.

10. Why do Christians get divorced at the same rate as non-Christians?
Christian and non-Christian couples jump in to marriage without previous experience at the same rate.
Is not tragedy a necessity in life?
Yes it is, may god give you hemeroids.

Offline Agamemnon

• Fellow
  • Darwins +15/-0
Re: 10 Questions: Please don't shoot me kind sir
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 08:12:02 PM »
Lol, that's about the best I've seen yet.

Bienvenido, gregoriodomingos!
So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence.  --Bertrand Russell

Offline voodoo child

• Reader
  • Darwins +10/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 09:42:33 PM »
Why does a man demand the death of so many innocent people in the Bible?

you are close..         OIL! :D     maybe just maybe when religion stops fighting amongst them self's as what god is true or is righteous, we just might find the cure for Cancer, or build a better battery.
I would still like to see all religion merge with the red cross, then maybe they just might get something done. like really make cures happen instead of wishing for it.

welcome to the site
The classical man is just a bundle of routine, ideas and tradition. If you follow the classical pattern, you are understanding the routine, the tradition, the shadow, you are not understanding yourself. Truth has no path. Truth is living and therefore changing. Bruce lee

Offline gregoriodomingos

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
    • AZORES
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 03:36:06 PM »

thanks just a minor correction i'm from Portugal not from Spain so wellcome in my native language is bem vindo.
It's the togth that conts.

Offline Agamemnon

• Fellow
  • Darwins +15/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 03:49:45 PM »

thanks just a minor correction i'm from Portugal not from Spain so wellcome in my native language is bem vindo.
It's the togth that conts.

All the better! 
So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence.  --Bertrand Russell

Offline gregoriodomingos

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
    • AZORES
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 03:52:43 PM »
you are close..         OIL! :D   
to give an anser like this you must be from the USA???
I'm atualy thinking about posting to discuss us society to confirm or disproof many conceptions and generalizations i have towards the Americas as people. do you think this wold be accepted??

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +335/-19
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 04:29:24 PM »
you are close..         OIL! :D   
to give an anser like this you must be from the USA???
I'm atualy thinking about posting to discuss us society to confirm or disproof many conceptions and generalizations i have towards the Americas as people. do you think this wold be accepted??

sure. Start it under the "chatter" area. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline voodoo child

• Reader
  • Darwins +10/-0
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 04:48:41 PM »
I live in Canada 

The only reason I say oil,  is it's a part of our daily lives,
Without oil. Life would be difficult in this age we live in.

http://www.energyquest.ca.gov/story/chapter08.html

Oil is made into many different products - fertilizers for farms, the clothes you wear, the toothbrush you use, the plastic bottle that holds your milk, the plastic pen that you write with. They all came from oil. There are thousands of other products that come from oil. Almost all plastic comes originally from oil.

http://fooddemocracy.wordpress.com/2008/07/16/plastic-bags-and-oil-consumption/

July 16, 2008
Plastic bags are made from oil: it takes about 430,000 gallons of oil to produce 100 million plastic bags, and the U.S. goes through 380 billion of them a year.

A statistics class at Indiana U did the math: more than 1.6 billion gallons of oil are used each year for plastic bags alone. The more we use plastic bags, the more we waste oil.

terrible, eh   :D
The classical man is just a bundle of routine, ideas and tradition. If you follow the classical pattern, you are understanding the routine, the tradition, the shadow, you are not understanding yourself. Truth has no path. Truth is living and therefore changing. Bruce lee

Offline gregoriodomingos

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
    • AZORES
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 05:01:53 PM »
I live in Canada 

The only reason I say oil,  is it's a part of our daily lives,
Without oil. Life would be difficult in this age we live in.
Ohhh you are from Canada.... hum.... i have a question.
how does it feel to be the world's gay friend??? ;D ;D (south park)

Offline voodoo child

• Reader
  • Darwins +10/-0
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2009, 08:16:11 AM »
how does it feel to be the world's gay friend???

better than being told to go home I guess?   sorry, I don't watch much southpark.  ;D

Offline gregoriodomingos

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
    • AZORES
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2009, 11:07:07 AM »
better than being told to go home I guess?   sorry, I don't watch much southpark.  ;D
;D ;D it's fine it was a joke anyway.
yes we the industrial world waste loads of oil but many are reducing it's use. cars in Europe have to meet very strict requirements for km/litre and carbon emissions, some major cities are replacing existing buses for biodiessel ones. so steps are being taken. but the big picture is that there are too many economical interests in oil preventing the development of feasible alternatives.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +335/-19
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2009, 03:22:54 PM »
Gregorio, is your sig a picture of the Azores?  I'll have to admit that my knowledge about the Azores is pretty limited to the geology in relation to the possible tsunami caused by the Canary Islands and an episode of No Reservations.
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

Offline gregoriodomingos

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
    • AZORES
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2009, 04:09:19 PM »
Actually it's 3 pictures fused to make the panoramic. But  yes it's from the Azores.
The tsunami thing, are you talking about the one from around 1755??

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +335/-19
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2009, 05:51:57 PM »
Actually it's 3 pictures fused to make the panoramic. But  yes it's from the Azores.
The tsunami thing, are you talking about the one from around 1755??

No, though I do know about that one.  I mean the one that could happen if the mountain side from the volcano on the Canaries let's loose.http://geology.com/news/2005/09/atlantic-ocean-tsunami-threat.html

beautiful pictures :)

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +135/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2009, 06:01:01 PM »
No, though I do know about that one.  I mean the one that could happen if the mountain side from the volcano on the Canaries let's loose.http://geology.com/news/2005/09/atlantic-ocean-tsunami-threat.html

velkyn, seriously, I can't get full off geology. So how about less earth science - and more chocolate chip toffee cookies.

;)
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline Majesty

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2010, 06:32:22 PM »

God  may  have morally  sufficient  reasons  for  permitting  pain  and  suffering,  and  that  would  include  victims  of  amputation.  As  long  as  it  is  even  possible  for  God  to  have  morally  sufficient  reasons  for  this,  then  him  allowing  it  doesnt  contradict  his  nature.  You  have  no  way of knowing  or  proving  that  God  doesnt  have  morally  sufficient  reasons  for  this,  so  you have  to  simply  withold  judgement.  And  by  not  withholding  judgment  you  are  simply  talking  about  circumstances  outside  of  your  knowledge.

Simple there are 6 billion people living in this tiny little planet in the middle of noware
This  logic  is  silly.  Food  is  practically  everywhere.  From  animals  to  plants.  If  my  God exist,  he  is  the  creator  of  the  universe  and  everything  in  it.  He  has  supplied  the  world  full  of  food.  The  question  is,  why  dont  governments  do  enough  to  prevent  starvation?  Its  not  as  if  the  food  isn't  out  there.  You  tell  a  guy  that  weights  700  pounds  that  food  isn't  plentiful.  Whether  one  chooses  to  go  out  and  hunt  whatever  he  can  catch  (which  is  what  people  have  done  for  thousands  of  years),  or  whether  one  eat  from  the  crop  of  the  soil,  God  has  supplied  the  world  with  more  than  enough  food.  So  i  dont  find  this  argument  appealing.

3. Why does God demand the death of so many innocent people in the Bible?
 God did not write the bible man did so the real question is : Why does a man demand the death of so many innocent people in the Bible?
God  by  definition  is  omnibenevolent.  So  if  he  commands  that  a  group  of  people  be  slaughtered,  then  he  has  good reasons  for  it.  Whether  or  not  you  agree  with  these  kind  of  actions  is  irrelevant.  You  are only  looking  at  things  from  a  earthly  perspective.  But  God  looks  at  things  from  a  eternal  perspective.  And  every  decesion  that  God  makes  is  the  right  decesion.  Third,  without  God  there  is  no  objective  moral  values  anyway.  So  on  a  atheistic  view  you  have  no  objective  right  to  criticize  Gods  judgment  unless  you  are  already  presupposing  a  certain  standard  of moral  values.  And  who  is  to  say  that  your  moral  values  are  any more  better  than  others?

4.Why does the Bible contain so much anti-scientific nonsense?
Like what?  The  bible  is  not  a  science  book

5. Why is God such a huge proponent of slavery in the Bible?
it could be that we are all toys to him/she/it hum.....
In  the  bible,  normally  slaves  were  taken  as  prisoner  of  war.  And  you  were  able  to  buy  back  your  freedom.  Being  a  slave  was  the price  that you  had  to  pay  for  being  a  enemy  of  Gods  chosen  people.  Slaves  were  taken  in  as  either  prisoners  of  war,  to  pay  off  debt,  or  they  entered  into  slavery  voluntarily.  After  six  years  of  service  slaves  were  to  be  let  free,  and  they  also  had  rights.  Which  is  different  from  the  type  of  slavery  that  existed  within  our  own  country  just  200  years  ago.

I  have  a  even  better  question.  Why  does  good  things  happen  to  bad  people?  Like  you  said...shit  happens.

7. Why didn't any of Jesus' miracles leave behind any evidence?
After drinking a lot off wine i to start to see things... but the next day they are gone. ( hi there who the hell are you man, and were is that girl from last night)
Name  one miracle  that  supposedly  happened,  that  there  could  be  evidence  of  it  today.

8. How do you explain the fact that Jesus has never appeared to you?
Jesus  is  God.  I  might  not  of  seen  Jesus/God  before,  but  the  creation  of  the universe  out  of  nothing,  the  fine  tuning  of  the universe,  the  realm  of  moral  values,  and  the  resurrection  of  Jesus  is  clear  evidence  in  my  eyes  that  he  exist.  I  never  seen  Henry  Ford  before,  but  i  seen  MANY  of  his  cars.

9. Why would Jesus want you to eat his body and drink his blood?
He  was  talking  metaphorically

10. Why do Christians get divorced at the same rate as non-Christians?
A  messed  up marriage  doesnt  discriminate  against  any  religion  or  cult

And  this  is  the  type  of  crap  i  waste  my  time  responding  to?  smh

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +64/-0
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2010, 06:53:42 PM »
This  logic  is  silly.  Food  is  practically  everywhere.  From  animals  to  plants.  If  my  God exist,  he  is  the  creator  of  the  universe  and  everything  in  it.  He  has  supplied  the  world  full  of  food.  The  question  is,  why  dont  governments  do  enough  to  prevent  starvation?  Its  not  as  if  the  food  isn't  out  there.  You  tell  a  guy  that  weights  700  pounds  that  food  isn't  plentiful.  Whether  one  chooses  to  go  out  and  hunt  whatever  he  can  catch  (which  is  what  people  have  done  for  thousands  of  years),  or  whether  one  eat  from  the  crop  of  the  soil,  God  has  supplied  the  world  with  more  than  enough  food.  So  i  dont  find  this  argument  appealing.

TO actually answer the second question you need to read the entire part of the video dealing with the question.

So the second question is: Why are there so many starving people in our world?

Look out at our world and notice that millions of children are dying of starvation. It really is horrific. Why would God be worried about you getting a raise, while at the same time ignoring the prayers of these desperate, innocent little children? It really doesn't make any sense, does it? Why would a loving god do this?

To explain it, you have to come up with some sort of very strange excuse for God. Like, "God wants these children to suffer and die for some divine, mysterious reason." Then you push it out of your mind because it absolutely does not fit with your view of a loving, caring God.
http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/video10.htm

The question really has nothing to do with the amount of food in the world. It has to do with why aren't those who are starving being feed when they pray for food[1], while at the same time people pray for something trivial, in this case a raise, get it and thank for god for giving it to them. Why aren't their crops being plentiful...

