Author Topic: Hey [#297]  (Read 468 times)

Offline DL

Hey [#297]
« on: August 26, 2008, 09:02:38 PM »

Do you get lots of hate mail? Cuz i figure you do.
Well anyways I wan't to ask what is the point of you making your videos. PLEASE DONT TAKE THIS THE WRONG WAY. Im not saying your videos are pointless, and i am not flaming you. Im just asking. I figure that you understand a truly religious person will not so easily change his/her views. So why do you bother making these videos? What is your goal? Again dont take this the wrong way please i am just asking. I do not believe in God nor do i believe in any god/dess. I am not Christian so i am not hating and i am not trying to "convert" you [sorry i have to point this out multiple time but lots of people misinterpret what i say]. i just really want to know. Why are you making these videos?

Offline CosmicScherzo

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • What would Jesus brew?
Re: Hey [#297]
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 12:50:51 AM »
To get you talking.  I guess it worked.
"What claim has your piety on my deference?"

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 08:25:49 AM »
Why make these videos?  I can't speak for the makers of the videos, but I can tell you what I think.

The audience -- normal day-to-day Christians who can think as opposed to ones who are proud of being ignorant -- doesn't fuss too much about religious beliefs.  Yet, automatically when they hear someone else is Christian they assume that that other person is more moral and that atheists or other non-Christians are less moral.  This is not true.  Overall, Christians are less moral than atheists and many other religious groups.

The bottom line is that religion and specifically Christians are out of control.  They have leaders that are proponents of bad ideas. Ideas that get people killed and saddles my country (USA) with debts that should not be there.  I'm sure to you this is not an abstraction.

If people -- including Christians -- were made aware that they don't have a basis for what they think is morality, they may moderate what they think about other non-Christians.  Some of them even drop Christianity all together.
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline AidsDealer

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Open 24 Hours A Day
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 08:30:36 AM »
Who did make the videos anyhow?
It may not the good news, but it's great news.

Stephen Colbert

Offline Doubting Thomas

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 08:00:45 AM »
Marsahall Brain made the videos, I think he does a good job at making videos.  He sees christianity as a problem.  I mean I know it is one thing to be convinced there is no God, but it is a little odd to say "It is a proven fact there is no God."  I mean at least acknowledge you haven't proven there is no God, and we only know for certain what can be proven.

Offline AidsDealer

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Open 24 Hours A Day
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 08:14:54 AM »
is he on this forum?
It may not the good news, but it's great news.

Stephen Colbert

Offline Doubting Thomas

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 08:19:13 AM »
He never posts here, just about anyways, you'll never hear from him really, but sometimes I think he'll respond to his blog but I have yet to see that either.

Try
http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/blog

If you like the forum you'll love the blog, especially if you are an atheist.

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 08:55:48 AM »
Wow...I didn't know there was a blog.

M.B. should post it from another site, though, so his links to WWGHA itself would be given a little boost in the google page rank.
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer