Author Topic: Mythbusters Poke Holes in Moon Hoax Arguments!  (Read 1888 times)

Offline WellManicuredMan

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
Mythbusters Poke Holes in Moon Hoax Arguments!
« on: August 27, 2008, 09:20:04 PM »
In tonight's new episode of Mythbusters, Adam Savage and Jamie Hyneman took aim at the arguments put forth by people who believed that NASA's history trip to the moon was staged and demolished them. Specifically:

1. The several photos "look faked." Busted! The first instance, in which shadows cast by lunar terrain appear non-perpendicular, is due to lunar topography; the second, dealing with an astronaut in the lunar module's shadow, is due to the lunar surface's high albedo.

2. The flag is waving, which "shouldn't happen on the moon." Busted! A flag moving on the momentum produced by its movement by human hands will actually move for a longer time in a vacuum than in an atmosphere due to the lack of air friction and such.

3. The famous lunar footprint is "too well-defined." Busted! Dry sand/dust on Earth does not leave a good footprint because the particles are eroded and do not stick together well. Dry lunar dust, however, is jagged, and sticks together much more easily, even when completely dry, than Earth dust.

4. The astronauts hopped around normally on a stage and the framerate was slowed down. Busted! Even slowing down the framerate would not erase all traces of Earth's strong gravitational pull.

And, to put the final nail in the conspiracy's coffin, Adam and Jamie shine a powerful laser onto the moon's surface where the astronauts left a reflector and confirm that humans have been on the moon.

Of course, this doesn't prove that the moon landing wasn't a hoax; it just shows that there's no evidence to think so. And how many times has that stopped anyone from believing crazy stuff? ;)

Here's a Wikipedia mention of the episode: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythBusters_(season_7)#Episode_104_-_NASA_Moon_Landing

Offline Vynn

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • 1st an infidel, then a heretic, now an atheist!
Re: Mythbusters Poke Holes in Moon Hoax Arguments!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 09:23:13 PM »
Damn, i wanted to watch that one!

Cool beans!

Offline WellManicuredMan

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 09:25:07 PM »
Damn, i wanted to watch that one!

Cool beans!

You missed a really great episode.

Offline Vynn

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • 1st an infidel, then a heretic, now an atheist!
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 09:29:19 PM »
You missed a really great episode.

It comes on again in a few hours. I've set my digital recorder.

Offline Cyberia

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +35/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 09:48:45 PM »
BS.  The Moon itself is a lie.   ;D

On a side note, I encourage people to call the moon by it's real name: Luna.  "The Moon" just won't do.
Soon we will judge angels.

Offline WellManicuredMan

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 09:53:49 PM »
BS.  The Moon itself is a lie.   ;D

The moon is true, the cake is a lie.

Offline bahramthered

• Fellow
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 09:06:50 PM »
I'm not sold, and the show didn't prove anything:

Point 1: So the light trick might work on the moon. Dosn't prove or disprove the landing, just the argument for photo.

Point 3: They got the dust they tested from nasa. Isn't that the fox guarding the hen house? Couldn't nasa have screwed with the dust and said it was authentic?

Point 4: They showed movement consistent with low gravity motion. But nasa knew that before the moon launch. Couldn't they have rigged it to appear that way based on the pre space flight research?

Point 5: The laser just proves there's something reflective up there, not how it got there or even that it's human. A missile style probe could have got there and been shiny enough to bounce the laser off, or it might even be a shiny metorite. I mean landers make it to mars...

I don't beleive any of this, I'm just pointing out it's possible. Once again mythbusters make wild assumtions about things and take them as proof.

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 09:21:46 PM »
On a side note, I encourage people to call the moon by it's real name: Luna.  "The Moon" just won't do.

That's just crazy!   [leaps behind asbestos wall]
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline spider

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • ATT ambassador
    • Atheist Think Tank
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 09:56:17 PM »
I don't beleive any of this, I'm just pointing out it's possible. Once again mythbusters make wild assumtions about things and take them as proof.
What would it take to convince you?  This is a serious question.  The points you listed suggest that you won't be satisfied until you've gone up to the moon yourself and had a look - even then...   

Offline bahramthered

• Fellow
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 06:38:51 PM »
That'd work for me  ;D Quick visit just to see.

Alternativy if we could actually see some of the stuff with a telescope it might satisfy me.

Like I said I don' belive those points, I just think the mythbusters didn't prove anything. And like they said throughout the show, they where just showing things were possible.

John4:20

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 06:55:19 PM »
Science is the absolution of fact for me, and science tells me that NASA DID land on the moon, and by golly that's good enough for me!!

Offline bahramthered

• Fellow
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2008, 06:32:34 AM »
So you inherently trust a someone because they claim to be a scientist? They never ever lie and are always so nice.

Care to volunteer for a Tuskegee style experiment?

Offline Frank

• Reader
  • Darwins +38/-20
  • You're doin' my head in!!
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2008, 09:17:57 AM »
You mean Wallace and Gromit lied to me and the moon IS NOT made of cheese! >:(
"Atheism is not a mission to convert the world. It only seems that way because when other religions fall away, atheism is what is left behind".