It's a question about prayer and prayers going unanswered.
 1. And I remember as a Christian I would pray for the starving children
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 06:57:04 PM by Emily »
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +80/-1
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2010, 01:03:32 AM »
God  by  definition  is  omnibenevolent.  So  if  he  commands  that  a  group  of  people  be  slaughtered,  then  he  has  good reasons  for  it.  Whether  or  not  you  agree  with  these  kind  of  actions  is  irrelevant.  You  are only  looking  at  things  from  a  earthly  perspective.  But  God  looks  at  things  from  a  eternal  perspective.  And  every  decesion  that  God  makes  is  the  right  decesion. 

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_itrJx2FJI[/youtube]

Third,  without  God  there  is  no  objective  moral  values  anyway.  So  on  a  atheistic  view  you  have  no  objective  right  to  criticize  Gods  judgment  unless  you  are  already  presupposing  a  certain  standard  of moral  values.  And  who  is  to  say  that  your  moral  values  are  any more  better  than  others?

Coming from someone defending genocide, this is laughable.

In  the  bible,  normally  slaves  were  taken  as  prisoner  of  war.  And  you  were  able  to  buy  back  your  freedom.  Being  a  slave  was  the price  that you  had  to  pay  for  being  a  enemy  of  Gods  chosen  people.  Slaves  were  taken  in  as  either  prisoners  of  war,  to  pay  off  debt,  or  they  entered  into  slavery  voluntarily.  After  six  years  of  service  slaves  were  to  be  let  free,  and  they  also  had  rights.  Which  is  different  from  the  type  of  slavery  that  existed  within  our  own  country  just  200  years  ago.

Imagine the same video as above, but with "stop defending slavery" instead.
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +367/-1
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2010, 02:39:07 AM »
You  have  no  way of knowing  or  proving  that  God  doesnt  have  morally  sufficient  reasons  for  this,  so  you have  to  simply  withold  judgement.

No, Majesty, I will *not* withhold judgement.  I am under no obligation to like something that I find distasteful, nor will I remain silent pending receipt of all relevant information.

God  by  definition  is  omnibenevolent.  So  if  he  commands  that  a  group  of  people  be  slaughtered,  then  he  has  good reasons  for  it.

You're kidding me, right?

One sentient being, anywhere in the universe, suffering against its will at the hands of your hypothetical god, forever negates omnibenevolence.  What you've done here is created a square circle -- A contradiction in terms.

Third,  without  God  there  is  no  objective  moral  values  anyway.

I say that there are no objective moral values, period.  The morals of your supposed deity are based on your deity's opinion of right and wrong, and are just as subjective as mortals' opinions of right and wrong.

Jesus  is  God.

Unsupported assertion.

I  might  not  of  seen  Jesus/God  before,  but  the  creation  of  the universe  out  of  nothing...

Unsupported assertion.  Please provide evidence that the universe was 'created' out of 'nothing'.

...the  fine  tuning  of  the universe...

What fine tuning?  The universe is mostly cold, virtually empty space with a scattering of large, hot, exploding things that occasionally crash into one another, and if we stray outside Earth's atmosphere without protective equipment we would die *very* quickly.  At this time of year, in my city, going outside in shirtsleeves and walking as little as half a mile would put your life in jeopardy.  Don't get me started on the Sahara, the top of Everest, or Antarctica.

...and  the  resurrection  of  Jesus...

Were you there?  Did you see it happen with your own eyes?

Majesty, people almost certainly do *not* come back from the dead.  Don't believe everything you read.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 03:18:40 AM by Astreja »
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline Grogan

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
    • I Deny God
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2010, 03:07:49 AM »
Hmmmm...anyone else notice that Majesty's post in this thread is extremely less articulate and verbose than his debate posts?

How curious.
Quote from: kenn
You want to understand God and the world around you through science and logic alone and, because you cannot come up with a "reasonable" explanation for what they ate when leaving the ark, you dismiss it.

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2010, 03:51:38 AM »
S*** happens...

I know this was posted about two months ago but when I read this I thought of:

Shit happens
http://4umi.com/image/other/shit-happens-poster.jpg

*It's a huge picture so I didn't want to post it here.  Only the word shit so I would say SFW*
La scienze non ha nemici ma gli ignoranti.

Offline rsilva081599

• Novice
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2010, 01:38:12 PM »
"There is no God, said the fool". God.

Offline gregoriodomingos

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
    • AZORES
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2010, 06:19:08 PM »

This  logic  is  silly.  Food  is  practically  everywhere.  From  animals  to  plants.  If  my  God exist,  he  is  the  creator  of  the  universe  and  everything  in  it.  He  has  supplied  the  world  full  of  food.  The  question  is,  why  don't  governments  do  enough  to  prevent  starvation?  Its  not  as  if  the  food  isn't  out  there.  You  tell  a  guy  that  weights  700  pounds  that  food  isn't  plentiful.  Whether  one  chooses  to  go  out  and  hunt  whatever  he  can  catch  (which  is  what  people  have  done  for  thousands  of  years),  or  whether  one  eat  from  the  crop  of  the  soil,  God  has  supplied  the  world  with  more  than  enough  food.  So  i  don't  find  this  argument  appealing.
Food  is  practically  everywhere????? the food supply in this planet is being exploited at or above capacity to feed just those ho can pay for food. Farms today are more industrial than industry was in the 18Th century. Food  is  practically  everywhere?????

in the us every spot of land near a water source is cultivated. all those green spots near the river are farms put there not by god but by mankind do not believe me here's a close up :

And here is a pic of the contry of Dubai, yes the hole country.

guess Wat no green means no farms. yea food is everywhere if you can eat sand....
get google earth and go check for your self

If  my  God exist. so you do admit that he could not exist??? And why is it your god??? if you are correct you are his (creation, servant, slave, bitch) and not the other way around.

yea Wright wen was the last time you,ve seen a guy  that  weights  700  pounds catch his dinner????

why  don't  governments  do  enough  to  prevent  starvation?
  I told you there is no economical interest to feed every one.

And  this  is  the  type  of  crap  i  waste  my  time  responding  to?  smh
Yes you waste your time being ignorant. waiting for eternal life and not living the one you have.

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +64/-0
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2010, 12:30:31 PM »
How about fixing the quotes so it doesn't seem that I said it [EDIT: The two middle quote blocks]. Just so there's no confusion among other people. All I was doing was giving you the part of the question from the transcript of the video.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 12:34:25 PM by Emily »

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline RaymondKHessel

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-3
  • Born with insight, and a raised fist.
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2010, 12:38:09 PM »
This  is  what  i  find  silly.  Hypothetically  speaking,  If  those people  prayed  to  God,  and  God  somehow  got  every  country  to  help  with  the  cause  of  feeding  all  starving  people,  so  that  NO  ONE  in  the  world  were  starving.  And  on  tv,  a  person  that  was  formally  starving  was  being  interviewed,  and  he/she  said  "I  knew  this  day  would  come!!!  I  knew  the  day would  come  when  our  prayers  were  answered,  and  the  Lord  would  hear  them  and  give  his  people  food,  with  the  help  of  other  countries.  Praise  the  Lord!!"  If  that  person  said  that,  can  you  honestly  sit  there  and  tell  me  that  you  would  accept  this  persons  word   that  it  was  the  Lord  that  answered  the  prayers?  I  dont  think  you  would.  Suppose  God  did  answer  the  prayers  of  the  people?  Would you  believe  in  it?  

LMAO... If mana magically rained down from the sky like it did in the Goatherder's Guide to the Universe or in Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs? Then yeah, I think I would.

