Author Topic: The God Virus: How religion infects our lives and culture  (Read 1395 times)

Offline Star Stuff

• Professor
  • Darwins +146/-2
  • Carbon-based life form.
God is an Imaginary Friend for Grown-ups

Offline Star Stuff

• Professor
  • Darwins +146/-2
Re: The God Virus: How religion infects our lives and culture
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 07:49:37 PM »
Just started this, and while I'm only up to chapter 2, so far this book is excellent.  Highly recommended.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 08:29:50 PM »
Is there something we can take for this.  A shot of reason or something?
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Star Stuff

• Professor
  • Darwins +146/-2
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 12:39:15 AM »
Just finished this book.  I've read many of the books that have come out in the last several years which tackle & debunk religion in general and christianity in particular, but this one stands out as being different than the usual polemic.  It is fascinating how the author illustrates how religious belief parallels biological viruses/infections, and how the virus protects itself from attack. So true, it's beyond analogy.  It's especially illuminating to read if one has lived in the delusion in their past (as I and the author have); the material really rings true.

You can find many reviews on the Amazon.com site.  I highly recommend this book.

(The author has a Facebook page too).

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
    • Economics and Technology
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 10:48:07 PM »
Just finished this book.  I've read many of the books that have come out in the last several years which tackle & debunk religion in general and christianity in particular, but this one stands out as being different than the usual polemic.  It is fascinating how the author illustrates how religious belief parallels biological viruses/infections, and how the virus protects itself from attack. So true, it's beyond analogy.  It's especially illuminating to read if one has lived in the delusion in their past (as I and the author have); the material really rings true.

You can find many reviews on the Amazon.com site.  I highly recommend this book.

(The author has a Facebook page too).
Now that you've said this, I may read it if I get the chance.  It's not fiction, so it should be something that can keep my interest longer than 5 min..  (Harry potter sucks, reading Dumbledor's stuff was the only entertainment)
"If you find yourself reaching for the light, first realize that it has already touched your finger."
"If I were your god, I would have no reason for judgement, and you have all told endless lies about me.  Wait - you do already. I am not amused by your ignorance, thoughtlessness, and shallow mind."

Offline Poseidon

• Graduate
  • Darwins +24/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 11:48:47 PM »
This one occupies a space on my bookshelves. This is a good read but not a must read. The author uses the virus metaphor ad nauseum. The premise is very enticing and it would be easy to believe that the virus actually exists. Well maybe it does actually exist. It could explain away a lot of the behaviour that atheists percieve as madness. The book does a pretty good job of planting those thoughts in the readers mind.

Offline Star Stuff

• Professor
  • Darwins +146/-2
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 07:47:43 AM »
The author uses the virus metaphor ad nauseum. The premise is very enticing and it would be easy to believe that the virus actually exists. Well maybe it does actually exist. It could explain away a lot of the behaviour that atheists percieve as madness. The book does a pretty good job of planting those thoughts in the readers mind.

I never got the impression that the author is suggesting that such a virus actually exists, rather, that religious belief operates and reacts much like a virus.

I maintain that this is a must read.

Offline Star Stuff

• Professor
  • Darwins +146/-2
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 11:45:04 PM »
Part 1 of 9:

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 01:50:19 PM »
Matt D. is the man.

We should start watching that show live and post during it.... just an idea.
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin