Author Topic: McCain VP Pick is a Creationist  (Read 2000 times)

Offline jedweber

• Fellow
  • Darwins +19/-0
  • Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch
McCain VP Pick is a Creationist
« on: August 29, 2008, 12:32:44 PM »
Alaska governor Sarah Palin is apparently a creationist:

http://scienceblogs.com/afarensis/2006/10/27/intelligent_design_and_the_ala/
The volatile issue of teaching creation science in public schools popped up in the Alaska governor's race this week when Republican Sarah Palin said she thinks creationism should be taught alongside evolution in the state's public classrooms.

Palin was answering a question from the moderator near the conclusion of Wednesday night's televised debate on KAKM Channel 7 when she said, 'Teach both. You know, don't be afraid of information. Healthy debate is so important, and it's so valuable in our schools. I am a proponent of teaching both.'
Asked for her personal views on evolution, Palin said, "I believe we have a creator."
She would not say whether her belief also allowed her to accept the theory of evolution as fact.

She's also a global warming skeptic:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/8/29/124640/036/945/578739

Offline Vynn

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • 1st an infidel, then a heretic, now an atheist!
Re: McCain VP Pick is a Creationist
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 12:55:44 PM »
She wants creationism taught in school. Okay, which myths specifically?

Offline Vynn

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • 1st an infidel, then a heretic, now an atheist!
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 01:01:18 PM »

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 01:31:37 PM »
Unforunately, many voters would reply to this conversation like this;

I can tell, you're one of those 'elites', right?  What's wrong with teaching all sides of the story?

I've pointed out to a few people what's wrong with this type of thinking.  I have told others that they should see what happens in a few years and that they should remember the conversation where I told them to check the details for themselves -- to talk with the scientists.

This anti-intellectualism is nuts.  Sure, don't take someone's word for it just because they have a degree in the subject ... but what's wrong with actually looking to see for yourself and not taking the word of someone who has zero experience?
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline Davedave

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • I'm back, hoes.
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 01:34:37 PM »
The theory of evolution is NOT fact.  The fact of evolution is fact.  The fact of evolution is that our ancestors were non-human primates.  The theory of evolution is that this happened as a result of a process of natural selection.

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 02:07:56 PM »
I didn't say otherwise.
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline Davedave

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • I'm back, hoes.
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 02:09:52 PM »
No, but the OP contained a quote that confused the two.

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2008, 02:26:14 PM »
OK.

Offline Cyberia

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +35/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2008, 08:24:32 PM »
I just posted this same thing in the Debates forum (where it should be, not in Science)

Basically McCain is clearly senile, and just sank his own boat.
Soon we will judge angels.

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2008, 08:30:37 PM »
He's white though.  Bigotry and ignorance have large constituent groups.

Here's my prediction: McCain wins by a 15% margin because bigots and religious fanatics vote and young people don't.

Offline TownL7

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 06:56:11 PM »
Aren't all the candidates creationist this year?

Offline hideousmonster

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2008, 06:56:08 AM »
That's an interesting point of view for her to have, but seeing as how I'm no longer in school, and I already know creationism is false, I'm a little bit more concerned about the candidates views on taxes, welfare, the supreme court, the economy, and the iraq war.
If a tree fell in a forest, and the people around to hear it were not scientists conducting a controlled audio experiment... did it make a sound?

Offline snkiesch

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2008, 08:43:53 AM »
Here's my prediction: McCain wins by a 15% margin because bigots and religious fanatics vote and young people don't.

I see things different, many evangelists will not vote because of their options. McCain is divorced and has a woman VP, they will say Palin's 17yo daughter would not be pregnant if her mother had taken her biblical role as god had intended. They will not vote for a democrat because of the abortion issue.

I think many woman will vote who may not of because of the abortion issue. Paul White(86) and Ruth Ginsberg (75) are probably the next two to retire from the Supreme Court. A republican president naming two more conservatives to the SC would make 7-2 conservative majority. RoeVWade would disappear.  Americans have short memories though,  I may be wrong. I thought Terry Shiavo case would convince people of the need to separate religion from government but Bush was still re-elected.
"The evangelists were inventors – not historians."

– Porphyry (Against the Christians, c. 280 AD)

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2008, 09:20:13 AM »

I see things different, many evangelists will not vote because of their options. McCain is divorced and has a woman VP, they will say Palin's 17yo daughter would not be pregnant if her mother had taken her biblical role as god had intended. They will not vote for a democrat because of the abortion issue.

They will suck it up and vote for McCain ... besides, Sarah Palin is one of them while McCain is not.  They can hope that 'God will strike him down'.  Remember: Though it was British politics, they loved Thatcher.  Letting a Muslim, black, Democrat take the oval office would be too much for them.  (Yes, I know he's not a Muslim.  The point is it doesn't matter much what reality is these days.)

I think many woman will vote who may not of because of the abortion issue. Paul White(86) and Ruth Ginsberg (75) are probably the next two to retire from the Supreme Court. A republican president naming two more conservatives to the SC would make 7-2 conservative majority. RoeVWade would disappear.  Americans have short memories though,  I may be wrong. I thought Terry Shiavo case would convince people of the need to separate religion from government but Bush was still re-elected.

I don't think most people believe RvW will go away.  They will be lax and will not vote ... and will complain later.  #uck em.  They should have been paying attention in 2000 and 2004.

Offline singlecrochet

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2008, 12:03:55 PM »
I'm just scared.  That's all I can say.  What the f*** am I going to do if McCain is elected?  I was nearly suicidal when Bush was re-elected in '04.  I honestly thought it wasn't possible.  (The fact that I was also having a miscarriage did not help my emotional state.)

Thank goodness I have friends in Canada who will sponsor me and my family if we decide to ditch this place when the sh** hits the fan.
"All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit."
Thomas Paine

"P.S. I pray God sees to it that you get presents this year." - Deelvrd

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2008, 12:20:44 PM »
Well, as they say in Chicago; vote early, vote often.