If advances in agriculture allowed previously infertile lands to be transformed into productive tracts for crops, then no, I wouldn't. I would believe it was the result of mortal botanists, biologists, geneticsts, and other people genuinely worthy of praise, like Norman Borlaug. Man's saved BILLIONS from starving to death. And guess what? Pure human being. No glory for god. Too bad.

I'm going to start praying to the Keebler Elves that one day scientists/nutritionists will invent a calorie-free cookie. And when it finally happens, I will praise Ernie and the other elves loud and long, so that the nonbelievers will KNOW that the Keebler Tree is the nexus for all things delicious.

Sadly, some will still deny Ernie and his kin, despite this overwhelming evidence...  :( How I pity them.

Despite what the heathens say, the fact that the cookies will be made in a Chips Ahoy! factory in Cincinnati Ohio by a diabetic named Willy Hemholtz does not in any way invalidate my claim that Keebler Elves are the ones responsible. Ernie simply chose Mr. Hemholtz as his vessel for delivering this most healthy cookie recipe unto the world.

DUH. Just *think* about it people. It's really so simple! &)

EDITED: Removed speculation about Borlaug's religious beliefs. Apparently, nobody really knows, as Borlaug never discussed it. Which begs the question... How important to him could it have been?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 01:45:01 PM by RaymondKHessel »
Born with insight, and a raised fist.

Offline GetMeThere

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2010, 12:42:29 PM »

God  may  have morally  sufficient  reasons  for  permitting  pain  and  suffering,  and  that  would  include  victims  of  amputation.  As  long  as  it  is  even  possible  for  God  to  have  morally  sufficient  reasons  for  this,  then  him  allowing  it  doesnt  contradict  his  nature.  You  have  no  way of knowing  or  proving  that  God  doesnt  have  morally  sufficient  reasons  for  this,  so  you have  to  simply  withold  judgement.  And  by  not  withholding  judgment  you  are  simply  talking  about  circumstances  outside  of  your  knowledge.

This is really pathetic. First of all, it's practically a direct quote from WLC debates--Majesty, do you ANY of your own thoughts?

Secondly, it doesn't even address the issue--NOT AT ALL. The ISSUE raised by the question is: Why aren't prayers answered as promised in the bible? Although WLC claims to NOT be an inerrantist (I believe), the logical fact is that if there is error in the bible--and especially if one can't know god's reasons for acting or they seem confusing--then one CANNOT KNOW WHERE THE ERROR LIES. And so the bible becomes WORTHLESS as a source of truth. The topic of WWGHA can be addressed ONLY by directly addressing why the bible says one thing while reality says another.

Third, this is typical "apologist speak," which WLC specialises in: "Hey, anything could be true. We don't know how god is working things...THEREFORE, you can't make any argument against him in any way." Well, if you can't make an argument AGAINST something--because you can know nothing about it--then you can't make an argument FOR IT, either.

It's an argument from ignorance, and nothing more.

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +64/-0
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2010, 12:45:25 PM »
This  is  what  i  find  silly.  Hypothetically  speaking,  If  those people  prayed  to  God,  and  God  somehow  got  every  country  to  help  with  the  cause  of  feeding  all  starving  people,  so  that  NO  ONE  in  the  world  were  starving.  And  on  tv,  a  person  that  was  formally  starving  was  being  interviewed,  and  he/she  said  "I  knew  this  day  would  come!!!  I  knew  the  day would  come  when  our  prayers  were  answered,  and  the  Lord  would  hear  them  and  give  his  people  food,  with  the  help  of  other  countries.  Praise  the  Lord!!"  If  that  person  said  that,  can  you  honestly  sit  there  and  tell  me  that  you  would  accept  this  persons  word   that  it  was  the  Lord  that  answered  the  prayers?  I  dont  think  you  would.  Suppose  God  did  answer  the  prayers  of  the  people?  Would you  believe  in  it?

You just made god look like one cruel son of a bitch. I would LOVE absolutely LOVE to worship this god if he filled every single starving belly in the world.  

Its  funny  how  if  a  person  tell  you  that  their  prayers  were  answered,  you  wouldnt  believe  them,  since you  dont  believe  in  God  and prayer.  But  once  something  bad  is  happening,  you  are  QUICK  to  say  that  God  is  ignoring  prayer.  You  wont  believe  it  if  it  is  true,  but  you  wont  believe  it  if  you  assume  it  is  not  true.

Why do you think that is? Because there is suffering in the world but god seems more inclined to promote someone at work if that someone prayed for a promotion, then to end suffering. That makes god look like a douche.

Offline Majesty

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2010, 12:59:16 PM »
No, Majesty, I will *not* withhold judgement.  I am under no obligation to like something that I find distasteful, nor will I remain silent pending receipt of all relevant information.
Well,  you  are  entitled  to  have  your  opinion.  But  i  dont  know  who  told  you  otherwise,  but  God  doesnt  have  to live  up  to  man's expectations.  You  don't  know  what  God  is  looking  at  from  his  eternal  view.  Your  whole  logic  is  "i  dont  like  God  because  he  doesn't  live  up  to my  expectations."  And  thats  a  fine  position  to  take.  BUT,  does  that  mean  that  God  doesn't  exist?  NO.  Does  that  mean  that  God  isn't  morally  perfect  because  some  mere  humans  is  only  able  to  see  the  here  and  now  and  not  the  future  and  beyond?  NO.  And  another  thing,  without  God  there  would  be  no  objective moral  values  anyway.  Without  God,  we  are  all  animals.  And  life  is  meaningless.  What  do  you  care  about  someones  arm  being  amputated?  Does  it  effect  you?  On  a  atheistic  view,  nothing  matters.

You're kidding me, right?

One sentient being, anywhere in the universe, suffering against its will at the hands of your hypothetical god, forever negates omnibenevolence.  What you've done here is created a square circle -- A contradiction in terms.
Umm  i  fail  to  see  where  the  contradiction  lies.  The  person  that  was  suffering,  if  God  knew  that  the  suffering  would  result  in  that  person  turning  his  life  over  to  him  and  receiving  eternal  salvation,  then  the  suffering  was  for  the  better.   Thats  the  point,  you  dont  see  what  God  sees.  God's  will  SHALL  be  done,  regardless  of  what  you  think  or  feel. Now  that  may  not  be  a  good  enough  answer  for  you,  but  when  i  compare  what  you  think,  a  mere  human,  to  what  God  thinks,  the  ALMIGHTY,  then  im  sorry,  but  im  going  with  the  Almighty.  It  is  better  to  live  a  healthy  life  with  both  arms  and  legs  and  die  at  age  85  and  go  to  hell,  than  live  45  years  with  one  arm  then  die,  and  have  eternal  salvation.

I say that there are no objective moral values, period.  The morals of your supposed deity are based on your deity's opinion of right and wrong, and are just as subjective as mortals' opinions of right and wrong.
Well  since  you  say  that  there  are  no  objective  moral  values,  that  mean  that  raping  a  child  is  not  objectively  wrong.  Either  you  dont  know  what  "objective"  means.  Or  you  are  just  a  very  bad  person  lol.  You  said  it, not  me  lol.

Jesus  is  God.
Unsupported assertion.
Well,  John 1:1-14  tells  us  that  Jesus  is  God,  and  we  believe  that  this  is  true.  The  bible  tells  us  that  Jesus  is  God  just  like  history  books  tells  us  that  Ceasar  was  stabbed  and  that  Hannibal  rode  around  on  elephants. Based  on  your  logic,  all  of  this  is   unsupported,  and  you  have  no  way  of  knowing  not  only  whether  those  things  are  true,  but  whether  ANYTHING  in  history  is  true  as  the  historians  present  it.  So  if  you  question  every  other  historical  event  that  occured  like  you  question  the  bible,  your  logic  will  be  more  consistent.

Unsupported assertion.  Please provide evidence that the universe was 'created' out of 'nothing'.
As  i  stated  over  and  over  again  in those  other  forums,  the  Big Bang theory  is  the  best  explanation  for  the  origin  of  the  universe.  And  based  on  that  theory,  there  was  no  space,  time,  or  matter  before  the  Big Bang.  So  for  the  Big Bang  to  occur,  it  had  to  come  from  nothing.  But  we  know  through  observations  that  things  dont  just  pop  into  being  uncaused  out  of  nothing.  The  question  then  becomes,  what  was  the  cause  of  the  Big Bang?  And  i  have  both  philosophical  and  scienctific  evidence  that  is  in  favor  of  the  supernatural.  Now  if  you  disagree  with  the  Big Bang theory,  take  that up  with  Stephen Hawking,  who  said,  "Almost everyone now believes that the universe and time itself had a beginning at the Big Bang."  The Nature of Space and Time

What fine tuning?  The universe is mostly cold, virtually empty space with a scattering of large, hot, exploding things that occasionally crash into one another, and if we stray outside Earth's atmosphere without protective equipment we would die *very* quickly.  At this time of year, in my city, going outside in shirtsleeves and walking as little as half a mile would put your life in jeopardy.  Don't get me started on the Sahara, the top of Everest, or Antarctica.
What  i  mean  by  fine  tuning  is,  the  odds  of  us  living  in  a  life  permitting  universe  is  so  high  that  it  should  not  be  looked  at  as  random  or  chance.  I  dont  have  the  stats  to  throw  at  you  now,  lucky  for  you.  But  this  is  not  something  that  is  new.  Physicists  understand  how  fine  tuned  the universe  is  and  if  you  continue  to doubt  this  then  i  will  be  forced  to  throw  a  couple  of  numbers  at  you  regarding  the  fine  tuning  and  also  give  you  quotes  from  famous  Physicist  regarding  the  matter.

Were you there?  Did you see it happen with your own eyes?
Like  i  said  previously,  history  is  a  very  subjective  subject.  Furthermore,  based  on  your  logic,  since  neither  of  us  were  there,  then  i  shouldnt  say  that  the  resurrection  occured,  just  like  you  cant  say  that  it  didn't  occur.  Some  logic.

Majesty, people almost certainly do *not* come back from the dead.  Don't believe everything you read.
Well,  just  like  you  asked  me,  were  you  there?  If  you  wasn't  there  then how  can  you  deny  it?  You  have  to  withhold  judgment  and  say  "i  dont  know".  Jesus  is  God,  and  as  God,  he  is  has  supreme  authority  over  life  AND  death.  To  easy  lol.

Offline RaymondKHessel

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-3
  • Born with insight, and a raised fist.
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2010, 01:15:14 PM »
Well,  just  like  you  asked  me,  were  you  there?  If  you  wasn't  there  then how  can  you  deny  it?  You  have  to  withhold  judgment  and  say  "i  dont  know".  Jesus  is  God,  and  as  God,  he  is  has  supreme  authority  over  life  AND  death.  To  easy  lol.

Because in all of recorded history, it's never happened?  :-\ That's a pretty good indicator. I don't have to withhold judgment of anything. You worship a magical Jewish zombie with superpowers, who only exists within the pages of a 2,000 year old boogie-man book of ancient superstition. Somewhere between the enchanted goat fornication and the big wooden boat and the live-inside-a-fishy stories, I think I'm entitled to be skeptical.

You weren't there to deny that George Washington drove a BMW either, were you? But you can conclude, based on what you know about the actual world, it probably didn't happen.

The bible also tells you how to cure leporasy by rubbing animal blood on yourself. Go contract leporasy and give it a shot, if you're so confident lol.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 01:30:58 PM by RaymondKHessel »
Born with insight, and a raised fist.